Bristol to become the UK's first city to ban diesel cars from entering parts of the city centre

Soldato
That would be super easy to bypass. Especially as most houses dont have a "smart" meter and people are refusing to let them be installed.
Presumably the car itself will communicate this data to the government, leccy company (and Russian hackers) and enable automatic billing of leccy based on when and where you charged it?

Soldato
This and most people can get away with charging the car from a 3 pin plug too. Average person does less than 30 miles a day, that's only 7.5 hours charging off a 3 pin for a Tesla Model S.

I reckon in a few years/a decade when lots of people are on electric, there will just be a flat £3-4,000 yearly tax on the car. Can't avoid it and can't complain about it.

I highly doubt it, that's WAY more tax than the average person pays now. 9,500 miles at 45mpg is £1.2k in total fuel cost, the tax is what half of that? Road tax is £150 a year., so £750/year in tax. If you are talking about a HGV then yes the tax is significant.

In reality what will actually happen is pay by mile using telematics, roll roads, general taxation or a combination of all 3.

Soldato
This and most people can get away with charging the car from a 3 pin plug too. Average person does less than 30 miles a day, that's only 7.5 hours charging off a 3 pin for a Tesla Model S.

I highly doubt it, that's WAY more tax than the average person pays now. 9,500 miles at 45mpg is £1.2k in total fuel cost, the tax is what half of that? Road tax is £150 a year., so £750/year in tax. If you are talking about a HGV then yes the tax is significant.

In reality what will actually happen is pay by mile using telematics, roll roads, general taxation or a combination of all 3.

Road tax could be £1000s if they do that to recover the costs from people not buying petrol anymore. That could happen.

Soldato
Did you not read my post? The average person pays less than £750 in tax as it stands. Sure if you run a HGV or do mega miles then yes it could be thousands but not for the vast majority of people.

Probably the simplest way i can think of is to have a no/low tax amount of units per year per address. Then everything above that is higher tax
Could be based on bedrooms, council tax band, electoral role or something similar.

Maybe a tyre tax. An extra £100 per tyre, I mean they are hard to avoid using right, so the more miles you do the more tyres you would need.
Be a bit worried it would encourage people to nick more wheels though ;)

Soldato
Did you not read my post? The average person pays less than £750 in tax as it stands. Sure if you run a HGV or do mega miles then yes it could be thousands but not for the vast majority of people.
I was basing it on my e92 m3 which gets 19-20 mpg and I do 10k:p. Even so, a £1000 charge per car and they're laughing.

Associate
Maybe a tyre tax. An extra £100 per tyre, I mean they are hard to avoid using right, so the more miles you do the more tyres you would need.
Be a bit worried it would encourage people to nick more wheels though ;)

Quite possibly the worst idea they could think of (so watch this become law !!)
It will encourage folk to drive around more on worn out tyres and increase the sales of budget tyres - i can see it now, more and more cars on the road sliding all over the place on rubber you cannot see the tread anymore on.

It will happen, folk in this country are well thick and will put safety well below a sky subscription in a fight for finances.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
A tyre tax, lol. That would quickly reignite the remould market which died back in the 80s.

Soldato
I maybe completely wrong on this
But it makes me wonder how long it be till they start banning all diesel & petrol cars from more & more places to forced people into electric cars

The biggest problem is there far too many people on this planet these days :(:mad:. But I have no idea what can be done about this

Fixed for you :)

Soldato
Back on topic, it's a good move but really interesting. I work in the diesel van zone and live in the clean air zone. I own a 63 plate diesel and we have a 65 plate diesel van at work.

We'd been looking at getting a new car but had decided to run it into the ground, however this changes that if and when it goes through. Albeit that won't be quick it's not like you want to be trying to sell a car close to the go ahead anyway.

I actually stumbled upon this thread because I was looking at a Model 3 or a petrol SUV. We may have to consider getting a petrol can too since any time at use it we'll have to go through the ban zone.

Associate
Most people make journeys of under 3 miles. You don't need a car for this. Netherlands has the idea nailed, in city centres don't allow cars directly through. Instead make them go out and back in, pedestrianise all the main streets and put cycling infra and good cheap public transport everywhere.

The result is people will choose the most convenient or cheap option which is now cycling, walking or public transport. These are much more space effective and pollute less. Of course still allow people to drive around, but now the remaining people who *must* drive have to contend with less traffic since the majority no longer drive. Its pretty much a win all round.

I've just moved to the Netherlands. All the cities are much more liveable, quieter, nicer air and funnily enough shops are busier. Compared with the typical UK high Street which is full of closed shops, stinky smelly town centres from all the traffic. I know which I prefer.

The future isn't electric cars, it's just no cars.

Caporegime
I reckon in a few years/a decade when lots of people are on electric, there will just be a flat £3-4,000 yearly tax on the car. Can't avoid it and can't complain about it.

Mileage tax. When the car goes in for an MOT they record the mileage and you get a bill based on that.

It’s the simplest way to tax based on usage and it’s using pre existing systems that people are already used to.

To make it more complex you could have an X factor based on motor power or battery size, which would be a proxy for weight.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Most people make journeys of under 3 miles. You don't need a car for this. Netherlands has the idea nailed, in city centres don't allow cars directly through. Instead make them go out and back in, pedestrianise all the main streets and put cycling infra and good cheap public transport everywhere.

The result is people will choose the most convenient or cheap option which is now cycling, walking or public transport. These are much more space effective and pollute less. Of course still allow people to drive around, but now the remaining people who *must* drive have to contend with less traffic since the majority no longer drive. Its pretty much a win all round.

I've just moved to the Netherlands. All the cities are much more liveable, quieter, nicer air and funnily enough shops are busier. Compared with the typical UK high Street which is full of closed shops, stinky smelly town centres from all the traffic. I know which I prefer.

The future isn't electric cars, it's just no cars.

Problem is a lot of urban areas in the UK just aren't built to facilitate this and the cost of doing so and upheaval would be enormous. While not exclusively the case the Netherlands has far more urban areas built around block patterns with wider streets, etc. lots of the UK is higgledy piggledy cramped streets and limited options for bypasses/circulars and so on while often the high/main street through a larger town/city is a significant link road without suitable alternatives for heavier traffic even with a reduction of traffic from pushing more people to other forms of transport. While in the Netherlands they've tended to plan that better in the first place with major roads around as well as through built up areas being more common.

We certainly need to be developing more infrastructure to facilitate alternative transport away from roads though to encourage people to cycle, etc. - too much of the UK as is you are taking your life in your hands if you hop on a bike instead of taking the car.

Soldato
Mileage tax. When the car goes in for an MOT they record the mileage and you get a bill based on that.

It’s the simplest way to tax based on usage and it’s using pre existing systems that people are already used to.

To make it more complex you could have an X factor based on motor power or battery size, which would be a proxy for weight.
not a bad idea, but just thinking how prolific clocking cars would become:p.

Soldato

Ok in some scenarios but I live in a rural area, we have a bus the runs about twice a day to the next nearest village, so simply isn't practical. You can't walk anywhere it's too far (some 3.5miles to the nearest shop for example) plus there are no footpaths anyway, let alone cycle paths.

With no street lights and NSL roads cycling here is very dangerous.

So, I would be heavily penalised if there were such thing. I am completely reliant on a car.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime

/exaggeration/ Given that almost every lease/new car in the land is seemingly fitted with a KMblocker, i dont think that system would work too well :p

Back
Top Bottom