I’ve been scammed please help

Associate
Looking for some advise for my next step.

I brought my son a second hand car a 12 plate Kia. The ad on auto trader the trader was using a company name ect (since discovered he ceased trading since 2015 on company house)

any got the car week ago and the next day discovered that none of the locks. Lock when you use the fob or manual use the keys but the fob unlocks all the doors? I phoned the seller he said I will arrange a local auto election to come round to sort it. After waiting 3 days to come back to me he failed to do so. I phoned him again he said his mate will come round and sort it again nobody bothered to turn up or no call to update me The receipt for the car he gave me names his company but that Ceased trading in 2015 I’ve got screen shots of all his ads on auto trader and all his text messages also his home address . I take it my only option is a small claims court? How do I inform him that’s my only option if does not get the car fixed.

Caporegime
Those Kias will refuse to lock the doors etc if any of the doors/boot/bonnet aren't closed properly, so its probably something simple like a door sensor (the little rubber booted push button things in the door shuts) test each of them to see if they work by poking them and seeing if the interior light goes on and off.

"I've been scammed" seems a little bit melodramatic to be honest, assuming that the car is fine aside from this fault.

Associate
OP
Those Kias will refuse to lock the doors etc if any of the doors/boot/bonnet aren't closed properly, so its probably something simple like a door sensor (the little rubber booted push button things in the door shuts) test each of them to see if they work by poking them and seeing if the interior light goes on and off.

"I've been scammed" seems a little bit melodramatic to be honest, assuming that the car is fine aside from this fault.

Sorry I’ve tried doing that with the sensors. Regarding the I’ve been scammed sorry if it sounds harsh but the idiot never returns my calls ect

Soldato
Have you told him you now wish to reject the car, based on several failed attempts on his behalf of repairing the car?

Caporegime
Can I do anything
Yes, trading standards etc can help, but, realistically your probably better off just sucking it up, getting it fixed and move on with your life.

Basically he sounds like the type to take your money gladly but no help thereafter, chase him by all means, be a royal pain in the ass, but, I’d guess he’s well versed in avoidance tactics and fobbing annoyed punters off.

Small independent traders can often be like this (I’m not condoning it whatsoever) , for future reference unless it’s a major retailer or at the very least someone with a setup that’s more than a strip of tarmac and a portakabin then frankly your better off buying privately as effectively your often left with the same level of comeback (ie none in reality regardless of your rights) but you’ve paid a premium over private prices.

Associate
I brought my son a second hand car a 12 plate Kia.

You've bought a used 7yr old Kia from a "man on his driveway" and have discovered it has a fault, this is hardly a scam and it doesn't prevent the rest of the car from functioning. Unless you purchased a warranty then chasing the seller is futile, just go and get it fixed and move on with your life. Or if you expect this level of after sale support then pay the difference and buy from a franchised dealer in future.

Associate
OP
You've bought a used 7yr old Kia from a "man on his driveway" and have discovered it has a fault, this is hardly a scam and it doesn't prevent the rest of the car from functioning. Unless you purchased a warranty then chasing the seller is futile, just go and get it fixed and move on with your life. Or if you expect this level of after sale support then pay the difference and buy from a franchised dealer in future.
I got him on dash cam saying it comes with 3 months warranty and also selling another car at the same time as mine

Soldato
Get a diagnosis and repair cost from an authorized dealer. Send the seller the invoice via recorded / signed post, together with a letter stating your intent to pursue the cost should reimbursement not be made within 14 days. Send it on letter headed paper from a solicitor if possible; first 30 mins of advice is usually free.

Associate
OP
Get a diagnosis and repair cost from an authorized dealer. Send the seller the invoice via recorded / signed post, together with a letter stating your intent to pursue the cost should reimbursement not be made within 14 days. Send it on letter headed paper from a solicitor if possible; first 30 mins of advice is usually free.
Thank you Kia said today a diagnosis is £107. So will get a letter drafted today thanks for your help

Soldato
Yes, trading standards etc can help, but, realistically your probably better off just sucking it up, getting it fixed and move on with your life.

Basically he sounds like the type to take your money gladly but no help thereafter, chase him by all means, be a royal pain in the ass, but, I’d guess he’s well versed in avoidance tactics and fobbing annoyed punters off.

Small independent traders can often be like this (I’m not condoning it whatsoever) , for future reference unless it’s a major retailer or at the very least someone with a setup that’s more than a strip of tarmac and a portakabin then frankly your better off buying privately as effectively your often left with the same level of comeback (ie none in reality regardless of your rights) but you’ve paid a premium over private prices.

These are exactly my thoughts too.

You'll spend many precious hours of your life calling, sending letters etc and get very very little out of it. Now, if the engine dropped out of the car, this would obviously be worth it, but for the car not locking? Nah, I'd Google it and try everything you can and take it to a mechanic yourself and see what the problem is. It could be something stupid to do with programming etc that takes 5 minutes to do. As long as it isn't too expensive, i'd chalk it up to experience, leave negative reviews about the guy everywhere you can, and consider it the cost of buying a used car)

When buying from these dodgy 1 man band driveway sellers, you've got to assume you have the same rights as buying from a private seller. The "warranties" they give are hilarious, they aren't worth the paper they're written on (literally they're not, because most are "verbal" warranties - which are worth jack **** - and these dodgy car salesmen get very shirty/evasive when asked to put the warranty into writing...).

Back
Top Bottom