beards

Soldato
Well, i have had a goatee for quite a few years. Now, i fancy growing a full 'wedge' shaped beard!

Never used any beard products either but going to start using beard oil.

One tip i have read is to let it grow! Dont trim etc. But, important to nourish the beard.

Anyone on here done the same?

Any tips?

What about oil, balm etc? Your favourite?

I am 55 now and goatee is grey!

Last edited:
Soldato
i used to use stuff quite often on my beard but recently it's very rare that I bother recently. I just wash my face and beard with Wright's soap and use oil like literally once a month most of the time when it takes my fancy, or sometimes just for the smell.

I don't think it really helps with anything except making it a bit softer and smelling nice.

However the ones I like most are Grave Before Shave (all the ones I've tried are nice) and Apothecary 87 Mango & Vanilla which smells amazing.

My beard's probably 4 inches or so at the moment from the bottom of my chin which is longer than it normally is, and keeping it clean, having the barber keep it in shape, and giving it a proper brushing every day keeps it in check nicely.

Soldato
OP
i used to use stuff quite often on my beard but recently it's very rare that I bother recently. I just wash my face and beard with Wright's soap and use oil like literally once a month most of the time when it takes my fancy, or sometimes just for the smell.

I don't think it really helps with anything except making it a bit softer and smelling nice.

However the ones I like most are Grave Before Shave (all the ones I've tried are nice) and Apothecary 87 Mango & Vanilla which smells amazing.

My beard's probably 4 inches or so at the moment from the bottom of my chin which is longer than it normally is, and keeping it clean, having the barber keep it in shape, and giving it a proper brushing every day keeps it in check nicely.

Nice. How long did it take to grow?

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I am 55 now and goatee is gay!
Ftfy

I beard accidentally/lazily... just don't really shave until it tickles my lips then it's all shorn off and I'm my handsome self again for a week or so.

Beards are ugly though... they're only useful to hide the extra chins or detract from a physical flaw... :D

Last edited:
Associate
Youll go through a stage of lookng like a rat when its at certain length. Unless youre a woman, in which case youll always look like a wire brush :D

Seriously though, veet cream is good at softened the beard up

Soldato
Still can't grow a beard at my age. It's the goatee side sections from end of lips to chin that still haven't grown in.

I remember being about 18 thinking that in a couple of years I'd be able to grown a beard. Not the case.

Tea Drinker
Don

Yea beard oil is just toot. Doesn't really do anything. At most if the skin is getting dry I might oil it up with almond oil.

Associate
Had mine for about 10 years now, can't see myself ever going clean shaven ever again!

I wash mine once, maybe twice a week and oil it a little daily otherwise it ends up feeling quite straggly. I just use the bulldog original beard oil, you can try all the fancy oils you want but they're all the same to be honest.

Soldato
OP
Had mine for about 10 years now, can't see myself ever going clean shaven ever again!

I wash mine once, maybe twice a week and oil it a little daily otherwise it ends up feeling quite straggly. I just use the bulldog original beard oil, you can try all the fancy oils you want but they're all the same to be honest.

Bulldog. Seen that one.

Not sure if i should shave my goatee down or not.

Soldato
I've always felt all these beard products are just a money making hipster con. When I had a long beard (pre hipster) I just treated it the same as the hair on my head. At its longest the beard was over 12" and never saw any oil or 'balm'
Shampoo, conditioner, done.

Soldato
Best thing for beards, buy some proper shampoo and conditioner aimed at womens long hair. Wash with shampoo, rinse, apply conditioner and rinse. Towel dry.

Job's a goodun

Beard shampoo I've found gives a soft feeling for a few hours and then back to normal. Oil and wax, pointless.

I would recommend getting a decent comb/brush. I've the sandlewood comb from https://bfwoodbeard.com/collections/beard-comb/products/bfwood-beard-comb?variant=9607157121139 and it's great. Smells great too.

Caporegime
Well, i have had a goatee for quite a few years. Now, i fancy growing a full 'wedge' shaped beard!

Never used any beard products either but going to start using beard oil.

One tip i have read is to let it grow! Dont trim etc. But, important to nourish the beard.

Anyone on here done the same?

Any tips?

What about oil, balm etc? Your favourite?

I am 55 now and goatee is grey!
I can't grow a beard without getting horrid beard dandruff.

It's next to impossible to properly scrub and exfoliate the skin with a beard.

I just have the uncouth stubble now.

Soldato
Don't use beard oil get some Bulldog beard balm it is far far batter.

Also invest in a good wire brush which in combo with the balm will straighten the hairs and keep in neat.

As for growing it out, some bits will grow much faster than others. Get a proper rechargeable beard trimmer, set it on a medium setting to start and go in a downward motion only. This will catch the long stragglers and keep it even while it fills out.

You could take the goatee down a bit but why waste all that good growth.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom