• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU dilemma - AMD or Nvidia with these thoughts in mind...

Associate
Hi,

Hoping some more opinions can help me end this weeks long GPU dilemma I've had. I'm building a new system for a variety of uses. What I know for sure is that it'll be a Ryzen 5 3600, with 16GB of RAM on an MSI Gaming Pro Carbon motherboard. I'm sticking with my Dell U2412M monitor for now. What I don't know about is the GPU. I'm coming from a system with a GTX 470.

I'm torn between the RX5700 (Sapphire £350) and the RTX 2060 Super (Gigabyte £400ish).

I understand that the RX 5700 (once overclocked) makes the most sense in value for money terms. However the reviews looking at Adobe Premiere and AE are not good - scrambled preview videos, lags, crashes etc. I don't do so much video editing nowadays but would like eventually to get back into it on this new system. In the immediate future I'll be using it for gaming, but am a little worried that Adobe support for AMD will not improve.

So I guess my main concern is near future compatibility and future proofing.

Any input on this would be great!

Associate
OP
Aren’t the vega cards decent for video editing?
I have Adobe Premiere Elements 2019 and my Vega 56 runs the preview nicely, my RX 480 wasnt so good in Elements 8 so i suppose AMD have better support now.

I hadn't even been considering a Vega as I'd been considering it a previous generation. I can't find many comparisons of the Vega against the Navi 5700 in editing. Guess the sensible decision would be to go with the 2060S at this point.

Soldato
After Effects is junk for GPU acceleration anyway. It only ever uses OpenGL to build in 3D space, all actual rendering for RAM previews and final output is still CPU.

Premiere can use CUDA and OpenCL for editing, but unless you're doing multi layered 4K with a colour correction and a boat load of filters, you're still better off with pure CPU grunt. The only time I've ever used my Kepler GTX Titan for Premiere was to humiliate a friend's overpriced MacBook Pro who went on a "pros only use Macs" fanboi rant :p

Back
Top Bottom