Spec me a CCTV System

Caporegime
I will be installing it myself. I just mean for the standalone system
Something like this seems to do push notifications based on Motion Detection, or is this cheap Chionese junk?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SANNCE-Wireless-Surveillance-Auto-Pair-Intelligent/dp/B0716YV6PD/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=cctv+cameras&qid=1573051790&refinements=p_72:419153031,p_36:118669031&rnid=118657031&s=diy&sr=1-4

House is a small bungalow so no problem getting into the roof to cable, and not a problem for wifi signal either.

that is junk.

you want POE - network cameras. which are around £50-£100 a pop in the uk depending on the spec you go for.

then you will need an NVR with POE. Again another £150-£250 on top of the cameras when you add in a hard drive. then the cables.

Caporegime
What makes it junk?

i've never heard of the brand. it's wireless. also not many people have bought them or even watched the youtube reviews. also the quality is the same as £20 yi cameras which are also wireless.

if that is what you are after i actually have 5 yi cameras i want to sell. all you need to do is stick an SD card in each of them. they are indoor models i just pointed them out of windows. i upgraded from them to a proper set up.

Man of Honour
I would recommend against using the detection for anything but notifications and refining when you check the recordings - general consensus they aren't all that reliable and while you get mostly false positives you also tend to miss the time before the event.

Man of Honour
Hi.
First apologies for not doing my own leg work and reading through the thread, but I do't know what type of system I am looking for.
I would like a cctv system for my house for security and to keep an eye on the dog in the back garden every now and again, however I would like it to not just be a recording system.
Instead what I would prefer is to have it either be on all the time and warn me via app notification, or only turn on when it detects movement and then notify me.

Is this common in cctv systems like a ring door bell or are they simply cameras to a ssd?
Is a £250 budget unrealistic for a 4 camera system?

That is exactly what my Blink system does and I'm more than happy.
I have 2 cameras for £140, 4 probably cost around £250.
As soon as motion is detected I get an alert with a video.
It isn't super duper like others have on here but it is certainly doing a job for me and up to yet I can facially recognise people who have come up my drive in the dark.

Soldato
I bought my original Hik cameras from CTS direct and the new B120s from cctv-kits.co.uk

I record to a Synology NAS but Hikvision iVMS is pretty good, or there are free products like BlueIris or Milestone XProtect.

You've given me some motivation.

I've never used a NAS so what model do you have? And how much footage does it store before starts overwriting?

Or can you suggest a newer budget model that would store over a month of constant recorded footage? Thanks.

Associate
I have been pondering a couple of CCTV cameras for a while and since joining the forum here noticed most things are covered by someone. But wow, what a monster thread! So to ask my question in the hope someone can help...

I'll be installing a Yale Sync Smart Home Alarm shortly (it's been sat in my cupboard for a while) which allows me to activate and deactivate the alarm remotely. I'd like a camera or two that I can use to check on the house if the alarm goes off whilst I'm at work. An indoor 1080p pan and tilt camera with online access would tick the box to start with - I can pop it on a window sill to see both inside and outside. That's relatively easy - the harder bit is finding something that might have the ability to save to a NAS or a free/cheap cloud service. Any suggestions?

Soldato
Guys can anyone help me out here please .

I need a simple no nonsense out of the box system that is easy to install , for £220 this seems to fit the bill

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Swann-Chan...9157031&rps=1&sprefix=Secuity,aps,150&sr=8-19

I want to install this from the garage as I have no power in the attack and it’s just easier to run it from there , I’m don’t have an Ethernet cable in the garage but have a very very strong WIFI signal .

‘What would I need to connect it to WIFi ? I’m assuming it will need to go into the Ethernet port on the DVR box so some kind of Ethernet Bridge or WiFi Dongle ?

Thanks

Soldato
That is exactly what my Blink system does and I'm more than happy.
I have 2 cameras for £140, 4 probably cost around £250.
As soon as motion is detected I get an alert with a video.
It isn't super duper like others have on here but it is certainly doing a job for me and up to yet I can facially recognise people who have come up my drive in the dark.

Yup mine works perfectly too I've been very happy with it

Associate

I need a simple no nonsense out of the box system that is easy to install , for £220 this seems to fit the bill

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Swann-Channel-Security-System-Refurbished/dp/B07F6KHHWV/ref=sr_1_19?crid=1BKGDSDFYCP9W&keywords=security+camera+1080&qid=1573284446&refinements=p_76:419158031&rnid=419157031&rps=1&sprefix=Secuity,aps,150&sr=8-19

I want to install this from the garage as I have no power in the attack and it’s just easier to run it from there , I’m don’t have an Ethernet cable in the garage but have a very very strong WIFI signal .

‘What would I need to connect it to WIFi ? I’m assuming it will need to go into the Ethernet port on the DVR box so some kind of Ethernet Bridge or WiFi Dongle ?

Thanks

Couldn't you connect the DVR to your network with a powerline adaptor?

Caporegime

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Swann-Channel-Security-System-Refurbished/dp/B07F6KHHWV/ref=sr_1_19?crid=1BKGDSDFYCP9W&keywords=security+camera+1080&qid=1573284446&refinements=p_76:419158031&rnid=419157031&rps=1&sprefix=Secuity,aps,150&sr=8-19

Thanks

the issue is people are looking at these cheap systems which are okay but the picture quality when needed will be useless.

it's always the case with cctv. police won't find it clear enough to identify anyone.

it's therefore worth spending the money on decent kit.

a proper commercial system costs like £10K+
a decent home system you are talking £500-£1K
spend £200 and it's going to be junk or limited to 1 or 2 cameras.

dahua is cheap and so is hikvision. get a local company to supply and fit either one of those makes.

Soldato
the issue is people are looking at these cheap systems which are okay but the picture quality when needed will be useless.

it's always the case with cctv. police won't find it clear enough to identify anyone.

it's therefore worth spending the money on decent kit.

a proper commercial system costs like £10K+
a decent home system you are talking £500-£1K
spend £200 and it's going to be junk or limited to 1 or 2 cameras.

dahua is cheap and so is hikvision. get a local company to supply and fit either one of those makes.

I’ve seen . They look fine to me for home purposes , my sister has the same Swann system and the police recognised the Toe rag who broke into her can on her drive.

For £250 I’m not expecting miracles but it’s good enough .

Last edited:
Caporegime
I’ve seen . They look fine to me for home purposes , my sister has the same Swann system and the police recognised the Toe rag who broke into her can on her drive.

For £250 I’m. To expecting miracles but it’s good enough .

Then why are you on here asking for advice go buy the £200 system and be done with it

Associate
Dilemma i'm trying to video Owls in a wood so only power i have is a 12v car battery charged up by a solar panel , i need to somehow set a system up with a 4 channel poe nvr ( i'm only using 1 camera ) , would getting 4qty 12v car batteries and powering the nvr be better than a 12v to 48v step up convertor as most convertors look like sh1te to me or doe anyone recommend a good step up ?

so to recap " no mains power / poe nvr in a wood and an owl in a box "

i'm basically sick of naff quality analogue camera and rodents biting through my cables so im using rj45 armoured steel cable.

thanks

Back
Top Bottom