****Star Wars: Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker - Official Thread****

Permabanned
The emperor was always one of my favourite characters in film. I’m interested to see what they do with him, but after seeing the space horses they will probably have him doing cart wheels across the screen or something.

Soldato
and 7 was the "could have been" for the future of Star Wars, but 8 turned up and spoiled 7 too.

Yeap, while I enjoyed some of Ep7 it felt like it needed a good Ep8 to catch-up on all the threads it left dangling and explain things so when Ep8 dropped all of those threads it made Ep7 feel lesser of a film to me too.

but after seeing the space horses they will probably have him doing cart wheels across the screen or something.

I'm wondering if this "cavalry charge" is the new Ep8-style "Leia is Mary Poppins" moment where Ep9 jumps the shark :D

Caporegime
The emperor was always one of my favourite characters in film. I’m interested to see what they do with him, but after seeing the space horses they will probably have him doing cart wheels across the screen or something.

Or he'll flash Rey and she'll be outraged and join the #metoo movement. :eek:

Man of Honour
I don't have a problem with the charge along the star destroyer. It's clearly not in space, and still somewhere with a breathable atmosphere.

Regardless it just feels out of place - it will need some supreme writing to not feel like some idea that might seem amazing in someone's head but doesn't work in reality.

Soldato
I check this thread about once a week to see what's going on. And after Episode 8 I posted quite a number of times about my disappointment.

It just shows the power of Star Wars, particularly for people like myself who grew up with it, that even after 1 disappointing and 1 dreadful recent movies it captures my interest. And even though I doubt I'll see this at the cinema or by the Blu Ray (unless reviews I trust say it's rather ruddy good) I can't shake the interest. I guess that's what $4b buys you if you've the wit to use it.

Soldato
I grew up with starwars originals and I seem to be of a different view. I quite like 7, 8 all be it I wanted to see a powerful Luke fully alive and active

And can't stand episode 1,2,3

Really looking fwd to the last episode. Once they binned Luke off I don't really have any expectations or concerns and I am sure I will enjoy it.

Soldato
I didn't like TFA at all and never saw TLJ but 'm still interested how they tie this up as the story development of this trilogy has been the weakest by far. This movie must make sense of the last two films to save them really.

Soldato
I'm a huge Star Wars fan, but I haven't even bought The Last Jedi yet, such was my disappointment. I'm waiting for it to be a fiver to mark The Rise of Skywalker hitting the cinemas.

Associate
However bad 1-3 were, at least they had a story arc. The current trilogy are just sequences of set pieces with the same people in, to fool us into thinking we're watching the same story. There's just no setup for this finale aside from what they can pull from thin air at the last minute.

I dislike 1-3 greatly, but at least Lucas cared about the characters and cared enough to write a plot, which makes them better than the Disney films IMO. (Not that I'd consider any of them worth another viewing.)

Soldato
However bad 1-3 were, at least they had a story arc. The current trilogy are just sequences of set pieces with the same people in, to fool us into thinking we're watching the same story. There's just no setup for this finale aside from what they can pull from thin air at the last minute.

I dislike 1-3 greatly, but at least Lucas cared about the characters and cared enough to write a plot, which makes them better than the Disney films IMO. (Not that I'd consider any of them worth another viewing.)

This

Permabanned

I mean yeah you're correct, but even a child can thread a narrative together to make it relatively coherent. Those three movies do that and sod all else. AotC is truly one of the worst movies ever made by a modern Hollywood studio imo. How they ever settled on that edit as the final cut I will never quite understand. It's a real lesson on exactly how NOT to edit a movie. The other two aren't that much better tbh.

Associate
I mean yeah you're correct, but even a child can thread a narrative together to make it relatively coherent.

May I present to you; The Last Jedi... :D

Those three movies do that and sod all else. AotC is truly one of the worst movies ever made by a modern Hollywood studio imo. How they ever settled on that edit as the final cut I will never quite understand. It's a real lesson on exactly how NOT to edit a movie. The other two aren't that much better tbh.

Won't disagree with you there, but I will point out that older films not reliant on spectacle and scenary or whatnot, still did well because of a coherent story. Something this trilogy fails in when 8 dropped because it only serviced itself at the expense of everything else. And hence why there's an extra resurgence of people looking on the prequels more favourably.

Permabanned
May I present to you; The Last Jedi... :D

Won't disagree with you there, but I will point out that older films not reliant on spectacle and scenary or whatnot, still did well because of a coherent story. Something this trilogy fails in when 8 dropped because it only serviced itself at the expense of everything else. And hence why there's an extra resurgence of people looking on the prequels more favourably.

Aha I see your points for sure. And I agree with most here, I didn't like TLJ at all really, but at least it felt like an actual film in some respects (when being looked at completely without rose tinted glasses with regards the franchise). The prequel trilogy (barring very specific moments) just feels like a mess of ideas and concepts. Just really inept filmmaking. It's a classic example to me of a creator holding far too many of the cards. I'm all up for creative freedom granted to the right people, but Lucas never exactly extensively proved himself did he?

Back
Top Bottom