Terminator: Dark Fate

Soldato
unlike Arnold who can't resist making comedic quips or expressions.

That very first intro scene where Arnie is going into the biker bar just like T2 is where they lost me with T3 as first I thought "why are they doing that again" then the "surprise" of it being a gay bars Biker night and the Terminator putting on Elton John sunglasses just felt massively tonally wrong for a Terminator film, and that start with that similar type of humour through-out the film ruined it for me, even if I think the ending was fantastic.

Soldato
I also like the fact that the HKs actually looked like prototypes. there's an ongoing problem w/ prequel stuff like Star Wars etc that you go to an earlier timeline and the spaceships etc are bigger/better than the ones in the later timeline.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
That very first intro scene where Arnie is going into the biker bar just like T2 is where they lost me with T3 as first I thought "why are they doing that again" then the "surprise" of it being a gay bars Biker night and the Terminator putting on Elton John sunglasses just felt massively tonally wrong for a Terminator film, and that start with that similar type of humour through-out the film ruined it for me, even if I think the ending was fantastic.
Yep. Hated all that. Not fitting of a Terminator movie. If we want to watch that kind of stuff there are plenty of movies that fit the bill. Just stick with what made the franchise great and improve on that.

Caporegime
OP
Dark fate has to make in the region of $450 million to be in profit, its sitting at $127 million currently. Don't see it getting that much back, maybe $200-$250 million tops.

Caporegime
OP
People are saying it's going to make a $100-130 million loss.

Yeah that's the usual hollywood gimmick, budget times 2 for some reason to break even. I find it hard to believe 200 million was spent on advertising, it seemed to mainly consist of variations of the trailer.

Soldato
You also need to account for the cinemas taking a cut and other expenses, although marketing is a huge part of it.

I'm not surprised this movie bombed to be honest, I found it to be extremely disappointing.

Caporegime
OP
Was a pretty good movie i thought, i don't think Tim Millers misogynist comments a few months back helped things. I thought the rev-9 brought something new to the party and the way they had him speak was more fitting of an infiltration unit vs past terminators that always seemed "off".

All in all though it was another modern day Terminator movie when a future based movie would have been more than preferable. Had they based this around the flashbacks from t1-t2 it would likely have made a killing at the box office as people have been waiting for that movie for years, and continue to do so.

I think for the time being at least this will be the last one made, maybe when Cameron is done pumping out Avatar sequels he can have a fresh look at Terminator.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Ok so watched it at Leicester Square on Saturday night. It was 25% good and 75% meh. Nothing was bad about it per se, but I left feeling disappointed overall.

There was nothing wrong with the actors themselves, but I do think the casting was not ideal. Just look back at the T1000 from T2 and he was a lot more menacing than this new terminator. The Mexican girl did not look like some leader of the future either.

Some of the scenes dragged on unnecessarily and got a bit boring. The intro was a bit boring apart from the bits with the fights and the arrivals of the terminator/aug. It just did not do a good enough build up and I did not care what happened to the mexican girl that was meant to be protected.

There were a few cheesy scenes also, the one that comes to mind is when she is doing shooting practice and Sarah gets her to miraculously improve.

Could go on, but basically they failed once again to capture what made T1 and T2 so good and now with the poor box office results I wonder where they will go from here? I think they should just shelf the franchise for a decade and then maybe go for something with a CGI Arnie. They are starting to get very good with the CGI and I think in 10 years time they may be able to make one that is near perfect.

Associate
I went to see it yesterday myself aswell, overall pretty much similar opinion to TNA, there are a few elements that bothered me that kind of contradicts the ethos of a Terminator themselves.
If events of T2 changed the events of tomorrow then how can any other future timeline with skynet can possibly send back more Terminator to eliminate John Connor?
If Legion exist in another timeline where Dani is the new "resistance" leader and Grace then theoretically Skynet shouldn't exist in any other future to even send back more?
I know Terminator have "living tissues" but that shouldn't really age for a Terminator if they can last for many many years? Unless I missed something and they have confirmed they can age...
They establish dogs can sense Terminators then why didn't the Dog bark at Arnold in his camp site, I know it was his "family" dog but that contradicts it still.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I went to see it yesterday myself aswell, overall pretty much similar opinion to TNA, there are a few elements that bothered me that kind of contradicts the ethos of a Terminator themselves.
If events of T2 changed the events of tomorrow then how can any other future timeline with skynet can possibly send back more Terminator to eliminate John Connor?
If Legion exist in another timeline where Dani is the new "resistance" leader and Grace then theoretically Skynet shouldn't exist in any other future to even send back more?
I know Terminator have "living tissues" but that shouldn't really age for a Terminator if they can last for many many years? Unless I missed something and they have confirmed they can age...
They establish dogs can sense Terminators then why didn't the Dog bark at Arnold in his camp site, I know it was his "family" dog but that contradicts it still.
My understanding was they sent multiple terminators in T2 timeline and it was not just the t1000. Therefor killing the t1000 was not the end.

There was no Skynet in this movie. They called it legion which is a different ai. End of the day if ai will always go evil in the terminator universe then you cannot stop it from happening as someone will eventually create it, all you can do is delay.

