Royalties on online streaming services

Soldato
Like Spotify or Netflix.

As it's online streaming I guess unlike with traditional television, they can tell exactly how many times something is viewed/listened to.

Are the royalties to the artist then paid out accordingly?

Or in a much simpler way, every time I listen to a track by my favourite band on Spotify, do they make a tiny little bit more money from me doing this?

Soldato
Just found this from another artist:

Total number of streams: 1,023,501

Total revenue: $4,955.90

Specific time period accounted: 10/15/2013 – 2/15/2013

(March, April, May periods not yet reported; estimated)

Average per-stream payout: $0.004891

Soldato
OP
Just found this from another artist:

Total number of streams: 1,023,501

Total revenue: $4,955.90

Specific time period accounted: 10/15/2013 – 2/15/2013

(March, April, May periods not yet reported; estimated)

Average per-stream payout: $0.004891

Very cool, so roughly how many times would you need to listen to an artist to make them a penny?

(Sorry my maths are so trash)

Soldato
Thing is you get more for youtube views now days. You see YouTube pushing their paid sub a lot more and I know people who have moved from spotify to youtube for this reason. Artists have huge channels there. Take Ed Sheeran for example, his is one of the most viewed UK based channels. In fact according to social blade there are 2 channels and his earnings per year are combined, between $1m - 12m for the year. Large band, sure, but if it's anywhere in that range you're actually making some decent wedge from your music, compared to on spotify.

Soldato
OK, looking at that example, you have Ed on spotify, who in 2018 got roughly 5b streams, which based on the above pay per stream would still net him $24,455,000 :O

That being said, he's on about 500m views for the year on YouTube, so if he gets a middle estimate of $6m for those, which would be about $0.012 per watch.

Soldato
OP
But I guess there isn't any exclusivity, so unless an artist is concerned they will loose record sales to online streaming, there is no harm in whacking your stuff across as many of these services as possible provided they are legitimate and pay royalties.

Soldato
Assuming I bought a cd for £5 with 10 tracks and listened to it 100 times in my life, with the artist receiving 20% of the sale, what would they earn? 0.1p per listen? Considering many now get to "sell" their songs to people who would have never bought their album in the fist place I can't imagine they are particularly worse off.

Soldato
Assuming I bought a cd for £5 with 10 tracks and listened to it 100 times in my life, with the artist receiving 20% of the sale, what would they earn? 0.1p per listen? Considering many now get to "sell" their songs to people who would have never bought their album in the fist place I can't imagine they are particularly worse off.
From a CD the artist gets the fixed fee like the 20% you suggest, once. Regardless of how many times you listen to a CD the artist gets the single payment of 20%. When streamed online the artist gets a fixed fee per play where each play earns an extremely small amount, PRS agree this small fee with the streaming bodies.
Andi.

Soldato
From a CD the artist gets the fixed fee like the 20% you suggest, once. Regardless of how many times you listen to a CD the artist gets the single payment of 20%. When streamed online the artist gets a fixed fee per play where each play earns an extremely small amount, PRS agree this small fee with the streaming bodies.
Andi.
So does that make it good, bad or just different?

Back
Top Bottom