Bristol to become the UK's first city to ban diesel cars from entering parts of the city centre

Associate
This sounds like a pretty good way to convert people to petrol vehicles, give it a few years and other cities will be rolling this out i bet :D 21 years to ban both petrol and diesel, a lot of work to do

Soldato
I wish they’d apply the same requirements to trains, the general air quality is dire on train stations. Especially those which are covered or where trains terminate. They always leave the engines idling spewing out fumes across the platforms.

I'd almost forgotten diesel trains were still a thing until I was down in Coventry recently for a training course. The noise from them was immense too.

Associate
Audi A4 1.8 TFSI - CO2 emissions of 151g/km, NOX emissions of 0.027g/km
Mercedes E220D - CO2 emissions of 135g/km, NOX emissions of 0.023g/km

And which gets banned...

Associate
I'd almost forgotten diesel trains were still a thing until I was down in Coventry recently for a training course. The noise from them was immense too.

Lots of 'em down here.. Bath/Bristol has escaped electrification.
Personally speaking, the sound of an HST's taps being opened is one of the best sounds on Earth.
But then I do love a big diesel engine anyway..

Caporegime

Diesel trains are everywhere outside of certain mainlines. Smaller branch lines in particular.

Soldato
So in the end it won't be any cheaper :D
Of course not, still need to make the same level of tax income overall. Early adopters atm are quids in but once the majority are on on elec the cost of running will increase massively.

The only saving grace is the cars might resemble being affordable by then.

Associate
More taxation on electricity perhaps? They will get it from somewhere.

This worries me because unlike petrol/diesel where if the prices go up, you just cut back on unnecessary journeys or prioritise an economical car etc. You cant not power your house though, so if they increase energy bills to offset electric cars they are also shafting our homes as well.

Soldato
This worries me because unlike petrol/diesel where if the prices go up, you just cut back on unnecessary journeys or prioritise an economical car etc. You cant not power your house though, so if they increase energy bills to offset electric cars they are also shafting our homes as well.

It might be possible with smart meters, for them to charge different rates, so they detect a electric car charging you pay more for the unit than you do for general house stuff.

Soldato
Lots of 'em down here.. Bath/Bristol has escaped electrification.
Personally speaking, the sound of an HST's taps being opened is one of the best sounds on Earth.
But then I do love a big diesel engine anyway..

That's only because the work required to electrify that section of the railway cost more than what was originally quoted for. They ran way over budget just doing North Wiltshire and stopped at Chippenham. Now all new trains have to be a hybrid from Chippenham onwards.

They massively oversold the idea and under estimated the work and cost.

Soldato
It might be possible with smart meters, for them to charge different rates, so they detect a electric car charging you pay more for the unit than you do for general house stuff.

That would be super easy to bypass. Especially as most houses dont have a "smart" meter and people are refusing to let them be installed.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
That would be super easy to bypass. Especially as most houses dont have a "smart" meter and people are refusing to let them be installed.
Even if smart meters were installed throughout, the idea would be a non starter. There would be nothing to stop someone using an adapter and a normal socket anywhere around their property.

Back
Top Bottom