Amazon Echo - anyone have one?

Soldato
My kids have both got an echo dot. There favourite is "Alexa, fart".

Also when one of my sons had a laptop that I had under his bed (he kept breaking the arrow keys mashing them in Fortnite so I bought a keyboard/mouse/monitor) so could use it a bit like a desktop I setup Alexa for Wake On Lan so he just had to say "Alexa Turn On Laptop" and it turned his laptop on. Bit of a faff to setup the app etc but worked like a charm.

Soldato
Sounds like it's switched accounts @LOAM :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201628040

Get your dad to say "Alexa, switch accounts" and see what happens.

He done that tonight and it's confirmed it's using his profile.

To clarify
I have an Amazon prime subscription and my dad has been a "household" member for several years as they benefit from free delivery.

We have two echo's which are both registered to me, which we have had for about a month. My dad has one echo which is registered to him which he's had for about a year.

Until this week the only devices I could see on my Amazon Alexa app were my two devices.

I don't really understand this bit but my dad says that around Wednesday he became aware that his device was giving out the weather report for the city that we live in, not his location. When he checked, the device was showing as being located at my address but still registered to him and he says he corrected this and nothing more

Yesterday our devices were giving weather from my dad's location, when I checked they were set to his address.

I can now see (and edit) my devices and his, and he can see (and edit) his and mine. My two devices are listed as being registered to me, my dad's device is listed as being registered to him.

My dad is receiving dispatch/delivery notifications for our orders as well as us.

If I send an announcement from the app on my phone it is played on all 3 devices one if which is 120 miles away and not registered to me.

I can edit my dad's echo from my Alexa app, including changing and seeing which wifi he is connected to.

My dad doesn't have a prime account, he is part of my accounts "household" so it's not possible for him to have added me to anything.

I'm struggling to understand how announcements are being played on a device that is not registered to me, in a different user account.

Associate
I have the exact same problem with my brothers echos showing up on mine. It looks like it's being treated as the same account as we have both have separate subscriptions to prime unlimited music yet I can't play any music if he is playing something.

Soldato
I have the exact same problem with my brothers echos showing up on mine. It looks like it's being treated as the same account as we have both have separate subscriptions to prime unlimited music yet I can't play any music if he is playing something.

Is he in your household or vice versa?

Soldato
@LOAM

Could it be down to Amazon cutting down on people sharing prime at different addresses?

I know Netflix are trying to clamp down on account sharing too?

They don't say it's a requirement for "household" to be in the same location. What would the point of it be anyway if that was the case?

Soldato
Ah, i thought i'd read something in the past about the household to be in the same location. Although i'd argue that the term "household" suggests within the same house and i'm not sure being in 2 separate locations would count as that. Bit like when you take out home insurance and it says "How many people live in your household". You wouldn't include your dad :p

The point would be so it's used by people in the same household rather than me splitting the £80 with a mate living elsewhere.

Same as Netflix etc who are trying to clamp down on account sharing as it ultimately robs them of revenue.

Soldato
To have multiple users at the same address able to log in and use Prime? Or did I miss something?

I get what you're saying but if X already has free delivery to that address then why would Y need it?

Surely if that was the intended scenario it would say so when creating the household. You have to log in as the other member when setting it up, Amazon know where that account is located. I'm not convinced that they have issue with it being different locations.

Soldato
I get what you're saying but if X already has free delivery to that address then why would Y need it?

Surely if that was the intended scenario it would say so when creating the household. You have to log in as the other member when setting it up, Amazon know where that account is located. I'm not convinced that they have issue with it being different locations.

So they can have separate accounts. I have an Amazon account, so does my wife - we use Household to share Prime benefits.

Soldato
Ah, i thought i'd read something in the past about the household to be in the same location. Although i'd argue that the term "household" suggests within the same house and i'm not sure being in 2 separate locations would count as that. Bit like when you take out home insurance and it says "How many people live in your household". You wouldn't include your dad :p

The point would be so it's used by people in the same household rather than me splitting the £80 with a mate living elsewhere.

Same as Netflix etc who are trying to clamp down on account sharing as it ultimately robs them of revenue.

It's not comparable to insurance because it's stipulated you are covering items in that location. Amazon make no reference at all to it being a requirement to be in the same location.

Soldato
You both might be correct though. When adding a person to household it does now say "Invite someone you live with to share benefits". Which is different to how it was 5 years ago.

Soldato
Surprised there isn't a dedicated echo thread in hardware or somesuch forums. Anyway ....
Anyone have a stereo pair setup and managed to get any of the BBC radio stations working in stereo? It seems the BBC are now forcing everything through the BBC sounds skill instead of TuneIn which ignores the stereo pair setup and pumps tunes out of a single speaker.

Annoying!

Soldato
Surprised there isn't a dedicated echo thread in hardware or somesuch forums. Anyway ....
Anyone have a stereo pair setup and managed to get any of the BBC radio stations working in stereo? It seems the BBC are now forcing everything through the BBC sounds skill instead of TuneIn which ignores the stereo pair setup and pumps tunes out of a single speaker.

Annoying!
My daughter has one of the latest pucks, does adding a second help improve the sound much?

As regards your issue with BBC are there not other radio skills to force BBC thru?

Soldato
I find it annoying that you can't seem to play a BBC radio station through a number of echos at the same time, to be in sych with each other.
You can do it with, for example, Virgin radio.
Our lounge and kitchen are close to each other, with an Echo in each, and the BBC radio stations always play out of sync due to not being able to play them as a "group" due to the BBC skill app.

Soldato
My daughter has one of the latest pucks, does adding a second help improve the sound much?

As regards your issue with BBC are there not other radio skills to force BBC thru?
I have the Echo Gen 3 as stereo pair and it sounds pretty good to me. I'm not an audiophile though, so no doubt it's a shocker to proper ears.

No, the BBC decided to prevent access (from the UK only mind) to all of their stations through TuneIN, which worked fine with Echo stereo pairing. As above; BBC Sounds skill does not support the Echo stereo pair feature. What a crock eh. The reason claimed is under the guise of wanting to better understand listening numbers through streaming which was unavailable from TuneIn

Bit of a kicker that anyone outside of the UK can continue to access BBC stations through TuneIn!

Back
Top Bottom