Working & Living In Dubai

Soldato
First of all, Hello GD! It's been a loooong time since I've posted; moved to Italy over 3.5 years ago for a new job. Been so hard at work, I hardly posted, though occasionally I loiter around for UK news and Brexit stuff...

Anyway, I have recently been offered a job in Dubai and wonder if anyone have had experience working and living in Dubai?

Basic research have shown me Economical differences etc, but I need on the ground, European experiences as an Expat, with a family kind of experience. Would really appreciate your insight.

My personal experience thus far is travelling through the airport hub. In a fortnight, I'll be on site speaking to the Stakeholders to manage their expectations and reply on the tabled offer. It's nothing ridiculous as I am of technical background and the role will be Executive level.

TL: DR - Have you lived and/or worked in Dubai? How was it?

Soldato
I know a few who worked for Emirates and lived there, I’ve also visited a lot with work. It’s a fairly unique experience I’ve been told and a little marmite. You either love it or hate it. One of the big ones is the weather in the summer, it will be pushing 50c a lot of the time!

Associate
I live in the UAE and have done for the past 10 years, I'm getting a bit sick of it because there isnt that much to do but so long as you have a good group of friends you can go out and have a pretty good time.

There are not really that many cultural differences to be honest, I've never got in trouble.

I'm lucky in that my job I travel all the time and go to different countries,if I spent months on end there I would go a bit mad.

I never buy anything there though like clothes because it's pretty expensive and if you have a family it is crazy expensive.

A lot of people I know who have been there just blow all their extra cash on useless things, not much point of being an expat if you don't save a lot of money in my opinion.

Caporegime
Just remember that if you do get in trouble it can go very badly for you very quickly. Despite the modern facade it is still a backwards/primitive society run by people following a backwards/primitive belief system with some really ****ed up values.

Soldato
OP
I know a few who worked for Emirates and lived there, I’ve also visited a lot with work. It’s a fairly unique experience I’ve been told and a little marmite. You either love it or hate it. One of the big ones is the weather in the summer, it will be pushing 50c a lot of the time!
The temperature I can understand, during the summer months. What we cannot stand is humidity, which I understood isn't as bad as e.g. Milan (65-80%) on a 36°C heat. The marmite part seems to be mentioned in a few blogs. How long were most of their stints? I am expecting 5 years for the project, depending on how long I need to build the team, structure and process - potentially longer.

I live in the UAE and have done for the past 10 years, I'm getting a bit sick of it because there isnt that much to do but so long as you have a good group of friends you can go out and have a pretty good time.

There are not really that many cultural differences to be honest, I've never got in trouble.

I'm lucky in that my job I travel all the time and go to different countries,if I spent months on end there I would go a bit mad.

I never buy anything there though like clothes because it's pretty expensive and if you have a family it is crazy expensive.

A lot of people I know who have been there just blow all their extra cash on useless things, not much point of being an expat if you don't save a lot of money in my opinion.
Totally understand on the money saving part - We are moving over with all our existing stuff, so apart from the few weeks wait, we should be OK. Not heavy on fashion and Milan's pricing for clothing aren't Primark either. Definitely keen on saving up more - may change over time.

Are you based in Expat areas like the Marina or more inner land? Any opinions on the surrounding - for a young family accommodation? (Got a 1 year old and wife, who will be a Expat Stay at home mum)

I will be mostly based in Dubai; how's the internet over there? Websites that compares prices seems to show at least 4x the typical cost of Fibre in Italy... 80euros/month, is this true?

Just remember that if you do get in trouble it can go very badly for you very quickly. Despite the modern facade it is still a backwards/primitive society run by people following a backwards/primitive belief system with some really ****ed up values.
This seems to be a general vibe looking from outside, but generally we keep to ourselves but do try to blend into local culture where possible. Don't aim to push the laws - this won't be the first stint outside of the UK.

alx

alx

Soldato
The humidity is bad, in the summer it's regularly 60-80% humidity and 40 plus degrees due to the coastal location. You get sort of used to it but it's not pleasant and means you don't want to be outside. This time of year is lovely though.

With internet they tend to bundle in tv packages (Internet on its own is expensive) - I pay around £100 a month for 80mb Internet and tv package, although recently they've been offering 600mb Internet for pretty much the same price (my apartment now has fibre connection).

Bear in mind lots of things are expensive here, especially eating out and drinking (unless you specifically aim for very cheap places). Groceries are often expensive because lots of items need to imported, so be prepared for a bit of a shock.

Also you mentioned you might be here for 5 years, you will need to factor in schooling for your child which again is expensive here as it's all private.

It's a cultural melting pot of expats from various different places so don't expect British/European politeness and manners, takes some getting used to.

One thing to remember is because it's a tax free country it's very good at making you part with your money ;)

Any other questions feel free to fire away.

Soldato
OP
The humidity is bad, in the summer it's regularly 60-80% humidity and 40 plus degrees due to the coastal location. You get sort of used to it but it's not pleasant and means you don't want to be outside. This time of year is lovely though.

