How is the Intelligent Voter Supposed to Choose a Political Party?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Honestly, this is a question that I have wrestled with my entire adult life.

Each party is terrible: populated by odious and ill-equipped people that are involved in awful scandals on a weekly basis. Each party has been in power in some form or another in recent decades and during that time they have broken promises time and time again. None are trustworthy.

And yet most people seem to be loudly, vitriolically confident in their choice of political party and so scathing of the opposition. I find it amazing that Tory voters don't seem to see the crushing litany of failings and corruption that their party offers up daily. Also, I find it amazing that Labour voters don't seem to see the crushing litany of failings and corruption that their party offers up daily.

So, as someone who sees that they are all equally rubbish, am I wrong? Am I missing something crucial?

Associate
I think this time around it boils down to morals as opposed to political beliefs/you've read each parties' manifestos.

For me this time, 2 things stick out:

1 - could you morally vote for Labour knowing you'd appoint a disrespectful terrorist as PM?

2 - could you vote for Lib Dems knowing they want to stop Brexit knowing this would destroy every semblance of democracy we're proud of.

Man of Honour
2 - could you vote for Lib Dems knowing they want to stop Brexit knowing this would destroy every semblance of democracy we're proud of.

I might be wrong but AFAIK they still need a majority in parliament to vote to revoke A50 they can't unilaterally do it. So nothing undemocratic about that.

1 - could you morally vote for Labour knowing you'd appoint a disrespectful terrorist as PM?

Much more pertinent Corbyn lacks pragmatism and statecraft experience at time they are needed more than ever meanwhile Boris is little more than a bag of hot air.

Associate
Voting for a political party in the UK is like being asked which part of your body you'd like a rusty nail hammered into then having the wound filled with vinegar.

Soldato
You can't pick anything cleanly.

Brexit should never have been allowed to be in this GE but it shows what Boris priorities are that he'd rather gamble on the distractions of a GE rather than simply being less of an *******.

Soldato
I think I've only voted once in my 45 years and the reason has always been that they are all as bad as each other and very little ever changes from one iteration of the government to another.

Same with Brexit, I didn't vote, not because I was ambivalent towards it, I simply couldn't get a clear picture of the pro's and con's either way!

Soldato
Absolutely spot on OP, it's always been down to voting for who you think will do the least damage so far as I am concerned.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
If they all are liars then you can't trust their manifesto and would not have confidence in any to vote. So it would make more sense to assume everyone wishes the best and believes the promises they platforme on, but when the time comes they are simply unable to implement due to unforeseen blocks or additional information.

Don't assume everyone will crumble, vote for who you think will do their best on the points which matter to you.

That's why I'm gonna vote for... erm... cor... erm... green... erm...... hmmm

Associate
I think this time around it boils down to morals as opposed to political beliefs/you've read each parties' manifestos.

For me this time, 2 things stick out:

The problem lies with the electorates voting based on soundbites like the two above. It is not Britain's got talent, you don't vote for someone who has appeared in front of you for three minutes - read the manifestos, understand the implications and don't get suckered into listening to the negative spiels.

Voting has always been a balancing act and you should vote for the party where more of the policies align with how you would like taxes collected and spent and not just the figurehead.

If you want low taxes and a smaller and less caring society then vote Tory, higher tax contributions but bigger welfare state vote Labour, vote libs if you are more right leaning but don't want to vote Tory. Don't vote for someone just because they made you laugh or cry.

Soldato
Its a tough job though, the media always on your heels, I think the British press is regarded as the most brutal.

You can't know the stresses involved until your in gov.

This is a tomato tomato response.

Soldato
The issue for me is that this general election isn't being fought over policies or how well that party will look after the UK, it's all going to come down to Brexit.

I've people on facebook pushing Tories like mad, despite the fact they've hated them in previous years purely because "Boris is going to get it done!" They aren't thinking about what is going to happen after Brexit, IF it happens.

But the thought of Boris in charge... "skin crawls*

I think I've only voted once in my 45 years and the reason has always been that they are all as bad as each other and very little ever changes from one iteration of the government to another.

Same with Brexit, I didn't vote, not because I was ambivalent towards it, I simply couldn't get a clear picture of the pro's and con's either way!

Always makes me laugh when people say you should always vote, that if you don't vote you can't complain how bad things are. They don't seem to understand that voting is about choice, and not voting is a choice as well.

Soldato

I've only voted a few time on anything, I voted for new labour in 1997, they made a lot of changes, fun times watching Blair take on the established.

Associate
I am aware that all politicians lie, i am aware that lots of promises are broken.
But i just choose my party based on whether i can stomach there manifesto, even if parts of it i dont agree with.

Actually no... i vote Tory because i could give a toss about anyone else. :p:p:p:p:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom