Advice on CEX

Transmission breaker
Don
Why is everyone so afraid of carrying about cash? I don't do it often but have carried upwards of 5k in cash on me, on public transport, walking through towns, and even left it in my car?

Unless you are flashing it about, or shouting out about carrying it, just been discrete, and you will be at no more or less risk of being mugged than any other time :D

Soldato
^ I agree. I wouldn't want to do it often but have done it more than once. Just don't look or sound like someone carrying lots of cash and you should be ok. In a previous life I used to bank a pub's takings every week. That was a bit dodgier but still ok if sensible about it (don't tell anyone, vary the route, time, bag etc).

Caporegime
Not sure I'd want to be seen being handed that much cash in a public place and having to carry it with me. Asking for someone to jump you IMO.

CEX are not a fly-by-night company, I really wouldn't worry.

I'm not trying to be one of those folk but i regularly have walked through Glasgow city centre and Paisley with over £1K in cash on multiple occasions no issue. I've also walked around with over £10K in cash too.

Why is it any different to wearing a £3K watch (i also own one)?

I mean so long as i'm not publicly advertising it or flaunting it nobody knows I have it. If you are worried 2 randomers from CEX might jump you then obviously ask for a bank transfer but the chances are slim IMO.

Caporegime
I'm not trying to be one of those folk but i regularly have walked through Glasgow city centre and Paisley with over £1K in cash on multiple occasions no issue. I've also walked around with over £10K in cash too.

I mean so long as i'm not publicly advertising it or flaunting it nobody knows I have it. If you are worried 2 randomers from CEX might jump you then obviously ask for a bank transfer but the chances are slim IMO.
Oh I've walked miles with £3k in my pocket, but CEX isn't full of particularly trustworthy people and clientele!

Soldato

You get some extremely dodgy people selling 'second hand goods' in CEX, depending on where the store is located I wouldn't be surprised if they followed someone they saw receiving an overly large wad of cash.

Someone mentioned earlier that they look into people fully and only do bank transfers, that isn't entirely true.

1. Goods above a certain value will be bank transfers, but this is in the hundreds as I've sold goods there and received cash around the £100 mark.
2. The 'background checks' they do are worthless, they ask for very basic identification. When you sign up for an account they don't verify that you specifically live at the address you give, and all they do to check your "ID" is quickly glance at your bank card. They do not cross reference the data or keep the details of your card on file, they never do more than a quick visual check of mine.

The above may differ from shop to shop, but it would be easy as pie to get rid of stolen goods in any of the ones I've encountered.

Associate
The only real experience I have of CEX was buying several PS4`s from Tesco when they were released they had a deal where you got the PS4 and 3 games in a deal. CEX were paying silly money for the PS4 and games. If I remember right every time I sold one it was around £32 in my pocket. I think I sold them 5 or 6 in the end. I think they got wise when one of them saw me from the time before and all three games I was selling were still in the shrink wrap! I have sold them various items over the years where I have gotten stuff 2nd hand played it and then sold it on for a small profit.

Caporegime
This thread is laughable!

CEX staff are going to be flagging up customers who've just gained £££ and then mug them off? really? :p

They are what they are, a second hand trading post with high overheads to cover, they'll never match/better eBay, Gumtree or indeed the MM, they'd have a pretty crap business model were they to do so, unwitting mugs are their bread & butter (trade in / retail prices tell you this) but so long as you are not expecting the bargain of the century and you spot something you think you want, what's the issue?

You use CEX for three things, cheap older DVD's & Blu-Rays, that random piece of PC hardware you didn't realize you wanted - and actually don't - and off loading tech related tat that would otherwise be sat in the cupboard depreciating.

I actually like the fact the staff look like they've rarely washed and want to come across as dork's - saves the punter from assuming they are thus by having no illusions provided by false corporate uniforms etc.

Soldato
I bought my Korg Monologue from CEX.

I was looking at monosynths online and found they had one listed at a price that was impossible to resist. I paid £140 delivered for a grade B (the synth is immaculate. It must have been downgraded because of the condition of the box or something). That was cheaper than used ones were going for on Ebay, and you get a warranty with CEX.

Last edited:

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I regularly carry a few thousand in cash every couple weeks without issue, however I think walking around draped in approx 5/6k worth of gold should be more of a concern, oh wow actually including diamonds it's considerably more than that hahaha! Never had an issue, whether uk or abroad and I'm frequently in places like Lozelles, Brixton and Moss side. Don't be scared to do certain things due to publicised crimes, just be cautious :)

Back
Top Bottom