How does this compare?

Associate
Advise if you will...

My current PC setup is:
i5 3570k @ 4.40ghz
8GB DDR3
Asus GTX660ti

How does this compare (gaming wise) to a new Asus FX505 Laptop running Ryzen 3550H, 8GB DDR4, RX560X??

Cheers

Soldato
To be honest I'd stick with what you have and just buy a new graphics card, assuming the power supply is up to it. How much do you have to spend? The laptop has portability on its side but other than that it's more of a side-grade in my opinion.

Soldato
Keep what you have but it would be worth getting a new GPU. Saying that, my brothers 3570k was replaced by a 3770k as it was hitting 100% in COD:MW and causing some major stuttering. I do think that older quad cores are slowly becoming EOL but those with HT, will keep going for some time.

Associate
I do think that older quad cores are slowly becoming EOL
Completely agree with this, my 3570k is at 100% in The Outer Worlds and is really struggling to the point that i have stoped playing it until i can upgrade.

Your best option would be to upgarde your exsisting setup. What is your budget?

Associate
OP
Hey guys, thanks for the replys.
I was either going to sell my PC and get a laptop to the above spec or move my PC behind the TV in the lounge and pick up a lapboard.
Around £500-£550 which includes £150 on a Lapboard, so £400ish?

Edit: I have a CX500M PSU and Gigabyte Z77X-D3H mobo.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey guys, thanks for the replys.
I was either going to sell my PC and get a laptop to the above spec or move my PC behind the TV in the lounge and pick up a lapboard.
Around £500-£550 which includes £150 on a Lapboard, so £400ish?

That's quite tight for a gaming laptop. I got mine 2nd hand from these forums (which you won't have access too yet). What about an itx setup?

Associate
OP
Would I need to go down the ITX route if I can pop my current PC behind my TV unit easy enough? Just spend the money on upgrading my current system?

Soldato
Would I need to go down the ITX route if I can pop my current PC behind my TV unit easy enough? Just spend the money on upgrading my current system?

I don't know about 'popping it behind the TV', but you could use a case that fits in with the "amp" kind of look. HTPC cases are good for this.

If you were looking at spending £550, this might work for you - little over budget though but the case would fit in nicely.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £604.25 (includes shipping: £12.30)​

Associate
OP
To be fair my PC can even sit next to the TV unit when I come to move it. Would that mobo, cpu and gpu upgrade show that much of an improvement to what I have now? If I stuck a 1070 or somthing in there and go down the complete rebuild route in a years time or so be worth doing?

Soldato
Associate
OP
Wow, I didnt think it would be that much of an upgrade. May do that for the time being. 1070 and Corsair lapboard. Bin off the thought of a laptop.

Associate
As far as lapdesks, I can wholeheartedly recommend the COUCHMASTER® Cycon - since OCUK sell the Corsair K63 version, I won't link to it, but it works out £15 cheaper from a well-known rainforest.

I'd tried the Roccat Suva, a basic adjustable lapdesk from the rainforest, a memory foam laptop stand, before giving in and spending the $200 importing the Cycon.
If you already have a decent wired KB&M, then grab it - saves buying another set of peripherals. If you have a wide enough space on the sofa, it's worth every penny (if space is tight, then their smaller lapboard is excellent too).
I use mine with a Ducky TKL KB and Secret mouse - I have a 5m USB3 cable running from the media unit to the sofa, then everything plugs into the Cycon.

Back
Top Bottom