Why the hell are crossbows legal in the UK?

Soldato
I bet more people get stabbed in London than shot with crossbow in all of Europe, possibly the world. They haven't been a weapon of choice since guns were invented.

I've bought air rifles that are much more powerful than 200lbs,i actually have one in my spare room that's equipt with a military grade 8x32 illuminated scope... I didn't need a license or even ID for that.

You should really do your research if you are going to spit your dummy out. Any air rifle over 12 ft lbs is classed as a firearm so no you don’t have a 200 ft lb air rifle that you bought with no ID or licence.

Soldato
I bet more people get stabbed in London than shot with crossbow in all of Europe, possibly the world. They haven't been a weapon of choice since guns were invented.

Back in the day it was cutting edge stuff to have a projectile weapon the size of a guitar that an untrained peasant could use.

Projectile weapons for untrained peasants have moved on a bit though.

Caporegime
what people dont generally understand is arrows , bolts with the right heads will kill you quicker than a bullet. so yeah they dangerous.

Soldato
what people dont generally understand is arrows , bolts with the right heads will kill you quicker than a bullet. so yeah they dangerous.

You tend to get less "clean" kills with arrows unless you hit the right spot, which is why bow hunting is illigal in most places.

Also unlike bullets, arrows will stick in bone. An arrow from a compound bow is capable of passing right through someone and keep going :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
is it illegal to kill rabbits with a bow then? can't see it happening much but would it be illegal for a farmer killing rabbits on his own land with a bow?

Soldato
Which is funny since by sheer power they are more than capable (and have been for thousands of years).

Best not to make too much fuss about it or someone will get round to butchering the bow market by forcing licencing.

I'd say the only reason they get under the radar is how garbage they are for serious criminal activity so there actually isn't a meaningful link between bows and violence (in this age anyway).

Soldato
I have armour piercing bodkin heads on my arrows, just in case (zombies etc) and it is much easier to string the bow kept above my bed than get the musket out of its box.
I'd love a crossbow.

Soldato
Concealability is also part of it. You can't really conceal a bow but you can fit a handgun in your pocket and have it ready to fire.

Soldato
Always wondered this myself. You can even get tips for the arrows that are like 4 stanley knife blades :eek:. I very much doubt someone would survive getting hit with one of them tips from a powerful crossbow.

All it'll take is one incident that gets a lot of news coverage and these will be banned.

Associate
I think that's because they're cool. :D
But considering the rise on knife crimes, and the lack of serious punishment for the offenders, owning a crossbow isn't a bad idea.
Just hope it don't become the advice when the next person asks help with a neighbour or a cat crapping his garden, serious. :eek:

Soldato
But considering the rise on knife crimes, and the lack of serious punishment for the offenders, owning a crossbow isn't a bad idea.

And this is how MrPotato got arrested for walking around a city centre with an offensive weapon, specifically, a crossbow. An easy task considering you could see him carrying a crossbow from a mile off.

Lets not attempt to go full american by saying that if everyone is armed with lethal force we'll all be safer.

Back
Top Bottom