Ultrawide Monitor for gaming recommendations - £1200 ish budget

Associate
OcUK Staff
Haha no I have not purchased a monitor yet as I was waiting for Black Friday, I did email Dell to try get a deal on the Alienware one. @NikTheSHNIK do you expect this deal to last until Black Friday and do you see it becoming any cheaper on actual Black Friday?

I wont do any deals with vendors which have one price and then go deeper so this is the price now until stock runs out.

Deal only just went live, will see how it goes over the weekend and let you know how stock looks like it will hold out.

Associate
I wont do any deals with vendors which have one price and then go deeper so this is the price now until stock runs out.

Deal only just went live, will see how it goes over the weekend and let you know how stock looks like it will hold out.

This has given me a tough decision!! Fed up of waiting for the LG 38GL950G, so was glad to hear the AW3420DW is finally available in the UK. For the same price as the LG 34GK950F it seemed like the AW was a better deal as infinitely better customer support and exchange/returns policy from Dell vs LG for the exact same panel. Only other difference is the AW3420DW is underclocked to 120Hz which I don't care about too much. But now with this black friday price i'm a bit stuck (in a good way!):rolleyes::rolleyes:

Soldato
3418dw with warranty available on members market for £600ish quid.

dont see the speal of the 3420dw over that when its double the price.

if u really have to spend £1200 on a monitor, then i'd be realistically looking at the CRG9 as i feel the LG 34-F and AW3420dw just offer marginal improvement over last gen's IPS panels whilst the CRG9 provides a completely phenomenally different (yet slightly flawed) 32:9 experience which is hard to forget. The only thing which matches it for immersion is either VR or if you have an amazing sound system like a 5.1.2.

warning it has severe QA issues but definitely worth a gamble IMO.

Waiting for the 38-G too is not a bad shout but i don't see it being significantly better or even better than the CRG9 dependant on tastes.

OcUK Staff
Myself, I wouldn't gamble.

This is a proven monitor at a great price.

LG have been smashing it recently with their IPS panels.

Not to say the CRG9 isn't a great monitor and samsung's aren't great monitors.

I however would lump for this and I promise you won't be disappointed!

Associate
if u really have to spend £1200 on a monitor, then i'd be realistically looking at the CRG9 as i feel the LG 34-F and AW3420dw just offer marginal improvement over last gen's IPS panels whilst the CRG9 provides a completely phenomenally different (yet slightly flawed) 32:9 experience which is hard to forget. The only thing which matches it for immersion is either VR or if you have an amazing sound system like a 5.1.2.

warning it has severe QA issues but definitely worth a gamble IMO.

Waiting for the 38-G too is not a bad shout but i don't see it being significantly better or even better than the CRG9 dependant on tastes.

AW3420DW is the same Nano-IPS panel as the LG 34GK950F, which is an upgrade over the AW3418DW. Considering in the UK the price of a new 3418 and 3420 is basically identical then the 3420 is obviously a better buy. When comparing the LG and the AW, the AW comes with a 5 year warranty, and Dell's exceptional customer service with advanced exchange. LG is sub-par in comparison to say the least - but the LG is gysnc and freesync compatible so you're not locked into NVidia in future, whereas the Alienware is G-Sync only.

The CRG9 is undoubtedly an excellent monitor in certain use cases, but not everybody wants, needs, or has space for a 49" behemoth with it's own flaws in keeping with the 32:9 aspect ratio and the dodgy QA as you mentioned.

The LG 38GL950G seems like the perfect monitor, except for the fact that its release is as nebulous as a fart in the wind along with a £1600 price tag.

Associate
I have decided to purchase LG 34GK950F as an early Christmas pressy to me. I am on holiday on Monday and Wednesday but typically if I order now it shows Tuesday delivery while I am not home.

Would it be possible to change the delivery to Wednesday as an amendment to my order if order today (or tomorrow which is Sunday)?

Thanks

Deks

Soldato
AW3420DW is the same Nano-IPS panel as the LG 34GK950F, which is an upgrade over the AW3418DW. Considering in the UK the price of a new 3418 and 3420 is basically identical then the 3420 is obviously a better buy. When comparing the LG and the AW, the AW comes with a 5 year warranty, and Dell's exceptional customer service with advanced exchange. LG is sub-par in comparison to say the least - but the LG is gysnc and freesync compatible so you're not locked into NVidia in future, whereas the Alienware is G-Sync only.

The CRG9 is undoubtedly an excellent monitor in certain use cases, but not everybody wants, needs, or has space for a 49" behemoth with it's own flaws in keeping with the 32:9 aspect ratio and the dodgy QA as you mentioned.

The LG 38GL950G seems like the perfect monitor, except for the fact that its release is as nebulous as a fart in the wind along with a £1600 price tag.

Again, I'm not sold on the 'nano ips panel' being a significant upgrade over the 3481dw to enchance the actual user experience over the CRG9 which does offer a significantly more immersive, different, enveloping experience.

If I put a 34-F infront of one person, and a AW3418Dw infront of another in a blind RCT, and switch them half way through, I don't feel like either person over the time of a year will really moan or cry or feel the gameplay was significantly better on one or the other.

I was referring to the a 3418Dw available at £600 on the market place versus the 3420dw which is significantly more expensive.
If the same or similar price, then its a totally different question.

The 38-F is far from perfect. Its too pricey, lacks HDR and frankly for £1600, you're firmly into OLED TV territory. I bet it will be an IPS glow monstrosity too. IPS glow is easy to stomach when you pay <700.. but man.. £1,000+ and having terrible dark room performance is sad.

____

For me, with my personal monitor experience (having played with nearly all the panels), I think of it as this:

£600 = AW3418DW secondhand with warranty (best value for money, excellent build quality, lacking 24hz and a color gamut that will hardly ever be used with the 34-F/3420DW which are nearly double the price or 1.5x the price)
£1000 = CRG9 (super immersive, better blacks)
£1500 = OLED TV (will make every single monitor you've used look **** poor and will unlock higher resolution high fps mode next graphics card release with HDMI 2.1)

This is for my use case (I'm not a competitve gamer). If I was a competitive gamer, then I'd steer clear of all those panels.

Associate
I ordered the monitor :) and sent a webmail ticket to ask for Wednesday delivery. Hopefully it will get sorted before they post it :).

Back
Top Bottom