• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Duff fan bearing, any solution??

Soldato
So, I've put together a new PC, I'm really happy with it, and I'm really really pleased with how quiet it is.

Unfortunately, that's where the problem lies...

When the GPU heats up there's a vibration or rattle. Quite an obvious one too. I've been tinkering, and I thought it had stopped, so I assumed it must have been a wire vibrating against something, or something not seated properly that was rectified by chance when faffing about. Sadly not the case, it came back after around an hour :(

After lots of investigation with a microphone, I've found the issue. It's one of the three fans on the GPU. Specifically, it's the fan closest to the rear of the case.

This is the fan causing the noise, and this fan is also clearly 'looser' than the other two. The other two are rock solid if you touch them, this one has lots of play, and if you gently tap it you can practically recreate the rattle that I hear when the GPU heats up.

Interwebs investigation tells me this is a duff fan bearing.

Is there a solution? Can I change an individual fan on a GPU?

Is it proportionate to RMA the whole thing for the sake of one annoying fan?

I've already RMA'd a PSU from the build, but that was definitely faulty and being a PSU I was concerned it might damage other components, in this case it's just annoying... I'm not sure that qualifies as a reason to return it?!?!

I was hoping to get used to it, but I can't. It's too loud, and in a brand new PC that I'm really pleased with, honestly I really don't want to just 'put up' with an issue anyway...

If it can be fixed, great, if it qualifies for an RMA I will but that's a major pain, and if neither is an option then looks like someone on MM who solely uses a hedset is getting a bargain!!

Cheers for your time, and if anyone from OcUK sees this and can advise on whether an RMA is even a realistic possibility, please shout up.

Chris

Soldato
One of the reasons I moved away from fan cooled cards and stuck with waterblocks as a radiator fan can be replaced very easily.

The only thing I can suggest is either have the card on a set fan curve so the rattle is not present. If this is even possible.

Look for a replacement fan online. Yes you can replace them quite easily but would most likely mean a strip down of the card to see the part number and replace the fan.

Although I wouldn’t suggest it due to possibly voiding warranty, possible damage to the card etc. All depends on your confidence.

RMA or return the card. If it’s annoying and bothering you then you shouldn’t have to put up with it.

I’ve found in the past for future reference. MSI have the best fans, I’ve had many and they have always been good.

Soldato
Well within your rights to RMA it as faulty. You could, as said above, relatively easily enough change the fan yourself but you will most likely invalidate the warranty in the process.

Soldato
You can definetly swap the fans out and you can almost always find an identical replacement on Ebay or Ali Express. It's not too difficult a process on most cards, but it does usually require stripping it right down and removing the shroud from the heatsink to get at them. I'd highly recommend returning it instead though if it's a brand new card. The fan's faulty and that's that - you're well within your rights to return it.

It's a pity more manufacturers don't use the awesome easily swappable fans with press fit contacts that can be removed from the front, but I suppose they're more expensive.

power-connector-rx4706rk3g.jpg

Associate
I'm suprised all manufacturers haven't moved on to hot swappable fans. having to rma a card cause of the fan is like having to move house cause someone **** on your rug

Soldato
Four weeks?!?! That’s rough!!

I’d be tempted to get a second card and SLI them when the RMA comes back, but SLI is dead so I’d just be left with a second card worth less than I paid for it...

Sadness

Sucks :(

Did you buy from ocuk? Usually they test and replace if it has been purchased new.

Think last time I RMA’d a card to ocuk took 4 days to have it sent replaced and returned via next day delivery.

Soldato
OP
I did buy from OcUK...

Currently got a PSU sent off for a refund. I replaced it at the same time as I sent the duff one back, and I’m in no rush for the money, but to wait as long with no GPU is rubbish

Can’t be helped, nobodies fault, still rubbish!!

Soldato
It’s going back today...

I fear it’s going to be forever to get a replacement. They don’t have them listed on OcUK anymore, so I assume it’ll come from China.

:(
gigabyte have an rma centre in the UK as far as i know so you might be in luck. i'll keep the old fingers crossed for you (i'd say a prayer too but there's no chance the 'big man' is doing you any favours!)

Soldato
OP
****!!

Just had an email to say the ‘serial number isn’t present, so tough’.

I can only assume the serial number was on the small white sticker that was on the very visible front right corner of the backplate (as you look through the case window).

As it’s an all black build, I obviously took it off. Had no idea it would void warranty?!?!

It’s a small sticker, and it’s not like it was somewhere to ensure there’s no tampering etc?!

Why have a nice black backplate, but have a mandatory sticker on it?!?!

I’m not happy

Soldato
****!!

Just had an email to say the ‘serial number isn’t present, so tough’.

I can only assume the serial number was on the small white sticker that was on the very visible front right corner of the backplate (as you look through the case window).

As it’s an all black build, I obviously took it off. Had no idea it would void warranty?!?!

It’s a small sticker, and it’s not like it was somewhere to ensure there’s no tampering etc?!

Why have a nice black backplate, but have a mandatory sticker on it?!?!

I’m not happy
that's a crappy one. tell them there's no indication that removal of sticker invalidates warranty (hopefully it didn't say that on the sticker!!) gigabyte card isn't it?

Soldato
OP
What’s really annoying me, is me!! I took it off literally a day before I sent it back too!!!

I’m left with either living with it, which I’m not going to do, or replacing it, which is not only expensive to do but also a wasted £630 on the one I have.

Soldato
OP
that's a crappy one. tell them there's no indication that removal of sticker invalidates warranty (hopefully it didn't say that on the sticker!!) gigabyte card isn't it?
Nah, I’m not trying to ‘get away’ with anything. If the fact is that peeling off that sticker cost me £600, then such is life.

I don’t know for sure if there was a warning on the sticker or not. I’m confident there was not, I’m not an idiot and I’ve put time money and effort into this computer, I wouldn’t deliberately void my warranty, but the fact is I can’t be absolutely sure there was no warning on there.

Yeah, Gigabyte card...

Soldato
OP
A bit of googling suggests that there are no stickers that void warranty, it’s only things like the removal of coolers etc (which I wouldn’t know how to do even if I wanted to!!) that void warranty.

@GIGA-Man , can you possibly confirm whether removal of the sticker from the backplate voids warranty or not?

As I’ve said, I’m not trying to get away with anything and if that sticker cost me £630 then so be it, but I’d like to be absolutely sure before I take it on the chin.

Back
Top Bottom