Radio Stations Without Adverts - Please Enlighten Me

Associate
I love the radio but most of the time i tend to stick to radio 2 because all the rest play adverts, i have to admit that adverts are a bit of a pet hate of mine but i try to switch off to them. Is there any online radio stations that dont have adverts? I have researched this a bit but i have not found what im looking for.

Wouldn't it be wonderful is someone invented a device for you tv channels that played some of your personal music when the adverts were on, then resumed when the program commenced.

Commissario
The chances are the only stations that wouldn't have some form of advertising would be subscription based.

From memory there are a couple of satellite based companies in the US that use that model, other than that it's something like BBC radio where it's funded from a general tax.

Associate
OP
The chances are the only stations that wouldn't have some form of advertising would be subscription based.

From memory there are a couple of satellite based companies in the US that use that model, other than that it's something like BBC radio where it's funded from a general tax.

I would not mind paying a fee for something decent and advert free, i was hoping in this day and age there would be some advert free stations. I did find one called 'chill' but its much the same kind of music constantly.

I believe absolute radio has a no advert subscription with access to all its stations.

I like absolute radio but on their site it says

Absolute Radio account holders hear 50% fewer ads. Register for free to hear more music where the ads are.

Associate
Team Rock Radio.
No ads, no subscription and now no DJ's.
Used to be good until they found out they couldn't afford to pay the DJ's and got rid of them all. Now they might as well be playing an iPod on shuffle..

Associate
OP
Team Rock Radio.
No ads, no subscription and now no DJ's.
Used to be good until they found out they couldn't afford to pay the DJ's and got rid of them all. Now they might as well be playing an iPod on shuffle..

Cheer mate i have added this station as a favourite. The first song i heard was a bit too heavy, hopefully they play some milder rock , many thanks. ;)

6 music...

Cheers mate, ill give it a listen.

Soldato
You can set up your own online radio station if you want as long as you get the correct music licenses :). They are surprisingly cheap as well.

Of course that ignores the fact that running a radio station can be pretty hard work but if you want a radio station without adverts then start one yourself :D.

Associate
Radioparadise.com is my go to, you can sign-in and rate your faves, then play this as a playlist.

They have an app for ios and android that does caching so when in a mobile notspot it works :)

This app can cast to tv's using chromecast

Soldato
I can't stand adverts on radio either. With TV, sound goes on mute and I muck about on my tablet for a few mins, but I can see when the programme I'm watching comes back on. Not so easy to do that with advert funded radio stations.... They also stand out more as well, because more is being said, as there are no visuals to get what is being sold across to the consumer.

As probably as already has been said; BBC stations aside, I don't think you'd find traditional stations unless they are subscription based. Otherwise, they would not get funding.

Associate
Shoutcast is normally a good recommendation. Hailing from Winamp days. There are loads of stations, both with and without dj's. Go there and have a look about.

Associate
OP
Guys thanks for the updates on this thread.

I would not mind subscribing if it meant no adverts. BBC2 has gone downhill in my opinion since the introduction of Sarah Cox and Zoe Ball, they are not funny and they irritate me a lot. I now use the BBC sounds app a lot as it lets you use the radio shows you like on a 'catchup' type service, worth checking out if you dont have it already.

Do any of the music subscripption services have any radio station type things, from what i seen on Spotift its just full of playlists premade and not a selection of songs being played by a dj. I find the playlists are also full of rubbish songs too. Also i dont want to listen to the same playlist over and over again.

I will try Radioparadise and Shoutcast.

Associate
OP
On a side note i recently turned 50 , im off every week mon to thurs, I like to put Jeremy Vine Chan 5 on in the morning, daytime tv adverts are soul destroying and make me feel depressed and like my life is over. I never thought i would feel this way but all these over 50s life cover and funeral cover are not good for someone with mental health issues. I mute the sound when i can but it still get right on my nipple ends.

Associate
OP
If you like your rock/metal, Primordial Radio is a good bet. Subscription but no adverts. Run by the ex Team Rock/Rock Radio DJ's.

30 day free trial:

https://primordialradio.com/

Thanks for the link, i really like rock and heavy rock, indie and alternative. I do enjoy RadioX but they are advert run as well so an alternative would be great. Ill use the trial and see what i think cheers ;)

I liked Radio 6 until I realised that there's about 5 songs that they'll play about 10 times a day.

Yeah radio2 do that too, they choose a particular earworm type tune thats currently in the charts and they repeat in a few of the different shows. Its like the shows producers think we want to listen to that rubbish. I want radio 2 to not play ditty chart crap.

Soldato
Spotify allows you to go to any Artist/Album/Song and will curate a Radio playlist for you with similar songs to whatever you've chosen. They're usually pretty varied.

They also create weekly "Made for you" playlists based on your taste in music and show new releases. It's well worth checking out. Plus if you hear a song you don't like you can tick a "dislike" button to avoid more music like that.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Radio 6 is bad between 0500 & 1900, 6 music gets really good after Steve Lamaq goes home (condescending **** that he is) Marc Riley`s show is very good for real music by normal people and then it all goes down hill at 0500 when the king of hospital radio starts Chris Hawkins, a DJ so bad he makes cancer go into remission. He is perfect to replace Steve Wright as the worst of the worst. Oh and having the news rammed down my ears every 30mins drives up the wall. Radio one is for knife crime fans, Radio 2 pathetic beyond belief only saved by Ken Bruce and Lisa Tarbuk.

So its just Spotify for me and user generated playlists.

Soldato
On a side note i recently turned 50 , im off every week mon to thurs, I like to put Jeremy Vine Chan 5 on in the morning, daytime tv adverts are soul destroying and make me feel depressed and like my life is over. I never thought i would feel this way but all these over 50s life cover and funeral cover are not good for someone with mental health issues. I mute the sound when i can but it still get right on my nipple ends.

Jeremy vine alone is enough to get people down let alone adverts :p

He's like a professional troll, just putting stuff out there to get people riled up. Sometimes funny in the car but his ch5 show is just awful.

Back
Top Bottom