• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Ryzen 5 3600 Discussion Thread

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Seems like 4.7GHz is unachievable with my chip. Max I can get it up to is 4675MHz. At least I know know the limits of my chip.

Also know that a all core 4.5GHz needs minimum 1.3175v as at 1.3v Cinebench throws out a error message. I will stick with 1.325v for that setting if I ever use it. But I feel 4.4GHz all core at 1.275v is what is best as it runs cooler and does not push the cpu to hard.

Will wait and see how things pan out with the 1usmus custom power plan. Once the dust settles might give it a go and see if it helps. But not sure I feel like using a non amd approved power plan as it could have long term consequences maybe. If it is something that is very good, AMD may incorporate it or something similar in either a bios or chipset driver update in the future.

I think I am done benching for now. Will wait until my RAM replacement arrives. Until then I will use a mixture of stock settings and my 4.2 & 4.4GHz profiles.

Associate
Seems like 4.7GHz is unachievable with my chip. Max I can get it up to is 4675MHz. At least I know know the limits of my chip.

Also know that a all core 4.5GHz needs minimum 1.3175v as at 1.3v Cinebench throws out a error message. I will stick with 1.325v for that setting if I ever use it. But I feel 4.4GHz all core at 1.275v is what is best as it runs cooler and does not push the cpu to hard.

Will wait and see how things pan out with the 1usmus custom power plan. Once the dust settles might give it a go and see if it helps. But not sure I feel like using a non amd approved power plan as it could have long term consequences maybe. If it is something that is very good, AMD may incorporate it or something similar in either a bios or chipset driver update in the future.

I think I am done benching for now. Will wait until my RAM replacement arrives. Until then I will use a mixture of stock settings and my 4.2 & 4.4GHz profiles.

Hey TNA, I take it these all cores OC's are just for fun as lowering voltage like that will hit the single core top end right? have you any optimum configs that retain normal single core performance but boost up the all core a bit? Just dipping my toe into Ryzen overclocking after mincing about with my RAM and troubleshooting other issues for so long

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I updated my RAM freq last night @TNA to the sticker stated on Box (3333mhz), it booted and just need to run couple benches. I will then revisit the Master software and give your CPU settings a go.
Looking forward to your results. Did you recently buy your 3600 and was it retail (unopened box)?

Try 1.275v and 4200MHz on all corer and keep going up 50MHz at a time until Cinebench Or PC crashes. What you can do is click apply and test. If very unstable you will get a reboot. If it passes the test then try Cinebench. Two things happened to me on cinebench, if slightly unstable I get an error message, if no stable at all the pc just restarts.

For example I may pass the test on Ryzen Master but then, get a error message or restart of pc when running cinebench.

Hey TNA, I take it these all cores OC's are just for fun as lowering voltage like that will hit the single core top end right? have you any optimum configs that retain normal single core performance but boost up the all core a bit? Just dipping my toe into Ryzen overclocking after mincing about with my RAM and troubleshooting other issues for so long

Nope, when I apply my all core oc profiles all cores work at that speed just fine. So single core performance will be the same on all cores basically. If the silicon you have does not like to OC much, try splitting speeds by CCX. So say 3.8GHz on CCX 0 and 4.4GHz on CCX1. Obviously failing that you have to just do 1 core which is meant to be the one with a star on it. But I did not bother with that as I think doing it by CCX is better, for my chip anyways. Can go into more detail on why I found overclocking by CCX better than single core if anyone wants later.

Currently my usage pattern is everything on default (which is auto) in bios apart from RAM. So when I boot into windows I am on stock settings. Then if I fancy I either enable my all core 4200Mhz profile which is at 1.175v (much lower temps than running stock and no major spikes in temps) or I pick my 4400MHz profile which is at 1.275v if I want more speed (runs a little warmer naturally but still better than stock).

I always turn my pc off when not using and as Ryzen Master profiles do not get applied when you start windows automatically I end up on stock again. Many times if I have no plan on gaming or doing anything apart from checking mail/browsing etc then I don’t bother opening Ryzen Master to apply a profile and end up using stock which is plenty fast said use case.

I will carry on doing this and keep testing these profiles and see if they stand the test of time. If all good then in some months I will stick the 4.4GHz settings into my BIOS maybe.

Associate
Nope, when I apply my all core oc profiles all cores work at that speed just fine. So single core performance will be the same on all cores basically. If the silicon you have does not like to OC much, try splitting speeds by CCX. So say 3.8GHz on CCX 0 and 4.4GHz on CCX1. Obviously failing that you have to just do 1 core which is meant to be the one with a star on it. But I did not bother with that as I think doing it by CCX is better, for my chip anyways. Can go into more detail on why I found overclocking by CCX better than single core if anyone wants later.

Currently my usage pattern is everything on default (which is auto) in bios apart from RAM. So when I boot into windows I am on stock settings. Then if I fancy I either enable my all core 4200Mhz profile which is at 1.175v (much lower temps than running stock and no major spikes in temps) or I pick my 4400MHz profile which is at 1.275v if I want more speed (runs a little warmer naturally but still better than stock).

I always turn my pc off when not using and as Ryzen Master profiles do not get applied when you start windows automatically I end up on stock again. Many times if I have no plan on gaming or doing anything apart from checking mail/browsing etc then I don’t bother opening Ryzen Master to apply a profile and end up using stock which is plenty fast said use case.

