Road Cycling

Associate
we have 3 735XT in this household. all i can say is it's has been pretty good. battery life is quite long (i charge 1-2 times a week), lightweight, no non-sense approach (comforable strap, easy to replace). the only downside is that i mainly swim in breast stoke and the GPS signal is not strong enough to track that outdoor. but this is not unqie to this watch, only apple watch is capable of getting gps signal in water.

Soldato
So both my euro orders arrived which I placed Monday night (Wednesday and today).

Parcelforce 48hr hasn’t (frame). Still at National hub & posted to my work so there’d be someone to sign for it in the week.

Better arrive tomorrow!!!

Soldato
Heads up

Schwalbe ONE RaceGuard 700c Folding Tyre - £18 at PX.

Good tyre by all accounts. Used their Durano for quite a long time, and the One is seemingly better.

On a par with Continental Grand Prix 4000S II for a fair bit less.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYSC700CONERG/schwalbe-one-raceguard-700c-folding-tyre

Thanks for that!

I bought 2, a pair of socks and these MTB shoes - https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/SHFLRF55/planet-x-triple-strap-mtb-shoe

Starting with those to get used to clipless, and for a bit of bikepacking on the coast next year with my wife & (maybe) daughter.

Pedals next.

Soldato
So both my euro orders arrived which I placed Monday night (Wednesday and today).

Parcelforce 48hr hasn’t (frame). Still at National hub & posted to my work so there’d be someone to sign for it in the week.

Better arrive tomorrow!!!
Annoying as hell when that happens! Had a simlilar one last week - paid for 'next day delivery' from something ordered in the morning from Wiggle. £5.99. Took 3 days to arrive (ordered Monday, came Thursday). That same day, won something from their ebay page, that night paid the usual £2.99 delivery charge and had it in 2 days (Monday night, came Wednesday). Both DPD. Didn't check the tracking but I'll bet the actual order wasn't despatched the same day (as they promise!). Got my delivery for it refunded. :confused::mad:

Have really given up on Wiggle this year, used to be a happy customer but they've really gone downhill and not just for charging for delivery. I've not had any reason to return anything to them recently but the returns dropoff all changed makes me think their 'no fuss returns' will also have changed? Although still see lots on their ebay page (and I've grabbed quite a bit from there!).

Thanks for that!

I bought 2, a pair of socks and these MTB shoes - https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/SHFLRF55/planet-x-triple-strap-mtb-shoe

Starting with those to get used to clipless, and for a bit of bikepacking on the coast next year with my wife & (maybe) daughter.

Pedals next.
Good choices and welcome to clipless. SPD is a good introuction. Although be careful with the straps on those shoes - I recall many of the PX and DHB own branded shoes had problems with straps breaking too easily in the past. Unsure if the current seasons shoes have the same problems.

I previously used Shimano M530 pedals to have a little more of a platform when commuting than the usual M520 people use. They worked well.

Soldato
Tredz sent me a chainset with 172.5mm cranks when I clearly ordered with 170mm cranks.
Emailed them at 0900 yesterday to inform and let them know they've now ruined a weekend of working on bikes as I needed the chainset to get the jobs done.

No reply as of 13:00 yesterday so I phoned them asking what gives.... told me they would reply after 14:00.

It's now 12:00 the next day and I have still not heard a word from them.

I've ordered the same chainset from CRC now and it's on the way. So when Tredz finally decide they can be bothered to deal with their customer they can give me my full refund and send whatever courier they decide to come and collect their chainset for them. Bloody annoying having them stuff up (fair enough it happens...) but then leaving me in limbo and not bothering to even speak to me just is icing on the bad cake. Tredz can now do one in future :)

Soldato
Annoying as hell when that happens! Had a simlilar one last week - paid for 'next day delivery' from something ordered in the morning from Wiggle. £5.99. Took 3 days to arrive (ordered Monday, came Thursday). That same day, won something from their ebay page, that night paid the usual £2.99 delivery charge and had it in 2 days (Monday night, came Wednesday). Both DPD. Didn't check the tracking but I'll bet the actual order wasn't despatched the same day (as they promise!). Got my delivery for it refunded. :confused::mad:

Have really given up on Wiggle this year, used to be a happy customer but they've really gone downhill and not just for charging for delivery. I've not had any reason to return anything to them recently but the returns dropoff all changed makes me think their 'no fuss returns' will also have changed? Although still see lots on their ebay page (and I've grabbed quite a bit from there!).

Opposite side of this today from me, I ordered load of inner tubes from Wiggle yesterday on free delivery and they've turned up today, my Tacx + Garmin from CRC haven't even been dispatched yet.

Mantel though were where I placed most of my recent Di2 orders for the Inflite and they usually turned up within 2 working days, the one part I ordered from the UK from Ribble came through a day after the Mantel stuff arrived!

Soldato
Tredz sent me a chainset with 172.5mm cranks when I clearly ordered with 170mm cranks.
Haha, doh!

They are pretty useless to be fair, usually ok support though just take an age to reply.

Opposite side of this today from me, I ordered load of inner tubes from Wiggle yesterday on free delivery and they've turned up today, my Tacx + Garmin from CRC haven't even been dispatched yet.

Mantel though were where I placed most of my recent Di2 orders for the Inflite and they usually turned up within 2 working days, the one part I ordered from the UK from Ribble came through a day after the Mantel stuff arrived!
Mantel have always been good, the bigger British ones seem to be getting worse. Although Sigma I've used more recently and they've been reliable.

Soldato
Now the CRC stuff I paid £5 for next day delivery has not showed up today.
I've not had an email to say if it is even on the way or that either.

