How many Focus ST owners on here

Soldato
From what I understand, the Mk3 is almost as thirsty as the five pot but without sounding as nice.

As an aside, another puncture on the front passenger side today! On a wheel that's done about 3,000 miles, that seems about right.

Soldato
There isn't a lot in it. If being careful I could beat the official MPG with the 5 cylinder. That was with the Mountune 260hp tune as well.

I did regret selling it. The ecoboost engines just weren't as good. The Mk2 had more feel in the steering as well due to being hydraulic.

Last edited:
Associate
I’m currently looking at sts what’s your thoughts on this guys.

2008 54k mileage fsh not all main dealer only 2 or 3 stamps are. The cambelt was done December, new rear brake discs and pads and oil filter service, 4 new tyres on 2 months ago. It has had a remap no idea what though the previous owner didn’t tell him. And has a scorpion exhaust system from previous owner rs plugs. No other mods. Wheels refurbed also. Standard panel filter. Asking price £7.2k. Visually looks great white black wheels zunsport grille I just don’t know if it’s worth committing to the 3hr drive to view. Plate lk08ust

Is block mod required on the facelift ones he’s saying it’s not needed I don’t know about that as I drove one which did it have it but what do I know....

Associate
Is block mod required on the facelift ones he’s saying it’s not needed I don’t know about that as I drove one which did it have it but what do I know....

Volvo plasma coated the cylinder lines on the T5 from 2008 on IIRC so your chances of a split liner are reduced if under the 300bhp mark.

It's still not worth the risk running higher power without it though IMO. Some don't bother at all and are fine, many insist on it, some just get unlucky..... depends what you plan on doing to the car in the future.

Soldato
Wee bump.. Was going to look at an Alfa :). Couldn't resist the colour..

Ti-UQV5-PLSwy-Bb-Rs-LLqhu-Lw.jpg

Soldato
Soooo, I'm in the market for a Focus ST, budget is ~£200 a month for the car.

I'll be doing less than 6k a year. I get the train to work so there will be minimal commuting, unless the weather is particularly terrible or during one of the crazy heatwaves where a nice air conditioned car is preferably to the sweat-box train.

I'm really unsure whether to go for the MK2 5-pot or the MK3 for being newer, lower mileage, more features maybe? Modification wise, I'd perhaps consider air intake, re-map, wouldn't want to do anything crazy.

Any tips or suggestions as to which model to go for?

Soldato

Excellent choice. If the standard colour was white, I still would have gone for the grey.

Looking at either trading in come September or keeping mine. Like the idea of the new one but have not quite done 13000 miles in just over 2 years...

Soldato
When they adding it? :p

How much do you want to spend overall on the car and what do you want from it? The mk3 is much more modern inside, particularly if you pick up a facelifted car. The mk2 facelift also still looks great if well kept and they're a bit more involving / have the natural soundtrack. Having said that the price difference between a nice mk2 facelift and good mk3 (early) would have me in the newer car every time

Soldato
How much do you want to spend overall on the car and what do you want from it? The mk3 is much more modern inside, particularly if you pick up a facelifted car. The mk2 facelift also still looks great if well kept and they're a bit more involving / have the natural soundtrack. Having said that the price difference between a nice mk2 facelift and good mk3 (early) would have me in the newer car every time

The less spent on the car the better, having said that my budget is anywhere from £7k to £12k, it'll be financed one way or another and my monthly budget is no more than £200

Primarily it's for the odd occasion having 2 cars would be handy, we both work full time, my Mrs has a company car but all of the ferrying the kids to school/nursery is on her shoulders and sometimes it's just too much for her.

Secondarily, I want something that'll put a smile on my face when I am driving it. We have 3 kids between us so need the size of her car but 2 are from a previous partner so go to their Dad's every other weekend, we'll use my car on these occasions.

Associate

5 pot > 4 pot all day long.

If you're doing low mileage and are fine with crap MPG then there is little reason to go 4 pot unless you want the more modern interior. Having said that, I can see near 40mpg on a long run in my T5, get 23 around town though!

An ST/Volvo T5 with a decent exhaust system on it will yield many giggles!

Back
Top Bottom