Your current Fish tank Setups!

Soldato
You can buy many of the cabinets without the tank, like the Jewel ones. Just make sure its big enough.

When I upgrade it will be something like that then a custom made tank. As its cheaper than buying it as a kit.

Soldato
Thank you for your valid points and explanation on how I could go wrong. It sounds like I either need to get the appropriate matching fish tank stand or go for a smaller tank to prevent any issues being placed upon my sideboard.

No problem, I wasn’t saying don’t do it but it’s a minefield and risky if you don’t know that you are doing.

Most furniture isn’t designed to have a significant amount of weight put on it for long periods of time, especially something that is a ‘live’ weight (the water is moving).

A 100L tank could weigh between 150-200kg in total. The water would be 100kg, tank 15kg+, 10kg in rocks, 10kg in sand, lights, filter, pumps etc. I realise that some water will be displaced by the decoration but it’s not a significant to try and estimate.

For reference 150kg is two fit adults, 200kg is two very overweight adults.

You’ll also want the stand to be able to take far more weight than just the tank because it has to support its self and people that may bump it etc when working on it etc.

Associate
No problem, I wasn’t saying don’t do it but it’s a minefield and risky if you don’t know that you are doing.

Most furniture isn’t designed to have a significant amount of weight put on it for long periods of time, especially something that is a ‘live’ weight (the water is moving).

A 100L tank could weigh between 150-200kg in total. The water would be 100kg, tank 15kg+, 10kg in rocks, 10kg in sand, lights, filter, pumps etc. I realise that some water will be displaced by the decoration but it’s not a significant to try and estimate.

For reference 150kg is two fit adults, 200kg is two very overweight adults.

You’ll also want the stand to be able to take far more weight than just the tank because it has to support its self and people that may bump it etc when working on it etc.

I had a look through Swell UK and found various tank and cabinet combos that appeal to me.

Juwel Primo 70
Oase StyleLine 85
Fluval Roma 90
Juwel Lido 120
Juwel Rio 125
Fluval Roma 125

Just need to find the sweet spot for housing livestock, plants and kids bits they want to put in without looking overcrowded.

This hobby isn't certainly cheap :eek:

Soldato
I had a look through Swell UK and found various tank and cabinet combos that appeal to me.

Juwel Primo 70
Oase StyleLine 85
Fluval Roma 90
Juwel Lido 120
Juwel Rio 125
Fluval Roma 125

Just need to find the sweet spot for housing livestock, plants and kids bits they want to put in without looking overcrowded.

i had a roma 90, good tank but the stand was made out of chipboard and started to bubble
After a year or so of getting splashed.

survived being drilled for a sump aswell incase you might look into that in the future

Soldato

Juwel Primo 70
Oase StyleLine 85
Fluval Roma 90
Juwel Lido 120
Juwel Rio 125
Fluval Roma 125

cheap cheap ymmv :p
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-l...d_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=used&m=A2OAJ7377F756P
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-l...d_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=used&m=A2OAJ7377F756P

Soldato
Any idea what these are?

PFgMWPc.jpg

Regarding a prospective marine tank, got my eye on a 36" x 24" x 24", roughly 300l with a 80l sump.
Back in the day, I had a load of live rock for filtration, but I've seen a few things about dry rock but don't quite understand what they are, do they have the capability to become "live" rock?
I'm trying to find the cheapest way to get live rock in the tank.

Also what kind of lighting do you need for hard corals? I used metal halide before.

Associate
Any idea what these are?

Regarding a prospective marine tank, got my eye on a 36" x 24" x 24", roughly 300l with a 80l sump.
Back in the day, I had a load of live rock for filtration, but I've seen a few things about dry rock but don't quite understand what they are, do they have the capability to become "live" rock?
I'm trying to find the cheapest way to get live rock in the tank.

Also what kind of lighting do you need for hard corals? I used metal halide before.

So proper live rock is difficult to find in the UK right now. Your best bet is to get some from a tank breakdown. Therefore most people tend to start with dry rock of which there are quite a few different types! Basically it's either man made, mined or seeded/aqua-cultured rock (which would be wet when you get it). Whichever type you get will over time become 'live' rock - albeit you won't get as much bio diversity as with proper live rock. Dry rock in general tends to be less porous and so isn't quite as good for filtration so lots of people supplement with some other media in the sump e.g. Sipporax, marine pure etc. One big advantage of dry rock though is that it comes in all sorts of useful shapes which makes aquascaping it really simple!

Personally if I was starting a new tank now I'd do my best to find as much proper stuff as possible and then pick from whichever dry rock brand I liked the look of the most.

As for lighting most people tend to use LED nowadays as they're very controllable and no need to change bulbs every 6 months or whatever. Hybrid LED/T5 are popular as well. I use 2x AI Hydra 26HD personally (90cm tank). Ecotech radions are very popular as well as a few cheaper Chinese brands like Evergrow.

Soldato
I just setup a new tank and used something called Real Reef Rock. I seeded it using Dr Tims all in one.

It's an expensive way of doing it, but my previous tank had all sorts of nasties in it, and I was determined not to let that happen this time.

Soldato
Nerite snails drop them all over the place :/

Shrimp will eat algae quicker I think, but they can't grip on to the glass like snails.

Last edited:
Soldato
prob nerrite eggs then they don't hatch in fresh water from what i've read need too be brakish conditions for them too breed successfully. are they good algae eaters ? i might get a couple

I only have 2 in my 55l, but either through luck, or these little guys, I've never had to clean my glass.

Soldato
Had a bit of a trim today in the tank and the god damn shrimp wouldn't leave me alone!
Used to have that trouble with cleaner shrimp, didn't expect it from fresh water shrimp, they were even jumping on the end of the scissors.

oAV189g.jpg

NGxce19.jpg

Associate
Is there anywhere you can list fish for sale/free anymore? I used to use Facebook, but that's all pet free now, gumtree seems to be paywalled for pet stuff. I've got a few Sparkling Gourami that need a new home (they're eating/farming my shrimp babies again).

Back
Top Bottom