Absolutely takes the ****.

Soldato
Argh, gutted. Would sympathasise but we've just been 5 days of broadband provider changeover grief! Over 10 hours on hold. Thankfully it was all the other half... But then it was her choice to change over - to save £1 a month! :rolleyes:

Just a steady one. With what looks like G, Luke Rowe, Sam Bennet and Caleb Ewan. :eek::cool::D

Soldato

My stuff ordered yesterday hasn't sent yet and everything I've ordered recently I've received the sent notification the day after I've received it....

Soldato

Their IT is a mess. Well Wiggle's is at least. Emails sometimes turn up, sometimes don't and for the last 3-4 months every time they email me about stuff I have left in my basket it contains two items that are not in my basket and haven't been since June. I put a ticket in and IT claimed it was a one off. Just happened again this week though.

Soldato
Doubt you'll see it replace much on the road side of things since the popular solutions at the moment are rear hub drive systems.

It'll work well with e-bikes due to them having the small cog sitting exactly where they need it to be and with a single chain going front to back they can use a burlier chain.

A Di2, steps M8000 bike with a gearbox starts to sound more and more like motocross bike :D

Soldato
My stuff ordered yesterday hasn't sent yet and everything I've ordered recently I've received the sent notification the day after I've received it....

I've now had an email 2 days after ordering with next day saying its posted and will be here Tuesday....ordered from CRC and email is from wiggle....I know they're same company but loads of folk would be wondering wtf was going on.

Completely shoddy in every way. I've had enough of all these useless companies. How hard can it be? It's not like they're new to this. It's their bread and butter.

Soldato
My frame arrived Friday!

Little trip to Merlin today to get a headset and needed a BB tool for a 9100. I wasn’t sure 100% which one, the guy said oh it’s definitely (not the one I had chosen) went with his recommendation and it was wrong...

Then went to the tip to be told can’t tip plaster without a permit....

Back home. Bit of lunch & off to Winstanleys who I got the fork from yesterday. They removed the BB and fitted my crown race for me FOC (Save bodging it!) and on the spot which was bloody good.

Followed it up with a trip to Wigan tip who do accept plaster without a permit....

Happier this afternoon! Built to the stage of needing to set the shifter angle then run the cables. Need a seatpost clamp as mine doesn’t fit, but I have a carbon seatpost that does. I’ll have to put some wheels on so it sits properly before doing the shifters, but it looks nice so far.

Soldato
Sounds like a fun day out, I hate when places have different rules that don't seem to make sense.

The Dura ace BB is the smallest of all the tools, even smaller than the Ultegra/BBR60 one but it looks identical from afar.

I've had a guy come in twice now with a frame he got from Planet X during that auction thing they did.

Fit headset supplied and cut steerer - he brought a 1 1/8" external cup headset for a 1 1/8" - 1 1/2" integrated frame.

Came back today with rear gears "set up" with brake cable with no ferrule at the shifter and the inner cable clamped on the wrong part at the mech.

I can sort all of that but he had a 34.9mm clamp, I think, slid down the seat tube until it met the top tube and just horsed up tight. Supplied a 31.8mm clamp to fix that.

Front mech was also a 34.9mm but with rubber shims from a light or such to pack it out. Proper bodge. Last picky thing was the lower jockey wheel being on backwards - said has no excuse for that as it even has an arrow on it!

I think I may ride my bike again soon after 9 days off it, hope it isn't too icy in the morning.:o

Soldato
Sounds like a fun day out, I hate when places have different rules that don't seem to make sense.

The Dura ace BB is the smallest of all the tools, even smaller than the Ultegra/BBR60 one but it looks identical from afar.

I've had a guy come in twice now with a frame he got from Planet X during that auction thing they did.

Fit headset supplied and cut steerer - he brought a 1 1/8" external cup headset for a 1 1/8" - 1 1/2" integrated frame.

Came back today with rear gears "set up" with brake cable with no ferrule at the shifter and the inner cable clamped on the wrong part at the mech.

I can sort all of that but he had a 34.9mm clamp, I think, slid down the seat tube until it met the top tube and just horsed up tight. Supplied a 31.8mm clamp to fix that.

Front mech was also a 34.9mm but with rubber shims from a light or such to pack it out. Proper bodge. Last picky thing was the lower jockey wheel being on backwards - said has no excuse for that as it even has an arrow on it!

I think I may ride my bike again soon after 9 days off it, hope it isn't too icy in the morning.:o

I wrote down the model number of the BB but I think sometimes they just rely on what the computer says rather than knowing. You can’t be expected know everything as they do such a large range of stuff.

With headsets being a minefield I just got the FSA for Kinesis one as it was guaranteed to be right!

Got there in the end! My seatpost clamp is a 31.8 but it’s square at the rear whereas I need a fully round one.

I’d rather just wait instead of bodging it! And you have to try massively hard to bodge it, it’s more difficult than just doing it right in the first place!

I could have had a go at removing the BB with stilsons or similar but if it turned out to be mega tight end up damaging them, scuffing the frame or worse.

Soldato
I've now had an email 2 days after ordering with next day saying its posted and will be here Tuesday....ordered from CRC and email is from wiggle....I know they're same company but loads of folk would be wondering wtf was going on.

Completely shoddy in every way. I've had enough of all these useless companies. How hard can it be? It's not like they're new to this. It's their bread and butter.

Not even had an email to say its been sent and it's turned up today, just over 1k worth of stuff left on my doorstep. Yodel as big cowboys as crc

Back
Top Bottom