Linux partitions advice

Soldato
After a bit of advice for a Linux (Ubuntu) partitioning newbie. Recently bought myself a server for home use, just as a playground for VM's, Docker, general devsecops stuff like kubernetes, Jenkins etc.

Anyway server came with a 1TB HDD I also had lying around a 60GB SSD and another 1.5TB HDD. Currently I have 16GB RAM but eventually intend to use all slots and get it up to 64GB so I can run plenty of VM's if I so require.

Anyway being a bit of newb to partitioning (always just gone with defaults in the past), currently I've just got the following setup

60GB SSD
- Single ext4 physical parition mounted to '/'
1TB HDD
- 128GB Swap space at start of device
- Rest logical partition mounted to /home
1.5TB HDD
- All mounted so /usr

Just interested to see what others have configured.

Soldato
Erm, I really wouldn't have gone with that layout.

Frankly 60gb is fine for the OS, personally I'd have split /boot with /root but you don't have to.

Do you really need a 1TB /home ?
You do not need a 1.5TB /usr under any circumstances. I'd have probably have split it using LVM between /var/lib/docker (if you want to play with docker) and something like /vm to put VMs into if you are wanting to run VMs rather than just containers.

Soldato
Weird partitioning that @PaulStat, each to there own :D

Personally,

1 Tb NVME
200mb boot
60 GB /
4 GB Swap
the rest is /home

1tb 850 ssd mounted /home/%user/Games

I did have a 512 ssd mounted as Videos but that gave up the ghost :( so i bought a 970 evo to put in to raid the two NVME drives, not got round to it yet :D

Back
Top Bottom