The living tissue thing I agree with, but you need to look past that as it was either that or a full on cgi Arnold. You can tell this movie was more of a cash grab than a labour of love so this was the least of my problems. Same with the dog. In my head I see that as the dog also barked a lot at first and then once it got fed and got cared for it no longer feared it, hence no barking.

Not trying to excuse anything, just that those were the least of the problems this movie had imo.

Associate
My understanding was they sent multiple terminators in T2 timeline and it was not just the t1000. Therefor killing the t1000 was not the end.

There was no Skynet in this movie. They called it legion which is a different ai. End of the day if ai will always go evil in the terminator universe then you cannot stop it from happening as someone will eventually create it, all you can do is delay.

The living tissue thing I agree with, but you need to look past that as it was either that or a full on cgi Arnold. You can tell this movie was more of a cash grab than a labour of love so this was the least of my problems. Same with the dog. In my head I see that as the dog also barked a lot at first and then once it got fed and got cared for it no longer feared it, hence no barking.

Not trying to excuse anything, just that those were the least of the problems this movie had imo.
I get what you're saying but I mean they stopped judgment day in T2 so theoretically there couldn't really be anymore T101 & Skynet in any other future to send back more to go kill John.
Skynet gets replaced with Legion which according to some movie articles they started from scratch with the development process with the leftover arm from at the end of T2, since Skynet was being developed by Miles Dyson from cyberdyne coop.
As established by Sarah Connor unless I heard it wrong, they continued to send back. Why would other futures continue to send back more if the future was changed by the Terminator that was successful to kill John if Skynet doesn't exist anymore.
Unless i'm thinking too deep into this and just accept the fact its time traveling and there will never be a true verdict.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I get what you're saying but I mean they stopped judgment day in T2 so theoretically there couldn't really be anymore T101 & Skynet in any other future to send back more to go kill John.
Skynet gets replaced with Legion which according to some movie articles they started from scratch with the development process with the leftover arm from at the end of T2, since Skynet was being developed by Miles Dyson from cyberdyne coop.
As established by Sarah Connor unless I heard it wrong, they continued to send back. Why would other futures continue to send back more if the future was changed by the Terminator that was successful to kill John if Skynet doesn't exist anymore.
Unless i'm thinking too deep into this and just accept the fact its time traveling and there will never be a true verdict.
Maybe I am the one that heard it wrong anyway, as my understanding was they were sent at the same time as the t-1000. Maybe I forgot and my brain made that up to try and make sense of it. Lol.

I think I see what you mean. Even if sent at the same time if no judgement day which did not happen and no skynet then the t101's sent should not have even existed so as soon as they stopped it they would have vanished.

But the way time travel works and multiple universes and timelines etc is very tricky. If you argue there is only 1 universe and can only be 1 timelines then you are right. But if not and timeliness can be altered, once the t101's arrive, they are already there so even if the future they came from no longer exists, it does not matter. Not sure if you see what I mean. Time travel can be very confusing. Lol.

A bit like in the original two movies. How can John Connor's dad really be from the future aka Kyle Reese? Who was the original dad? There had to be a first time before the future happened, so the dad would have to be someone else and therefor it is not the same kid. Unless that does not matter and the fact he is told who he is as a child becomes a self fulfilling prophesy?

Not much spoilers in there really, maybe someone else wants to join into our debate so we can make sense of it, if that is even possible with time travel :p

Soldato

Maybe I am the one that heard it wrong anyway, as my understanding was they were sent at the same time as the t-1000. Maybe I forgot and my brain made that up to try and make sense of it. Lol.

I think I see what you mean. Even if sent at the same time if no judgement day which did not happen and no skynet then the t101's sent should not have even existed so as soon as they stopped it they would have vanished.

But the way time travel works and multiple universes and timelines etc is very tricky. If you argue there is only 1 universe and can only be 1 timelines then you are right. But if not and timeliness can be altered, once the t101's arrive, they are already there so even if the future they came from no longer exists, it does not matter. Not sure if you see what I mean. Time travel can be very confusing. Lol.

A bit like in the original two movies. How can John Connor's dad really be from the future aka Kyle Reese? Who was the original dad? There had to be a first time before the future happened, so the dad would have to be someone else and therefor it is not the same kid. Unless that does not matter and the fact he is told who he is as a child becomes a self fulfilling prophesy?

Not much spoilers in there really, maybe someone else wants to join into our debate so we can make sense of it, if that is even possible with time travel :p

It's an EndGame style Multiverse where the Terminators aren't going back into their own timeline but Branching into a different Universes Timeline. Thats the only decent way to describe Time Travel through-out a multi-film franchise and still keep "but we stopped it!" whilst also having "We're BACK!!!!" :D

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It's an EndGame style Multiverse where the Terminators aren't going back into their own timeline but Branching into a different Universes Timeline. Thats the only decent way to describe Time Travel through-out a multi-film franchise and still keep "but we stopped it!" whilst also having "We're BACK!!!!" :D
Yeah. Lol.

I would not even mind, but they just can't seem to make a worthy sequel since T2. They keep trying to either be politically correct or some other crap and it gets in the way.

Back
Top Bottom