With internet they tend to bundle in tv packages (Internet on its own is expensive) - I pay around £100 a month for 80mb Internet and tv package, although recently they've been offering 600mb Internet for pretty much the same price (my apartment now has fibre connection).

Bear in mind lots of things are expensive here, especially eating out and drinking (unless you specifically aim for very cheap places). Groceries are often expensive because lots of items need to imported, so be prepared for a bit of a shock.

Also you mentioned you might be here for 5 years, you will need to factor in schooling for your child which again is expensive here as it's all private.

It's a cultural melting pot of expats from various different places so don't expect British/European politeness and manners, takes some getting used to.

One thing to remember is because it's a tax free country it's very good at making you part with your money ;)

Any other questions feel free to fire away.

Great insight!
I didn't know the humidity is that high there too, normally when you hit past 40, it's less humid... Damn, I am gonna be sticky again. At least they know its hot and everywhere is either shaded or air conditioned?

Do you have any recommendation on areas to look at? Everyone bangs on about the Marina... Is it really that great for Expat?

We currently live in Milan, so it's expensive for food but quality makes up for it. A meal out with the wife is normally 70Euros plus drinks, but I'll have a good look when I am over too.

Same with schooling, nursery is private here for English speaking, and tracking on expat sites shows its about the same.

One of the draw for this opportunity, is to get major project experiences and to save enough to head back to UK/Europe to setup my own consultancy firm (or another adventure elsewhere)

You mentioned TV and Internet, for that price, includes movies and/or sports type like Sky or basic?

Caporegime
This seems to be a general vibe looking from outside, but generally we keep to ourselves but do try to blend into local culture where possible. Don't aim to push the laws - this won't be the first stint outside of the UK.

While that's fine there is still plenty that can go wrong in a place like that, even if you're always respectful dressed, give up alcohol etc..etc.. taking out any form of credit has its risks, losing your job can cause problems, bouncing a cheque can get you thrown in jail, having a car accident with the wrong person could get you taking the blame or just having some business dispute turn nasty.

Chances are you'll be absolutely fine just as 99% of people are when they go there, in fact chances are you could sleep with prostitutes, take drugs etc..etc.. and still be absolutely fine so long as you're discrete about it.

Its just worth mentioning that in the unlikely event that something does go wrong over there then it can go very very wrong indeed. There is a reason why there are so many supercars abandoned near the airport etc..

Associate
The temperature I can understand, during the summer months. What we cannot stand is humidity, which I understood isn't as bad as e.g. Milan (65-80%) on a 36°C heat. The marmite part seems to be mentioned in a few blogs. How long were most of their stints? I am expecting 5 years for the project, depending on how long I need to build the team, structure and process - potentially longer.

Totally understand on the money saving part - We are moving over with all our existing stuff, so apart from the few weeks wait, we should be OK. Not heavy on fashion and Milan's pricing for clothing aren't Primark either. Definitely keen on saving up more - may change over time.

Are you based in Expat areas like the Marina or more inner land? Any opinions on the surrounding - for a young family accommodation? (Got a 1 year old and wife, who will be a Expat Stay at home mum)

I will be mostly based in Dubai; how's the internet over there? Websites that compares prices seems to show at least 4x the typical cost of Fibre in Italy... 80euros/month, is this true?

I live in the Abu Dhabi but the marina is quite built up and the traffic can be bad, lots of things to do close by though. If you look at a villa or townhouse it is important not to be out in the sticks or somewhere with no trees as it can be depressing. This is really important if your wife is not working.

Internet is extremely expensive although the speeds are quite good. A vpn and smart DNS is a must! Mobile contracts are also expensive!

Food wise the quality will be not as good as milan and expensive. Compared to supermarkets in the UK the prices are much more, with a lack of choice and quality. Walking into Tesco or Sainsburys is food heaven!

Life in the UAE is pretty easy though and if you are sensible you can save a lot of money. You get to meet lots of different people from different countries and it is generally pretty tolerant if you don't mess around too much.

I would factor in that doing anything with a child costs a lot of money. The fees the school charge for football classes etc are just crazy!

alx

alx

Soldato
Great insight!
I didn't know the humidity is that high there too, normally when you hit past 40, it's less humid... Damn, I am gonna be sticky again. At least they know its hot and everywhere is either shaded or air conditioned?

Do you have any recommendation on areas to look at? Everyone bangs on about the Marina... Is it really that great for Expat?

We currently live in Milan, so it's expensive for food but quality makes up for it. A meal out with the wife is normally 70Euros plus drinks, but I'll have a good look when I am over too.

Same with schooling, nursery is private here for English speaking, and tracking on expat sites shows its about the same.

One of the draw for this opportunity, is to get major project experiences and to save enough to head back to UK/Europe to setup my own consultancy firm (or another adventure elsewhere)

You mentioned TV and Internet, for that price, includes movies and/or sports type like Sky or basic?

It's generally geared up for aircon and most outdoor areas for the restaurants, bars, cafes etc are closed over summer.

Do you want to live in an apartment or a villa? Marina is quite 'British/European expat', but as others have said the traffic getting into it can be bad.