I will carry on doing this and keep testing these profiles and see if they stand the test of time. If all good then in some months I will stick the 4.4GHz settings into my BIOS maybe.

Cheers for info, will have a tinker soon.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Looking forward to your results. Did you recently buy your 3600 and was it retail (unopened box)?

Try 1.275v and 4200MHz on all corer and keep going up 50MHz at a time until Cinebench Or PC crashes. What you can do is click apply and test. If very unstable you will get a reboot. If it passes the test then try Cinebench. Two things happened to me on cinebench, if slightly unstable I get an error message, if no stable at all the pc just restarts.

For example I may pass the test on Ryzen Master but then, get a error message or restart of pc when running cinebench.

I got the retail end of August.

I tried your starting point and it passed the RM test but crashed during the Cinebench test. Will up voltage some and do again.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

1.293v with 4175 all cores. Not great but improved MT score by 196.
Unlucky. But still that is not bad. Are your max temps a bit lower now?

I got mine in late October so trying to see if people who got theirs around the same time or later are getting better clocks or if it is just me getting lucky. What mobo you got?

The only thing I can think of is maybe my mobo gets loadline calibration perfect when on auto, maybe you need to play with yours and see what difference it makes.

Soldato
Unlucky. But still that is not bad. Are your max temps a bit lower now?

I got mine in late October so trying to see if people who got theirs around the same time or later are getting better clocks or if it is just me getting lucky. What mobo you got?

The only thing I can think of is maybe my mobo gets loadline calibration perfect when on auto, maybe you need to play with yours and see what difference it makes.

With less volts its cooler yes, but not sure if it makes too much difference long tasks as the core will get to the high temps eventually. Its an old AIO cooler I had for nearly six years now but does the job. On stock during benches it doesnt go above 68.

Newer chips may be better, or could be just more to do with settings like you say. Interestingly I tried the 'Gaming' profile and that done well too.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
With less volts its cooler yes, but not sure if it makes too much difference long tasks as the core will get to the high temps eventually. Its an old AIO cooler I had for nearly six years now but does the job. On stock during benches it doesnt go above 68.

Newer chips may be better, or could be just more to do with settings like you say. Interestingly I tried the 'Gaming' profile and that done well too.
I am guessing you don’t have a X570? Don’t know of anyone with a 3600 and a X570 to see if it makes any difference at all. I know a lot here says it does not, but it could help a little maybe with regards to overclocking. That’s why I was asking what your mobo is.

Regarding temps, lower voltage definitely means much lower max temps for me. Being on air cooling you see this straight away, on water it takes longer until the liquid gets warm.

I renamed my profiles, never noticed anything different with them.

Soldato
I am guessing you don’t have a X570? Don’t know of anyone with a 3600 and a X570 to see if it makes any difference at all. I know a lot here says it does not, but it could help a little maybe with regards to overclocking. That’s why I was asking what your mobo is.

Regarding temps, lower voltage definitely means much lower max temps for me. Being on air cooling you see this straight away, on water it takes longer until the liquid gets warm.

I have B450 board. Asus TUF. Latest BIOS (not 1.0.0.4). I seen the 0.4 release may be improving the power consumption of the CPU by a third which is a massive notch if intended. Could be a buggy reason though from the testers machine.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
By the way, I am using windows high performance power plan. I never got the ryzen one’s when I installed the chipset drivers that were on gigabytes website. I wonder why they would strip them out?

When AMD releases the next chipset drivers I will use their one and then do some tests to see what the difference is between amd drivers and whatever it is gigabyte are doing with theirs.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
What VRM temps you guys getting? I just had a look and on stock idle mine are 35C. On stock running the latest OCCT stress test for 90 seconds it goes up to 36C and then again doing the same but with my 4.4GHz profile it goes to 37C.

Going to monitor them in a longer game session when I get the change.

Soldato
Asus x570 gaming TUF BIOS showing online but can't download atm:

Version 1403 2019/11/04
TUF GAMING X570-PLUS BIOS 1403
1. Update AM4 combo PI 1.0.0.4 patch B
2. Support Ryzen™ 2000-series APU
* You will not be able to downgrade your BIOS after updating to this BIOS version

Soldato
Is it meant to downclock below 3.5ghz?

Just installed mines on a Asus TUF gaming Wi-Fi x570 and all the cores bounce between 3.5 and 4.1ish ghz. Have updated to version 1205 and installed chipset drivers.

Soldato
Seen mine go to a few hundred MHz on most the cores depending on the workload.

Doesn't drop below 3.5 on mines. Will play around with it a bit tomorrow to see if I can figure out why.

Temps seem fine. Idling at high 20's- early 30's and got to around 60ish on cinebench. That's on a h115i, although haven't tuned fans yet.

Associate
Is it meant to downclock below 3.5ghz?

Just installed mines on a Asus TUF gaming Wi-Fi x570 and all the cores bounce between 3.5 and 4.1ish ghz. Have updated to version 1205 and installed chipset drivers.

My 3600 paired with an Asrock X470 Taichi also doesn't go below 3.5GHz when idling. This is with the latest chipset drivers installed and also using the Ryzen balanced power plan.... but this is according to HWinfo and CPU-Z etc. Ryzen Master shows a totally different story with half the cores sleeping and the others running as low as 250MHz. Sometimes it even shows all cores in sleep mode which is very odd. Not sure I trust the Ryzen Master readings to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom