£100 a month food budget for two

Soldato
I actually tried one of those this weekend.
£3.20 = 2 tins of beef stewed in gravy

this is a joke yes .. you can buy 400g of stewing steak or mince for similar price (eg waitrose 3/£10) or probably cheapeer @Aldi ...
some additional electrcity for the prep ... but otherwise, night & ...

Caporegime
this is a joke yes .. you can buy 400g of stewing steak or mince for similar price (eg waitrose 3/£10) or probably cheapeer @Aldi ...

If on offer yeah, however the cheapest beef at Tesco is £6.48/kg vs the £6.11/kg of this, plus as you say, the difference in energy use to cook and time spent prepping.

The cheap beef stewing steak takes a long time to get tender, so if you don't have a slow cooker you are going to be spending a surprising amount on energy costs.

Even with conservative estimates of 15p/kWh and an oven using 1000w for a low heat and cooking the meat for 3 hours until tender, that adds 45p to the cost of the meal.

Seems like nothing, but if you are really trying to scrimp and save, every little helps ;)

Soldato

Even I think this is wrong! Beef stew in a can? Hate to think what or where it is from.

Soldato
Even I think this is wrong! Beef stew in a can? Hate to think what or where it is from.

It will be largely the same as the 'smart price'/'value' fresh beef, there's considerably less wastage due to how long canned goods keep vs fresh which is why they can both process it and sell it for less than the raw goods. Same reason frozen is often cheaper than fresh.

Saying that I would never buy tinned beef :p

Caporegime

And I never have previously as the idea of any canned meat just conjures up dog/cat food imagery, however I would be lying if I didn't think after washing and being prepared in the dish it tasted perfectly fine, like any other slow-cooked, pulled beef.

If I was eating it on it's own, like when I make normal pulled beef, I probably wouldn't risk it. :p

Soldato
It will be largely the same as the 'smart price'/'value' fresh beef, there's considerably less wastage due to how long canned goods keep vs fresh which is why they can both process it and sell it for less than the raw goods. Same reason frozen is often cheaper than fresh.

More the fact it mechanically removed, so not real cuts and connective tissue. That's if its actually beef.

Soldato
More the fact it mechanically removed, so not real cuts and connective tissue. That's if its actually beef.

They won't be mechanically separated, as they're sold as 'steak' or 'diced beef' they legally have to comply to that definition, Krooton would have to confirm but I assume they're also in largish pieces rather than just mush?

Any mechanically separated beef (which is less common than chicken etc.) is basically a puree and will only be used for things like beef sausages.

Might be horse though.

Soldato
Saw itv now have a competitor (cut your shopping in half) to Greg's bbc show, multiplexed that with masterchef last night -
- I'm surprised Asda can't complain to ASA - they deprecated their fresh bread + pizzas because they were from frozen dough and 2x the cost of pre-packed,
ignoring that taste may not be the same. was a 55p 'wholemeal' loaf pre-pack,
- They extolled red tractor animal welfare support standards without questioning them
- similarly suggested the industry wine 'prizes'/awards should be accepted, as read.
family with 3 kids was spending £125p/w inc alcohol.

If on offer yeah, however the cheapest beef at Tesco is £6.48/kg vs the £6.11/kg of this
you buy stuff and freeze when on offer ... it's like the xmas and spring deals on beef and lamb joints the supermarkets have. - hotuk's a good resource.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Nothing stashed for "in case of emergency" but then i live in a Town with 24hr shopping.

When i lived in the sticks had a few bottles of water that never got used, along with pasta, herbs and tinned tomatoes.

Soldato
I always make sure I've got some tinned stuff in the cupboard, tuna, beans, tomatoes etc, as well as dried pasta and some bottled water.

I'm not driving at the moment so it's handy to have in just in case, there's regularly issues with the water pipes in my area and I've had a couple of times where really bad weather has stopped me from being able to go out easily. Not so much a problem outside of winter months thankfully.

Permabanned
nuclear holocaust no ..lol .. but it would only take the leccy to go down for 48 hrs in a small city and things would go wild ..of course it would only be a week or 2 before things got back to normal .
I have a basic 3 week supply carbs protein water .. all vac packed ..be prepared ..

Soldato
LOL a fully payed up survivalist .. next in the vac pack

In the basement were 80 barrels, each weighing 360 pounds.
They were filled with bags of rice, flour, sugar, dried beans, pancake and chocolate mixes, seeds and lots of other things that do not spoil and are easy to prepare.

Many of them laughed at the endeavor. Still, Badame, an architectural engineer, designed the house to be big enough for all of them and stocked up. Over the years, Badame estimates that he and Phyliss spent $1 million on their effort.

Associate
nuclear holocaust no ..lol .. but it would only take the leccy to go down for 48 hrs in a small city and things would go wild ..of course it would only be a week or 2 before things got back to normal .
I have a basic 3 week supply carbs protein water .. all vac packed ..be prepared ..

48 hours? It's enough with a warning of a bad storm/any snow and the supermarkets gets empited on everything....

Back
Top Bottom