Upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 ?

Soldato
Yep, just download the media creation tool, select upgrade this pc now when it asks and follow the instructions, it'll automatically activate as soon as it connects to the internet once setup.

Capodecina
Soldato
Upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 10 works - I have just done it twice.
Windows 10 is desperately slow and suffers from so much clutter - I hate it :(

Man of Honour

Is it still free? That page states that you need a licence for Win 10 and I thought the free Win 10 licences for people with Win 7 or 8 licences stopped ages ago.

I'm going to have to "upgrade" to Win 10 before security updates for Win 7 stop and I'd rather not pay for it because I don't really want it. So if I have a choice, I'll do it for free if it's legit. Paying £120 to become a product, lose privacy and security and reliability and be forced to eat whatever MS feeds to me really doesn't appeal to me. It seems like adding insult to injury.

Soldato
Is it still free? That page states that you need a licence for Win 10 and I thought the free Win 10 licences for people with Win 7 or 8 licences stopped ages ago.

I'm going to have to "upgrade" to Win 10 before security updates for Win 7 stop and I'd rather not pay for it because I don't really want it. So if I have a choice, I'll do it for free if it's legit. Paying £120 to become a product, lose privacy and security and reliability and be forced to eat whatever MS feeds to me really doesn't appeal to me. It seems like adding insult to injury.

Yes, it's still free.

Soldato
I've recently done a couple of fresh installs of Win 10, and just given it an old (from an old, scrapped PC) Win 7 key when it prompts for a key during the install process. Soon as you go online, it happily shows as activated.

Man of Honour
Cheers for that information. That saves me £120 to spend on something else. Better make a note of my Win 7 key before I "upgrade" to 10.

Hmm...I have 2. One on my old case, one in Windows itself. Guess the one I'm currently using is the one to go with, since that definitely authenticates. I vaguely recall buying Win7 again after changing most of my hardware because the previous key was OEM. I've no objection to paying for an OS. Just to paying for Win10.

Hmm...£120 would get me a 1TB 860 EVO. I don't need another TB of internal storage, but it would be convenient for more games.

Man of Honour
I've recently done a couple of fresh installs of Win 10, and just given it an old (from an old, scrapped PC) Win 7 key when it prompts for a key during the install process. Soon as you go online, it happily shows as activated.

I have another question - do you have to deactivate the Windows 7 key before being able to use it to activate a Windows 10 installation?

Soldato
****BUMP****

I'm about to do this now as well but my worry is that will Windows 10 eat up the last remaining space on my HD or will it just do a fresh install while keeping all my applications data etc in place? The reason i ask is that I've got 22gb left on my 250Gb HD and I've read that Windows 10 is 20Gb so I'm assuming i could be in trouble :(

Soldato
I normally do that and it can free up a couple of GB. I think I should be able to shift a few things onto an external HD as well but my question is really the space taken up by windows 7 will it be cleared and overwritten by 10 or will it sit dormant next to it?

Permabanned
I normally do that and it can free up a couple of GB. I think I should be able to shift a few things onto an external HD as well but my question is really the space taken up by windows 7 will it be cleared and overwritten by 10 or will it sit dormant next to it?

Initially it will be there possible windows.old but you can clear that again using Disk Cleanup once you in windows 10.

Soldato
I've heard you need about 25gb free for the new install as it creates all sorts of recovery and work files etc, so check that out before you start.

Back
Top Bottom