Windows 10......Making the move.....Advice please

Associate
Hi folks, been out the loop for a long time and recently like some people still on Windows 7 had a reminder from Microsoft that they won't be supporting the OS after January 2020 :(

I want to keep this old system with Windows 7. How would I be best going about this as I keep hearing its free and then see its not. I dont want to purchase the OS off some dodgy site. Also dont want anyone getting into trouble linking other sites and prices, just how you would go about it purchasing Windows 10. I might be old school, but I prefer the disks and license, would USB stick and license be the norm now?

Soldato
I have not tired this but you could download windows 10 and run the installer once it’s downloaded and it should then upgrade to w10.

If you search google for windows 10 creation tool it will take you to the site and you can create a Bootable Usb stick or download the iso file.

Once installed you can then do a clean install of w10 rather than a in place upgrade but make sure it’s activated first.

I take it your windows 7 is oem? (Came on a pre built system and not retail)

Associate
Windows 10 can be had for not a lot of £££s - well the key can be - the OS itself is a simple download from MS.

Speaking of windows 7 upgrades, i have nearly 200 of them to do at my work soon before the end of the support period... well the lads will have to do them... i aint lol.

Soldato
plenty keys to be purchased from volume sellers with not a lot of money. if you want to upgrade from W7 be sure to buy a key that is upgrade otherwise you will need to wipe and install W10 fresh

Capodecina
Soldato
You can still "upgrade" a Windows 7 system to Windows 10 - free, gratis and for nothing - download the Windows 10 installation media from https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

I have in the past few weeks done this on two systems. For what it is worth, in both cases I ran the upgrade on Windows 7 system disks; in one case on a copy of a pre-existing system, in the other case on a fresh Windows 7 installation. I have not tried a clean install of Windows 10 using the Windows 7 key but there are suggestions that it will work.

One caveat is that if you have an "old" configuration you may well find that it is slower on Windows 10 than it was on Windows 7 - you need to spend time getting rid of all the junk that Microsoft dumps onto your system - this is a harder job than the upgrade :(

Soldato
I have not tried a clean install of Windows 10 using the Windows 7 key but there are suggestions that it will work.

I've done quite a few like this recently and it's worked every time, just skip the part in the installer where it asks for a key and enter it in the actual OS when it's installed.

Soldato
I have windows 7 professional now. If i update to windows 10 using the in place upgrade free method, will this update to windows 10 professional?
Also, can updates be turned off/postponed on windows 10? Ive ran no updates at all on windows 7 for at least 4 years and had no problems at all

Associate
I'm thinking the same, upgrade (NOT CLEAN INSTALL) my current Win7 pro to avoid re-installing a heap of software, game saves etc.

I have heard Win10 can be slower and has more privacy issues. What are the advantages if any ? (other than lack of win7 drivers for new devices). Any upgrades failed ??

Soldato
I have done this a couple of weeks ago on and it works fine.

Just to be clear, I've got a small ssd with windows 7 retail too full to do anything.

I want a new 1tb SSd with fresh windows 10. i could install windows 10, using the "Windows 10 installation media" upgrade tool, but just use my windows 7 key?

I guess if it fail, I can just buy a new windows 10 oem license key?

Associate
Just to be clear, I've got a small ssd with windows 7 retail too full to do anything.

I want a new 1tb SSd with fresh windows 10. i could install windows 10, using the "Windows 10 installation media" upgrade tool, but just use my windows 7 key?

Yes I did exactly that.

I upgraded the ssd in my nuc and did a fresh install of windows 10, popped in my Win7 retail key that’s nearly 10 years old during the install. Then signed in with my Microsoft account and it was converted to a digital licence.

Back
Top Bottom