Other areas to look at are Downtown, The Greens, JLT, JVC, JVT, The Springs - there are various guides online to the different areas. Let me know what sort of property and area you'd like and I can try and point you in the right direction.

There's A LOT of food/restaurant choice here, everything for traditional indian/curry for a £5 to Michelin rated restaurants and very fine dining - and the prices are varied also. Lots of people use The Entertainer to get 2 for 1 meals, my HSBC credit card for example gives it to me for free.

You will normally pay extra for full sports packages unfortunately. As others have said definitely sort VPN account before you leave UK.

Another thing to remember is that the number of locals (Emiratis) in the UAE is low, less than 15% from memory. Over 60% are from the India, Pakistan and far east so its a mix of cultures, the majority of which are expats, which has its plus and minus points.

Happy to keep answering any questions you may have.

Soldato
OP
I live in the Abu Dhabi but the marina is quite built up and the traffic can be bad, lots of things to do close by though. If you look at a villa or townhouse it is important not to be out in the sticks or somewhere with no trees as it can be depressing. This is really important if your wife is not working.

Internet is extremely expensive although the speeds are quite good. A vpn and smart DNS is a must! Mobile contracts are also expensive!

Food wise the quality will be not as good as milan and expensive. Compared to supermarkets in the UK the prices are much more, with a lack of choice and quality. Walking into Tesco or Sainsburys is food heaven!

Life in the UAE is pretty easy though and if you are sensible you can save a lot of money. You get to meet lots of different people from different countries and it is generally pretty tolerant if you don't mess around too much.

I would factor in that doing anything with a child costs a lot of money. The fees the school charge for football classes etc are just crazy!

I love this, 'Walking into Tesco or Sainsburys is food heaven!'

Gives me a better understanding, as we do cook a lot at home.

The school fees looks OK for up to Primary schooling (mine is just short of 1 year old), but extra activities isn't really visible. I'll have to research more.

Both you and alx mentioned VPN, are many sites blocked or an issue? I worked in Shanghai for 7 weeks, so VPN was more for vaulting over the Great Firewall, but never really pushed tested for gaming and latency, any recommendations?

We own more consoles than sense, so online gaming/streaming is a a must, especially for my missus.

It's generally geared up for aircon and most outdoor areas for the restaurants, bars, cafes etc are closed over summer.

Do you want to live in an apartment or a villa? Marina is quite 'British/European expat', but as others have said the traffic getting into it can be bad.

Other areas to look at are Downtown, The Greens, JLT, JVC, JVT, The Springs - there are various guides online to the different areas. Let me know what sort of property and area you'd like and I can try and point you in the right direction.

There's A LOT of food/restaurant choice here, everything for traditional indian/curry for a £5 to Michelin rated restaurants and very fine dining - and the prices are varied also. Lots of people use The Entertainer to get 2 for 1 meals, my HSBC credit card for example gives it to me for free.

You will normally pay extra for full sports packages unfortunately. As others have said definitely sort VPN account before you leave UK.

Another thing to remember is that the number of locals (Emiratis) in the UAE is low, less than 15% from memory. Over 60% are from the India, Pakistan and far east so its a mix of cultures, the majority of which are expats, which has its plus and minus points.

Happy to keep answering any questions you may have.

Most likely looking at apartments, though I'll know the exact site and location for work after next weekend, not a big fan of traversing across city daily.

But for my family, just to make it easier for their travels when I'm at work.

The Entertainer card is new to me, I'll have a look.

Speaking of Credit Cards; I assume a local bank account etc is needed for daily use and dealings? If so, what international banks are present?

Thanks.

alx

alx

Soldato
For groceries there are various online delivery places that are decent, I use Kibsons which is good for veg, fruit, fish, meat etc - although I prefer the meat from the local Choirathms so pick it up from there. The degree of choice is better in some areas and worse in others, for example large Carrefours have huge range of veg, meat, fish - however the dried, packaged, tinned, stuff etc is more limited.

Not many sites are blocked, just the ones you'd expect ;), people mainly use them for Voip and accessing geolocation tv (BBC iplayer, netflix, etc).

Yes you need a local bank, most companies won't pay into a foreign bank. HSBC are here and a few colleagues and friends use them. I use a local bank, it's easy enough to send money back using services such as UAE Exchange which are reasonable.

Caporegime
While that's fine there is still plenty that can go wrong in a place like that, even if you're always respectful dressed, give up alcohol etc..etc.. taking out any form of credit has its risks, losing your job can cause problems, bouncing a cheque can get you thrown in jail, having a car accident with the wrong person could get you taking the blame or just having some business dispute turn nasty.

Chances are you'll be absolutely fine just as 99% of people are when they go there, in fact chances are you could sleep with prostitutes, take drugs etc..etc.. and still be absolutely fine so long as you're discrete about it.

Its just worth mentioning that in the unlikely event that something does go wrong over there then it can go very very wrong indeed. There is a reason why there are so many supercars abandoned near the airport etc..

Yeah, it's definitely not a place I would ever visit, homophobic laws from the dark ages.

Back
Top Bottom