• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrading 4790K to 9700K worth it?

Associate
You should overclock that 4790K. If you are currently on a stock cooler, you could invest in a good aftermarket cooler and wait until 2020 for a platform upgrade.

Associate
A good bin of a 9700k with run 5.2ghz all core with a 360 aio but there’s no guarantee of that. For gaming, it’ll smoke a stock 9900k when overclocked.

Both the 3700x and the 9700k will last though the next console generation without much issue.

Permabanned
Yeah that is probably the best option. Still it's the urge to get new stuff, and have the fun of building in a new case, and then have significantly better minimum fps in games. The difference will probably not be huge in many games while in others it can be more.
Like this example here:

The 9700K and 3700X have a 30 and 40 fps increase for the minimum fps.

Regarding the stuttering in Battlefield V with DX12 I was experiencing, It got better in DX11. Not sure what's causing it, could it be just because I'm using DDR3 and the cpu is older?
Haha I'm just arguing to convince myself that it will be worth it, but It's good to get replies, I'll try to give it more time to think about it. Overclocking will help for sure.

This is an old result. AMD has since released multiple BIOS updates, chipset updates and Microsoft has released Windows updates that dramatically improved those wrong numbers.

Overclocking will not help you - you need more hardware threads.

Soldato
This is an old result. AMD has since released multiple BIOS updates, chipset updates and Microsoft has released Windows updates that dramatically improved those wrong numbers.

I don't think he does you know, the 4790k is still capable and the issues in games can be reduced by overclocking. My 4790k isn't struggling in the slightest at 4.7ghz so I'd imagine he'd get some pretty good results from it.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

Lol. You take issue with people posting old results from a few months ago, yet love to use a years old slides that are even more out of date and invalid to support your arguments constantly. Too funny. No consistency at all, just LoadsaBias which leads to LoadsaRubbish :p:D;)

No class like @LoadsaMoney :p

Permabanned
The option for upgrading your CPU while keeping your board/Windows 10, etc untouched is a very decent reason to prefer the AMD platform.

Recently, I upgraded a notebook's Pentium B960 that is 2-core/2-thread up to a Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM Processor 4-core/8-thread, that fits in the same G2 socket, only with a small board chipset replacement.
Now, the "old" notebook has suddenly become something very modern.

You can do the same with Ryzen.
Get a 3700X now, and replace it in the future with something double the performance fitting in the same socket.
So, why not and why ignore, and why stick to the dead end i7-9700K? :confused:

Associate
OP
Do you know of any good guides for overclocking, I've tried before, reading and testing but have so far always ended up with an instant blue screen when booting, or extreme temperatures. I've also tried the automatic OC both in BIOS and some ASUS software.
It just seems like it's more trouble than it's worth, with hours and hours of testing. Oh the PC crashed after ten hours? Well let's just up the voltage and try for another 24 hours. I feel like I don't have the patience for it.
Only to gain a very small boost. Maybe I'm wrong, I just don't really know where to start as I've given up before.

Soldato
Do you know of any good guides for overclocking, I've tried before, reading and testing but have so far always ended up with an instant blue screen when booting, or extreme temperatures. I've also tried the automatic OC both in BIOS and some ASUS software.
It just seems like it's more trouble than it's worth, with hours and hours of testing. Oh the PC crashed after ten hours? Well let's just up the voltage and try for another 24 hours. I feel like I don't have the patience for it.
Only to gain a very small boost. Maybe I'm wrong, I just don't really know where to start as I've given up before.

You don't need hours and hours of testing. If you can game and it's stable, that's enough. These are the settings I used:

• Multi to x45
  • Load Line Calibration = high
  • CPU voltage in offset mode = +0.020v in offset
  • CPU current capability 120%
  • Phase control extreme
  • VTT at 1 notch over the standard

Associate
Hi, I'm tempted to upgrade my 4790K to a 9700K. I recently got a 2070 Super, and everything is running fairly well, except that in some games I feel that the cpu is holding me back when I'm dropping below 50 fps or experiencing stuttering. A new cpu would have course bring those minimum numbers up in more cpu demanding games. After all mine is more than 5 years old.

I don't really HAVE TO upgrade, but it could always run better and I really feel like building a PC again, it's been many years. And for the past 10 years I've had the same chassi.

I'd have to get a CPU, motherboard, Ram and a case. Everything else is fine. Will also sell my old stuff of course.

