Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
@Dup Wow you’ve got me beat in that Lakeland 50! That’s a plan for next year I think. Check our Ascend Events. They do one called the Four passes which looks brilliant.

I fancied the grizedale HM the same organisers do but it was sold out so went with the 18m version.

I’m likely to use White Coppice as my training runs. If you ever fancy a slow training partner give me a shout! I looked at the Darwen Jackels Run and the night Howler run in December but based on some comments it might be a big brutal!

@BIGWEB 95kg isn’t too bad. If you’re wearing our trainings at that weight then maybe technique is an issue. Maybe try out a local running club? They could help with coaching.

Soldato
This parking somewhere and running home is working brilliantly. There's no way i'd have got up at 6am this morning otherwise, given it was so frosty.

Would prefer it to be the other day round (uphill after work and downhill in the morning), but the way it is is actually better for training as i finish the evening run around 7pm, then start the morning run at 6am. That only gives 11hrs recovery so i have to force myself up the inclines with slightly tired legs which should help later on in longer, hillier runs.

My headphones have also started refusing to charge. It was actually quite pleasant running without music and i seemed to concentrate much more on breathing.

Last edited:
Soldato
Back into running again after a break. Somehow forgot how much better I felt when getting out there. Currently training for a half marathon using a Garmin FR 245 and Garmin Coach. Also been binge watching David Goggins and Courtney Dauwalter for inspiration.

Soldato
Got my Inov-8 Roclites yesterday. Not sure if there was a manufacturing defect, but the material was a bit twisted near the start of the laces. Only happened on one shoe. Plus they felt very tight even in a 1/2 size up from my normal size. I wore them around the house and my feet had a dull ache by the time i took them off.

Returned them today and tried the Brooks Cascadia 14, Saucony Peregrine ISO and Hoka Speedgoat 3.

Rules the Cascadia out pretty quick, my heel seemed to move around too much, they do it in my Brooks Ghost a little too and i'm not a fan. Then moved onto the Peregrine ISO. These fit brilliantly. Then tried the Hoka's on. Holy crap do they feel weird. They have a weird "rocking" kind of feel to them which took a little getting used to on the treadmill.

Spoke to the guy about the differences and ended up settling with the Hoka's. Hopefully i'll asjust to running in them more, but he said he uses them for fell running and feels they're really good for his ankles on uneven ground which i think will be beneficial for me.

@Dup If you haven't already i think the Saucony Peregrines would be great for you. There's very little cushioning in them and they're pretty low profile. Not really what i wanted but sound like what you're after.

Soldato
Signed up for a half marathon in 2 weeks time. Longest runs to date have been 3 10ks . First one at the end of my triathlon in September, then the hilly section of the half last week (650ft elevation gain in 5.5miles) then the flat(er) section of it last night which was a 57 min 10k with the 2nd 5k being 27 mins which I was pretty pleased with.

I'll be happy with a 2 hour half. Just need to loosen up my hip flexor which always starts niggling me in the latter stages of a run

Keep being busy when park run is on but going to start making an effort to go

Also got some new shoes for free following a warranty claim from Saloman so picked up a pair of Sense Max 2s as I will be doing a mix of road/trail running

Soldato
Good luck. With those times I’d say 2.5 hrs should definitely be doable. If not a bit quicker.

My Apple Watch messed up again today. I went for a very hilly run with about 700ft or climb over 2 miles.

was very muddy and boggy for a lot of it so was pretty damn slow. I also got lost quite a bit and at one point I went through one field, then down a very muddy bank and through a stream which definitely wasn’t on my route planner.

And then even though my watch was set to “lock” when I finished I had about 5 workouts. The first 10 miles and then lots of little breaks of around 0.5 miles as a mixture of running, walking and cycling as the watch just kept ending and starting new workouts.

Ended up at around 13 miles I think and had planned to do 8.

I really enjoy running off road. I even took my headphones out after 40 mins. Also loved my new trainers. So much grip on wet smooth stones I couldn’t believe how confident I was over them. Could feel them sticking on the tarmac too for a brief road section.

Soldato
I really enjoy running off road. I even took my headphones out after 40 mins. Also loved my new trainers. So much grip on wet smooth stones I couldn’t believe how confident I was over them. Could feel them sticking on the tarmac too for a brief road section.
I do more off road night time trail running than any other running. Grab the head torch and set off up into the hills :D

Soldato
Sad face.

My left knee seems to keep giving way. I showered after a run last week and when walking back to the sofa i kept getting weird spasms in my leg. Then it's felt quite weak at random times and then this morning it gave out twice in my 3rd mile.

I've been trying to do some squats/lunges throughout the day (only bodyweight) to try and strength my legs/glutes but not sure if i've done something to it from that, or if it's got twisted since i've been doing more on uneven ground.

I'm having laser eye surgery tomorrow which means i have to rest a few days so hoping that solves it and it doesn't turn into a regular issue.

Associate
It is improving... Slowly.

I have gone with not trying to run until Jan. Spoken to doctor and they seem to think that is a reasonable plan. If things are still not right then they will have to look again. I think they want to avoid any sort of surgical type thing as they reckon that there is too much that can go wrong long term.

I also appear to have moved up an age category now. No longer in the 40-49 section!

SPG

SPG

Soldato
This half marathon training is dull as hell on a treadmill. Upto 17k now and the plan calls 17.5 this weekend. Tempted to say sod this and sign up for something sooner rather than later ideally this side of xmas. I cant see another 4k being a issue tbh.

Alas i am not a quick runner and my weight refuses to drop below 78kg for some reason, but i was 105kg 15 months ago.

Associate
So I managed to get myself to the shops to buy some trainers for my shin splints and flat feet. I dropped a bollock and bought some Skechers, which from one run, proved that they were not right. So I am stuck with them.

I did however get myself down to the Nike factory outlet in Birmingham and got some proper running trainers. Bit steep at £72.00 but from one treadmill test (didn't want to dirty them else I couldn't send them back) and the difference is night and day.

The trainers I picked up are Nike Zoom Structure 22. Whilst I don't get much pain, I have noticed that it's quite loose round the heel, even if I have the heel lock method of fastening the laces.

Should I return them and look for something else? I don't want to get my pants pulled down again as I already have a pair of those skechers which I can't return!

Soldato
This half marathon training is dull as hell on a treadmill. Upto 17k now and the plan calls 17.5 this weekend. Tempted to say sod this and sign up for something sooner rather than later ideally this side of xmas. I cant see another 4k being a issue tbh.

Alas i am not a quick runner and my weight refuses to drop below 78kg for some reason, but i was 105kg 15 months ago.

Why treadmill? I couldn’t think of anything worse! Just get out and about and do the same distance.

Associate
I refuse to start a run in the rain and pretty much its been rain when i needed to get out.

I'm with you there up to a point. I tend to look at it and if the rain is fairly light, then I will just go and do it. I reckon that I will be wet enough within 10 mins that the rain will probably help by keeping me cool.

If it is pouring down, then I will tend to use the treadmill because the warm up in proper rain is miserable.

If it starts when I am out then I normally just carry on.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Exactly that Ian, even light rain i will hit the treadmill especially in winter as i just get cold and can never warm up, summer rain is fine :)

Back
Top Bottom