Associate
Hello Overclockers,

I have recently built my first PC, I am posting this in the hope for some feedback and advice to either improve the current system or learn for the next build. I am mostly looking for feedback on how I went about overclocking the cpu as this was my first attempt and I would like to get better at it. I have written a short essay on my experience and the process I went though. Hopefully my experiences will also help those also starting their first build and running into the same issues I had.

Specs as follows;

CPU - AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5Ghz
Motherboard - Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (V.F41 at time of purchase)
Memory - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz
Storage - 500GB SSD + 1TB HDD 7200rpm
GPU - Saphire Radeon RX570 8GB Nitro+
PSU- SeaSonic M12II Evo 520W

*Built at a budget of £600*

Judge my choice of parts as you wish please give feedback.

Overclocking...
Can I push it any further? Have I made any mistakes?

My first time overclocking process is as follows;
(I should point out I am using the stock cooler)
I started by stress testing at stock clock with prime95 for 30minutes - Temps reached 85 max.

Overclocked to 3.7Ghz in Ryzen Master, Tested again with prime95 this time for 1hour - Temps Reached 85.

Moved up to 3.8Ghz tested again for an hour. Still all good. Tests were all done with cpu at 1.325v.*

I felt happy this was safe and moved onto the bios hoping to do a more permanent overclock. This is where the headaches started. I could not make any changes to clock speed/ ratio without the bios crashing or coming up with a boot error message and prompting me to reset to default. It wouldn't let me change it in the slightest, neither up nor down.

I got stuck at this point for two days, eventually I thought I made some headway when I decided to change the "host clock value" from 100Mhz and go up bit by bit until my clock speed was around 3.6GHz. This got me passed the initial boot error messages and bios crashing but then began to get stuck in the bios on boot and didn't seem to see my boot drive anymore.

Anyway I eventually got passed this by updating the bios from F41 to F42g, which admittedly I probably should have done on day one. I have now clocked it to 3.8Ghz successfully with the Ram set to profile 1 at 3200Mhz. With the CPU overclock I first aimed for the same voltage as I had in Ryzen Master* but found this to be boosting to 1.5v on occasion so quickly switched voltage back to auto. In auto the voltage seems to hover around 1.32-1.4v and never goes beyond 1.4v. Ive gone with the assumption that auto voltage is safe and left it like that.(also this motherboard doesn't seem to have a way or editing the overall cpu voltage, just SOC and whatever that other one is... setting the voltage was mostly guess work so gave up messing with it.) All seems to be running fine and passed 3hours of testing with Prime95.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I didn't expect it to be such a long post when I started typing. :D

I look forward to your feedback.

Soldato
I don't know much about the overclocking side of things but hardware I can see you have a Ryzen G CPU paired with the RX570, As a personal opinion id upgrade the CPU to Ryzen 3000 series, maybe Ryzen 3600 if you have the latest BIOS update on the board...

Associate
OP
Agreed. it was a bit of an afterthought, originally I was happy with the onboard graphics for what I was using it for. I'm not sure whether CPU(APU) is bottlenecking the RX570 or not at this point.

Back
Top Bottom