Samsung vs Oneplus.... ignoring the cost...

Associate
I'm looking for a new phone, Ive narrowed it down to a samsung S10 variant (probably a 10+ or maybe a 5G), or a oneplus variant (7T pro... if they are available yet?)

When comparing these phones, there is always a price comparison involved. for obvious reasons... its quite significant. I get my phone provided through work, so i'm in the position where cost isnt a factor.

That being the case, is the Samsung S10 a no brainer? or is the oneplus still worth looking at?

i just want a decent phone experience. Good camera would be nice, i like the headphone socket on the samsung, and the SD card slot (on the S10+) though 256GB storage would be more than enough that i wouldnt need it really, and i could work around the headphone situation if need be.

ive read and read and read... but i still cant make up my mind. which is typical of me.

Thanks

Associate
I'm sure you'll be very happy whichever you do end up with, which is important to remember. They're both amazing phones.

The 7T Pro has faster charging, but not wireless charging or reverse wireless like the S10. Battery life is similar between the two phones.

S10 has a better all round camera, although the 7T Pro has 3x telephoto rather than 2x, and a dedicated Macro mode. 7T Pro also has a bigger 90Hz screen without any notch, although the S10's screen is marginally brighter and more accurate colours.

There's some other minor benefits to the S10 - headphone jack, expandable storage, IP68 rating and more secure fingerprint scanner.

Software is arguably better on the 7T Pro, having better performance and faster updates, although the skin itself and its usability is pretty subjective.

All in all, pretty difficult choice. I went S10 personally, but it's super close imo.

Soldato
As above, it's super close. Maybe pop into a store and see if you can get a feel on both of them although it may be harder trying to find the OP phone in store on display. You can try the 7 Pro as the only difference between the two really is the 7T Pro having a macro mode and SD855+ vs the SD855 (which really is just slightly higher clockspeeds).

In terms of camera experience between the two, I was on holiday with the 7T Pro and a friend with the S10. In daylight the S10 was better but I found night shots to be more accurate on my OP. It was very mixed results between the two especially depending on which lens you're using. Either way I'm pretty happy with my OP's camera and is a significant step up from my previous phone.

Soldato
Out of the two you mentioned I'd get a OP 7T Pro - both good phones but the 90hz screen and reportedly smoother operation are the tie-break winners for me. If work are paying, see if you can get a McLaren edition if they haven't sold out already.

I doubt you'll go wrong with either phone.

Associate
That one that can be fooled by a £3 screen protector? :p

Touche.

I'm pretty sure that's now fixed. At least I really hope it is.

That reminds me though, the ultrasonic scanner is more reliable when your hands are wet or dirty which can be nice. It still recognises your finger if you're at the gym and have sweaty hands or you're out and it's raining.

Soldato
As someone who currently has a 7t Pro and an S10e I wouldn't get hung up on the 90hz display if it's on your mind. Yes it's noticeable but when I got back to the S10e it's quickly forgotten about.
I can't comment on the S10 or the Plus for usability (except for playing with them in store) but I think the 7t Pro would be easier used in the hand. The curves are nicer on the OnePlus IMO.
Software wise, for me, it's much of a muchness. Oxygen OS is great to use, it's slick and very close to stock. However Samsung really upped their game with OneUI and using my S10e is great. You also get many more features (as always with Samsung), some are useful and some aren't but at least you have the choice.

Soldato
Touche.

I'm pretty sure that's now fixed. At least I really hope it is.

That reminds me though, the ultrasonic scanner is more reliable when your hands are wet or dirty which can be nice. It still recognises your finger if you're at the gym and have sweaty hands or you're out and it's raining.
I find any fps is finicky with wet or greasy hands and that's where face unlock comes in and it's lightning fast on the OnePlus. Definitely noticeable over my S10e.

Also, all the talk about Optical fps not being as secure, has this been tested and proved? Maybe I've missed it but I have yet to hear of anyone getting duped by the fps on the OnePlus.

Associate
OP
Thats annoying.. EE business has the 7 pro 5G. Which doesnt seem like its much difference, but runs android 9, rather than 10. not sure if that it a big deal? of if there is a update out for the 7? The Macro mode would have been nice though.

Associate
Same choice I may have to make myself if my latest RMA is DOA!

It’s a really hard choice. For pure speed, and a near stock software experience, I would choose the OnePlus. The slightly better camera and wireless charging on the Samsung are nice to have as well, so if features are your priority then the Samsung is the way to go.

It’s one of those where I could probably flip a coin and be happy with the outcome either way.

Soldato
Same choice I may have to make myself if my latest RMA is DOA!

It’s a really hard choice. For pure speed, and a near stock software experience, I would choose the OnePlus. The slightly better camera and wireless charging on the Samsung are nice to have as well, so if features are your priority then the Samsung is the way to go.

It’s one of those where I could probably flip a coin and be happy with the outcome either way.
The wireless charging is a funny one. I was sure I'd miss it (and maybe I do) from my S10e but the battery life on the 7t Pro is so darn good it's just not an issue.
Wireless charging is great don't get me wrong but it's when you go back to wired you realise it's merely a luxury that in essence we just don't need. But to each their own.
I never liked the idea of keeping my phone on charge all night, either wired or wireless.
What I do now is charge my phone at my bedside. I usually spend 30-40mins either reading a book or watching YouTube videos before lights out and in this time my 7t Pro charges to 100%. Most nights it's around 40%. So I have actually been able to clear away all my wireless chargers (2 at home on 1 on my office desk) and indeed cleared away all my charges with just the one in my room.

Associate
OP
Ive never used wireless charging up until now, it seems so unnecessary, though i can see a use in certain circumstances, but i do use the headphones, so that would steer me in the direction of the Samsung, particularly since the 7t Pro is exclusive to 3. I really dont need 5g, but the camera is slightly better on the S10 5g over the S10+ i think.

Compared to the S7 i have now, i'm sure any of them would be a nice upgrade, as said above.

Associate
The wireless charging is a funny one. I was sure I'd miss it (and maybe I do) from my S10e but the battery life on the 7t Pro is so darn good it's just not an issue.
Wireless charging is great don't get me wrong but it's when you go back to wired you realise it's merely a luxury that in essence we just don't need. But to each their own.
I never liked the idea of keeping my phone on charge all night, either wired or wireless.
What I do now is charge my phone at my bedside. I usually spend 30-40mins either reading a book or watching YouTube videos before lights out and in this time my 7t Pro charges to 100%. Most nights it's around 40%. So I have actually been able to clear away all my wireless chargers (2 at home on 1 on my office desk) and indeed cleared away all my charges with just the one in my room.

I went from a galaxy s7 edge to a pixel 2 and I have missed wireless charging ever since, but you’re right, it is a luxury / gimmick and with super fast charging I can see where you’re coming from actually, interesting point. Problem I had with the 2xl was it’s refusal to charge at more than about 1% every 5 minutes in colder temperatures, this was a problem seeing as my room is usually quite cool for sleeping, so I always had to leave it on overnight.

Back
Top Bottom