What car for £1k a month?

Soldato
What's the main point of the car?

You've got a daily covered, and something with some decent power so what is it exactly you're looking for?

Something to show off in? Luxury? More power/speed?

I'm kind of confused as to what gap you're trying to fill.

Personally, i'd be leaning more towards power/fun such as the Atom. 540 bhp/tonne, will make the z4 feel slow and will turn heads. Not the most comfortable though.

New Supra but has less power than the Z4? GTR?

Soldato
if you are buying from a dealer and then plan to move the car on in 6-12 months, then are you are liable to lose a large chunk of cash because of the spread between the purchase cost from the dealer and the private sale later ( or worse dealer trade in / trade bid). for example, that 2017 v12 vantage, I assume the PCP term would be more than 6 or 12 months? what would be the actual cost to get out at 12 months? pretty eye watering I would imagine!

Soldato
Errrrrm hello? How does one obtain such a deal. Sign me up.

Quickly befriend someone who works for AML, ask them to marry you then ask nicely for their Aston Martin Privilege discount :p

Representative example I saw was 13 months, £900 initial, 11 payments of 800, optional final payment £96,955.6 8K miles pa. Only available in the UK.

OcUK Staff
I wouldn't go for Aston Martin. Seems to be the FIAT of expensive brands when comes down to problems.
The best investment, or at least less depreciation would be an electric car.
i8, Tesla...
Or a totally different car,like a Mustang V8. Too bad the Hellcat isn't available here.

Electric cars have no soul, are boring to drive and I can see them depreciating lots, those who purchased early Tesla's the values have halfed, really not a good buy for someone who wants a car to hold value. Hence a limited production or old premium marque is a better idea, also far more special and a lot more fun and engaging to drive.

New Mustang's also depreciate rather bad, they are no longer 33k for a brand new V8, but now 45-50k and a year later they've lost £10,000, some as much as £15,000, really not a good buy again.

OcUK Staff
Quickly befriend someone who works for AML, ask them to marry you then ask nicely for their Aston Martin Privilege discount :p

Representative example I saw was 13 months, £900 initial, 11 payments of 800, optional final payment £96,955.6 8K miles pa. Only available in the UK.

Its a good offer if you can just hand it back a year later with zero exit fee. But there again £9700 is still quite a lot to hire an Aston Martin for a year, but at the same time you get to drive around in a truly epic V12 Vantage for a year with no expense accept for fuel, insurance and maybe one service.

Soldato
I have had The z4 iS. It’s an okay car but nothing that special.

Sell the z4. Get a 991.2 GTS it will Have rocksolid residuals and you probably won’t get bored in six months.

Soldato
I have had The z4 iS. It’s an okay car but nothing that special.

Sell the z4. Get a 991.2 GTS it will Have rocksolid residuals and you probably won’t get bored in six months.

The older 6cyl, NA Caymans are almost guaranteed to go up in value in future :D

I'm temped by one but the bore scoring issue scares me lol

Soldato
Hey everyone,

So to expand on the title, I am currently in the market for a third car, I already have a japanese daily, and a Z4 35is @ 420bhp for the weekends.

I am looking for a third car to add in to the rotation. This is a car that I will likely change every 6 to 12 months to try something new, I would like it to be leaning to the exotic side if possible, preferably something from a main dealer with warranty.

Budget: £1000 a month or less, Deposit: £5K, but can go up for the right car.
Seats: 2 Seats
MPG: Anything is fine
Power: Above 400bhp
Value: Preferably something that will not lose value like a stone, but is also sellable / relatively in demand.

I do really like the V12 Vantage, I can see ones from a main dealer, IE a 2017 with only 5k miles for £995 per month with £10k deposit on a PCP @ 4%. The thing that concerns me is, moving it on after I get bored, from watching the vantage market for a while it appears slow to shift cars.

All input appreciated!

Thanks

From what I have heard from online and also personally from mechanics and sales executives, it will be incredibly tough to buy a car now that has a big engine and won't suffer from much depreciation. The only cars I can think of that would hold it's value and have main dealer warranty would be a Ford Mustang (used) 5 litre and manual, if you can get one for around £30k you shouldn't loose too much.

Other suggestions:

Jaguar F Type R- You will lose a lot, I know of a dealer that had one for sale at a good price and it didn't shift for nearly a year...
R8 V10- Prices are still dropping, looks like you can already pick up a V10 Plus for £75k, older generation may be a safer bet (manual)
AMG GT- Don't really know much about these
Cayman GT4- Prices have softened a bit, not sure if you'll be able to get a decent finance deal on it, only bad thing I have heard is the long gearing
991.1 GTS- They still have the 6 cylinder, can see them holding value quite well

As you can see it depends what you want, a mid-engined track focused car that's quite raw or a Front-engined GT car? Once you narrow that down I think the choices will become a lot clearer

Soldato
Sell the Z4. Get a Cayman 981 S Manual or GTS. Though prices are still falling slowly I can see these holding their prices well. The 991 GTS is another great shout but again prices are tumbling as with more or less the whole supercar market at present.

Back
Top Bottom