beards

Soldato
I've always felt all these beard products are just a money making hipster con. When I had a long beard (pre hipster) I just treated it the same as the hair on my head. At its longest the beard was over 12" and never saw any oil or 'balm'
Shampoo, conditioner, done.

same, never had any real issues and pretty much my beard growing policy is vaguely remembering to neaten it up when i get my hair cut.

Soldato
Should i grow out my beard with goatee or start from a clean shave?
if your goatee is healthy i don't see why you couldn't grow the rest out from there
personally i'd probably start from a clean shave. i do not grow the best beards or thickest but i did grow one a while back (no longer have it)
i just let it grow and didn't even consider trimming it for at least six months. the only thing you might be trimming is your lip as the hair will be curling into your mouth :p
it's a game of patience. once you have good length you can start shaping it
also i would not bother with any products again until you have good growth. waste of money
only thing i did was comb it now and again

FTM

FTM

Soldato
I just have a beard by default..I am just too lazy to shave..its not a statement or anything, just pure bone idleness

beard gets trimmed at same time as hair gets cut, once a month

Caporegime
I just have a beard by default..I am just too lazy to shave..its not a statement or anything, just pure bone idleness

beard gets trimmed at same time as hair gets cut, once a month
Same as me, haven’t clean shaven for quite a few yrs now.
Thankfully my missus has grown to love my beard. Before when we met I was clean shaven.
But I usually get my beard trimmed and shaped once or twice a month by my barber.
I’ve got a mint type of oil for it but honestly I hardly use it. Usually give it a brush every morning to straighten it out.

Soldato
I had a good 4-6inch beard for a few ears until recently when my 5 month old found it a fun toy to pull on. Tears in my eyes a few times so I've been and lopped it all off back to a good stubble. I am very eager to grow it back once the little one gets better hand control.

Soldato
Still can't grow a beard at my age. It's the goatee side sections from end of lips to chin that still haven't grown in.
Wear a wide brimmed hat and a rapier, rock the Musketeer look.

Bunch of pansies! :D If you're going to 'oil' your beard then there's only one product worth using.
I still have a couple of those original issue bottles, filled with oil. Definitely agree on the smell!

Soldato
I had a good 4-6inch beard for a few ears until recently when my 5 month old found it a fun toy to pull on. Tears in my eyes a few times so I've been and lopped it all off back to a good stubble. I am very eager to grow it back once the little one gets better hand control.

When my son was 2 he threw up over the both of us, I was holding him against me so it didn't go anywhere and shouted the wife.

She came in, grabbed him and as she pulled him away he projectile vomited as she aimed him at my face.

Managed to keep my mouth shut but I had a massive vomit beard as a result :D

Think I have a photo somewhere :D

Associate
Had a beard now for years now, used to use some oils but found they smelt nice but got every where, I just use head and shoulders on it now same as the head and then a good go with a boar bristle beard brush does the trick nicely.

Soldato
OP
Only problem is that a beard will prob make me look about 70! Lol

It will be totally grey. Got a grey goatee now. Bald head too.

Going to give it a go though. Will shave just above Adams apple though as i hate scruffy, hairy necks! Lol

Looks like oils are a waste of money then. On youtube they all recommend them though. Maybe they on commission!

Soldato
Yeh keep your neck line and cheak lines shaved with a razor, and in the stages where its longer than designer stubble but not really a full beard, use some beard clippers or I just use a cheap Gillette trimmer https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gillette-F...ywords=gillette+trimmer&qid=1573244267&sr=8-2

Use the number 2 or number 3 guards in the early stages to tame the straggly bits whilst allowing any sparse patches to fill out.

Once the beard is longer you remove the guard and shape the beard more free style, but for example I still use a number 3 guard on my sideburns down to just below my cheek bones.

Keeps it all looking nice and neat that way whilst it's in progress so you don't have to look like a tramp.

I've never used oil.. Had a beard for probably 7 plus years now.
If I did want to experiment with oil, I use essential oil in a burner anyway so I'd just use almond oil with a few drops of sandalwood or tee tree oil or what ever.

Soldato
You still need to shave a little bit to keep the edges neat, but on the plus side, something like a Gillette razor will last closer to a year rather than a month before the blade is knackered.

Back
Top Bottom