Bought undeclared Cat N car is there anything I can do?

Man of Honour
Any Cat x cars have to be advertised as such. If the seller doesn't play ball it is a small claim for at least the difference in value. It is OK to drive a Cat N as long as it has a current MoT. Do you have the sellers advert details?
Andi.
By dealers they do, not by private individuals.

Soldato
Take some responsibility for your actions and move on with your life. Even if you do find out about the previous seller, your contract is not with them and you’ll have no joy unless you convince the person who sold you the car to take them to the small claims court. Which they won’t.

Soldato
Some people these days!

Blaming other's for their own stupidity then trying to gather some support on the 'internet'. Maybe setup a crowd funding page so you can sue the bloke an whoever sold it to him.

Don't forget to go to the tabloids and get your picture taken with a 'sad face'.

Or just chalk it up to experience and move on. If the car was repaired well and there's nothing wrong with it, then just drive the thing and enjoy it, rather than causing yourself undue stress and hassle!

Soldato
It's the 80bhp version. For some reason I thought it was 122bhp when I went to see it.

The price you paid isn't bad, CAT N or not. Move on, drive the car and when you sell it don't disclose it unless asked.

Cat N on a car like that could be something very minor anyway. There is no damage to the frame or chassis, it'll be cosmetic and not worth the cost of repair. It'll make no difference to your life or safety of the car.

Again, what's the reg?

Associate
By asking him?

Sure, you can ask them but they didn't sell you the car, so they won't tell you anything, it's not their problem. If the guy you just bought it from was bothered (which he isn't) he would have had a right to complain but it's been far too long since and secondly, he's just pushed it onto you, so cares even less now...

A CAT N can be as small as a scratch along a wing and a respray/replacement wing - I really wouldn't worry.

Also, no offence intended, it's a cheap Golf.....If you'd spent £20k on something I'd understand the frustration but for the money spent just enjoy it for what it is.

Caporegime
As has been said, chalk it up to experience and get on with your life. It’s a decent price for a decent car. Drive it, look after it and in five or six years time the value difference between your car and a ‘clean’ car will be £50.

Man of Honour
Any Cat x cars have to be advertised as such. If the seller doesn't play ball it is a small claim for at least the difference in value. It is OK to drive a Cat N as long as it has a current MoT. Do you have the sellers advert details?
Andi.

I was under the impression as per poster above it isn't the case for private sales.

Quick Google does suggest it should be declared so he might have some comeback.

Caporegime
Cat N is Non-Structural damage.
At that price a couple of panels and a bumper, especially if it’s a rear bumper, lights, boot lid, rear panel damage etc. Would easily write off a car. Then someone buys it from salvage, replaces parts from a scrapper for 1/4 the price of a body shop and sells it on.

Associate
OP
Can you tell where it has been repaired? I.e. what kind of accident it was in?

Cat N is typically just superficial damage isn't it?
Is there anyway I can find out what was damaged? If he bought it from salvage place it would be in their database right? I can't tell from looking at it. I mean there is damage... like the boot don't close which I found was a wobbly strike plate... but don't think this would cat n it unless someone tried to break in.

Soldato
You could ask your own insurer if they can look it up. If it's on record there must be info on a database they can access.

OcUK Staff
Is there anyway I can find out what was damaged? If he bought it from salvage place it would be in their database right? I can't tell from looking at it. I mean there is damage... like the boot don't close which I found was a wobbly strike plate... but don't think this would cat n it unless someone tried to break in.

Did you like literally buy this car without really seeing it in person or test driving it. I know its a cheap car but every car I've purchased from a £700 banger to a 150k super car I thoroughly checked over, HPI, checked all doors open, boot, checked everything works, drove it to make sure it drove as it should and performed.

This almost feels like you see advert, buy it over phone, handed cash over and then drove it home. should have just walked away at first sign of damage, be plenty more for sale.

Soldato
Sounds like it was bought blind..

There is enough guidance on the web now around buying cars that there is 0 excuse to not atleast check the boot works right.. :rolleyes:

Associate
OP
Did you like literally buy this car without really seeing it in person or test driving it. I know its a cheap car but every car I've purchased from a £700 banger to a 150k super car I thoroughly checked over, HPI, checked all doors open, boot, checked everything works, drove it to make sure it drove as it should and performed.

This almost feels like you see advert, buy it over phone, handed cash over and then drove it home. should have just walked away at first sign of damage, be plenty more for sale.
Desperation cos my original car is pretty much scrap. I work 7 days a week and I did test drive it and knocked the price down a few hundred.

Back
Top Bottom