• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3900x - Minimum frame rates lower than 5 year old Intel CPU?

Caporegime
I've had my 3900x since August, and I've not had many issues with it really, but after reading a few game CPU benchmarks recently it does appear that my minimum frame rates are lower than they should be.

I ran a few benchmarks when I first got it, mainly to check the CPU cooling was OK. I play at 4K, so i'm always going to be GPU limited, therefore it wasn't worth benchmarking a ton of stuff. At the time I noticed that in some games my minimum frame rate was a lot lower than an Intel 5930k that I used for many years, but I guess I didn't think too much about it as it wasn't apparent when playing games.

But Red Dead Redemption II just came out, and in benchmarking that I'm noticing the same trend again.

An example below

Hitman 2 Miami Benchmark - Min 18.38 fps
Hitman2_5930k_2160p60hz.jpg

Hitman 2 Miami Benchmark - Min 3.52 fps
Hitman2_3900x_2160p60hz.jpg

In the Red Dead Redemption II in-game benchmark I've done two runs, both with fresh install of Windows 10 and latest F10a BIOS with AMD AGESA 1.0.0.4 B and my minumum frame rates for 4k/ultra settings were 7fps and 6fps, respectively.

The average was about 43fps both times, which is more in-line with what others are getting with the same 2080Ti GPU

According to Gamers Nexus though, their 1% low and 0.1% lows didn't drop below 28.5 fps at similar settings:

I don't notice big spikes or drops in games, so perhaps I shouldn't even worry about it but it does seem like something isn't quite right.

What should I be looking at?

Spec in sig

Caporegime
OP
Are all your drivers and your BIOS up to date, are you using the Ryzen power plan in Windows?

I checked and it was set to 'Ryzen Balanced'. I've changed it to 'Ryzen High Performance' to see if that makes a difference.

What build of Windows are you using?

Version 1903
Build 18362.418

I think that GIRT TV you use has just had a firmware update making it a G-Sync/VRR TV and Nvidia added the C9's to the latest driver. You tried that?

Yes, that will be excellent when it comes along, but the firmware update has only been released in America so far. It also won't affect min frame rates, which is the issue here.

Associate
RDR shares GTA engine which has a weird behavior with some sort of a frame cap. I think Gamer Nexus review covers it.
CPUs that are fast enough to hit a hidden frame cap will get very bad min fps stats.

So don't worry

Caporegime
OP
Any chance of a Belarc report? Might help offer some more suggestions.

I just bought a 3900X myself and will pair it with my existing Radeon VII. Will perform a clean OS install for it tomorrow at some point so ill let you know if i encounter any similar issues.

I ran Belarc, seems like a lot of information on there.

What specifically do you need to see from the report?

Caporegime
I ran Belarc, seems like a lot of information on there.

What specifically do you need to see from the report?
Just tells us everything about your system thats installed software and driver/BIOS wise, i use it to look for additional suggestions.

I understand if you don't want to share it, or at least post it on here.

Caporegime
Just had my worst minimum fps yet with the Ryzen High Performance mode activated!

(Took a closeup photo for speed purposes)
20191107_121143.jpg

I wonder if some third party software could be causing this.

Did you try testing performance after a clean install/windows updated and the bare minimum (ie GPU driver) software installed?

Caporegime
OP
Honestly, this is pretty much bare-bones Window install.

Windows 10 + updates,
GPU driver
AMD chipset driver
Red Dead Redemption II

I disable onedrive, I've not got around to installing Steam/Epic Launcher etc.

Checked my memory with CPU-Z and it's definitely operating dual channel, 3600mhz (CPUz reports 1799mhz)

Soldato
Seems to be lots of stuff on the net with the PC version suffering stuttering and low frame rates, so it may not be down to your machine. Never do games (these days) work properly on release. I'd wait for a patch or 3.

Associate
Are you running the game from a HDD or SSD.? Sometimes HDD can cause stuttering at the beginning of benchmark as it's still loading which then shows as very low minimums

Caporegime
OP
Are you running the game from a HDD or SSD.? Sometimes HDD can cause stuttering at the beginning of benchmark as it's still loading which then shows as very low minimums

It's not my fastest drive, but it's on a Samsung 850 SSD

It's the only thing installed on that drive.

Back
Top Bottom