Total War: Warhammer 2

Soldato
VH/VH

I think I've cracked the Orcs tonight. Sent a hero down to the southern Badlands and it was really poorly defended. So I hit them hard from the sea. Things aren't going well up North as I've abandoned the fight there. But the Orcs have lost a lot of ground very quickly in the South. I'm hoping I can hit their economy and troop production hard before they inevitably crush my armies with doom stacks.

Also, DLC is currently up to 50% off at Humble Store. Extra 20% discount for Monthly members. Hunter & The Beast is £2.79!

Last edited:
Soldato
I just lost a legendary Sharksnik about 170 turns campaign. It was pure hell trying to haggle the powerful dwarfs who ended up with 60 settlements while I was defending constant mutinous gits and Wood elves invasions. The dark elves grew really powerful as well and had already landed in a corner of the old world and were at war with the dwarfs who had subdued everything and everyone around them. I thought I would get an epic ending fighting the dwarfs along with the dark elves and march into Karak Eight Peaks but the wood elves got me before that. Their units were so much more superior than mine I had to use 2-3 armies to fight one stack of them.

I tried 3-4 times to wipe them out even together with skaven but anytime we would enter the woods it would end badly and after that they would accept no peace treaty. Had tons of fun though and the highlights were wiping out clan angrund and the empire. I could write a book with all the happenings of that campaign.

Soldato
I’ve caved and I’ll try it for a couple of hours. Is any of the dlc a must buy?

I have them all, but for must haves, I would say.
"Rise of the Tomb Kings" - Tomb Kings are a great faction to play.
"The Prophet & The Warlock" - I love playing as Skaven, Ikit and he's weapon teams are worth the money.

For Warhammer 1 DLC, I would also grab Chaos and Norsca DLC.
Not too big a fan or Chaos, but Norsca are fun to play.

Associate
I've been pondering this too given it's dirt cheap in the Steam Winter Sale.

The only thing putting me off is that I bought TW:W1 and rarely played it due to lack of time (child and Football Manager the issue here). How does the second game stack up against the first? Lizardmen and Skaven appeal to me more too.

Soldato
If you didn't play the first game due to time, you probably won't play the second. It improves a bunch of game mechanics, adds a bunch of new races, but load times and turn times are longer.

I'm not keen on the WHII campaign. The races are too segregated (Naggaroth = Dark Elves, Lustria = Lizardmen, Southlands = Tomb Kings in the North, Lizardmen in the South, Ulthuan = High Elves) with only the Skaven and to an extent Vampire Coast really mixing things up.

Mortal Empires is good. But it's huge. And end turns are pretty long even with mods optimising the process.

I do miss "Short Campaign" maps. Massive potential for this in Warhammer too.

@CaptainRAVE None of the DLC is essential really as it's all in game for the AI to use already; all you're really buying is an unlock so you can play a new Race or Lord when you're bored of the standard ones. But generally Chaos, Wood Elves, Beast men and The Hunter & The Beast are considered the worst. From there, it's just a case of picking the ones you like the look of.

I just bought it one piece at a time when on sale (at 50% off). Got almost all of it now after a year; just waiting on the more recent DLC dropping to a more reasonable price.

Soldato
Start on normal/ normal and you can crank it up or lower at any time during the campaign. Personally I play on very hard campaign difficulty and normal battles as I'm pretty crap at battles. :) I think the game will prompt you to adjust it if it feels you're doing well or struggling with the difficulty.

Just watched this. Recent review about the Mortal Empire. I haven't played since the latest update so it was good to hear that turn times are vastly improved
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZvB3kkPhSo&list=WL&index=18&t=0s

Associate
what difficulty is reccomended for a newbie?

im REALLY new to these types of games/

I'd agree normal/normal to start. There's a youtuber called Zerkovich really helped me up my game with some of his strategies. Break away from the old n00b boxes and easily flanked lines that was plaguing me when I first started. Just beat my first legendary run with Markus Wulfhart about a month ago so it did work.

Soldato
I'd agree normal/normal to start. There's a youtuber called Zerkovich really helped me up my game with some of his strategies. Break away from the old n00b boxes and easily flanked lines that was plaguing me when I first started. Just beat my first legendary run with Markus Wulfhart about a month ago so it did work.

Not sure if you watched Legendoftotalwar streams/ videos but he's got several first 20 turns guides for different factions that are quite useful. His endgame tactics could be considered cheating but it's all within game mechanics. He recently released top 5 doomstacks video and first place was surprising.

Back
Top Bottom