It's just a question of whether it's worth it going from a 4790K (running at stock) to a 9700K? I'm mostly gaming, and I'm doing it on 1440P 144hz. Will the 9700 perform the same as a 9700K (stock)?
I mean, I know it really isn't worth it, it's going to cost quite much. It's more for the fun of building a PC and upgrading...
I was just looking for your opinions on this, is it a better choice to wait? Are there new Intel cpus coming soon? Do you think AMD is the better choice and so on?
I didn't really like AMD back when I had it and for some reason since I went to intel I've been sort of anti-AMD.

I sort of have my mind set on purchasing this now, I've got the money to spend and I'm tempted. The reason why I'm making threads like this is for you to maybe talk some sense in me. Maybe It's a complete waste of money etc. I'm known to make rushed decisions and regret it later... :)
If you are gaming only a little bit of internet browsing like what most people do get a 9700k its better in games than all the new amd processors don't listen to the amd fanboys.

Permabanned
If you are gaming only a little bit of internet browsing like what most people do get a 9700k its better in games than all the new amd processors don't listen to the amd fanboys.

There is a new intel lineup going to be released in one-two months. i7-9700 will be bad by next year.

TrM

TrM

Associate

so people who recommend a better cpu is now a amd fanboy? Sorry but the post you linked he plays at 1440p and on a 2070 super a 9700k is no better then a 3700x at there chosen gcard and monitor Rez. 9700k whilst not a bad cpu by any means it’s still a very good cpu. But amd ryzen 7 make much more sense overall and if the facts state the same how can I be a amd fan boy ?

Associate
so people who recommend a better cpu is now a amd fanboy? Sorry but the post you linked he plays at 1440p and on a 2070 super a 9700k is no better then a 3700x at there chosen gcard and monitor Rez. 9700k whilst not a bad cpu by any means it’s still a very good cpu. But amd ryzen 7 make much more sense overall and if the facts state the same how can I be a amd fan boy ?
what sense does it make he is a gamer and he wants the best cpu for gaming which is still Intel.

TrM

TrM

Associate
what sense does it make he is a gamer and he wants the best cpu for gaming which is still Intel.

not with a 2070 at 1440p it’s not though! Very little difference between the 2 move down to 1080p with my 2080ti and I’ll recommend a 9700and 9900k

just becouse the mighty 9700k and 9900k paired with a 1K 2080ti at 1080p gives the best performance which it does!

pair any other gpu with a 9700k or 9900k at 1440p which is the stuff they stated and 9700k isn’t the best gaming cpu anymore becouse other factors limit the performance.

These are the facts but we have no idea what the future holds between intels security flaw patches and intel 10 series being around the corner with a new socket could pull so much more performance as a result. Or amd could have some major security flaws found and gets hit hard older performance.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
As I have said in another thread, got to be mad to be even considering a Intel CPU when they are riddled with so many security issues.

There is a reason people recommend ryzen 3000 series and why it sells a lot. It has nothing to do with being a fanboy, well maybe for some.

Soldato

If EVERYBODY had taken your advice and bought an Intel processor, they would still have full monopoly with 4 cores. That's Intels dream and they must be gutted that they couldn't continue selling those 4 core i7 processors. Do you want progress to stop again? I dont know why anybody would support and promote that.

Associate
A good bin of a 9700k with run 5.2ghz all core with a 360 aio

Better yet, I cooled mine with 240 AIO with room to spare.

With that being said I sold mine 9700k, mostly because of the 8 threads, there's games that will cause the 0.1% lows to dip really low causing micro stutters. Not all mind you, but Red Dead is on the list, Farcry I think as well and few others.

It will give you great frames though and at the current going rate (~310) it's a great chip. If you purely game you will be far more satisfied with it than reading comments here would lead you to believe. In many instances it will outperform even 9900k.

But even I would suggest just getting Ryzen at this point.

Associate
Better yet, I cooled mine with 240 AIO with room to spare.

With that being said I sold mine 9700k, mostly because of the 8 threads, there's games that will cause the 0.1% lows to dip really low causing micro stutters. Not all mind you, but Red Dead is on the list, Farcry I think as well and few others.

It will give you great frames though and at the current going rate (~310) it's a great chip. If you purely game you will be far more satisfied with it than reading comments here would lead you to believe. In many instances it will outperform even 9900k.

But even I would suggest just getting Ryzen at this point.

The read dead issue was purely an engine bug where you had have to very specific scenario is which you had 8 thread AND very high FPS. This was or is being fixed by rockstar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pRTweQp2uw&t=1498s That goes through the issue and shows the problem as repeatable.

Back
Top Bottom