• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Caporegime
Is there no second Bios on asus like what's on the Giga boards ?

Doesn't seem like it.

That flash back seems to replace dual BIOS's.

I'm viewing it as it having been a matter of time before my Xonar stopped working compatibility wise, so I'll have to get an external DAC.

The problem is I've just bought a Sony OLED and new Vinyl for the bathroom so I'm skint :p

Caporegime
Welp, I really (genuinely) thought I'd upgrade this gen (back to AMD).

For a variety of reasons I think now I'm going to wait for Ryzen 4000.

1) disappointing Zen 2 clock speeds.
2) lack of mid-range motherboads of the current gen
3) 2500k has not blown up yet (this may well need to happen to force my hand)
4) no time to play games anyhow... or even benchmark :p
5) more expensive than I'd hoped given (1)

I know lots of people will think this is utterly unreasonable, but I can't help but feel a bit underwhelmed with Zen 2.

Soldato
Welp, I really (genuinely) thought I'd upgrade this gen (back to AMD).

For a variety of reasons I think now I'm going to wait for Ryzen 4000.

1) disappointing Zen 2 clock speeds.
2) lack of mid-range motherboads of the current gen
3) 2500k has not blown up yet (this may well need to happen to force my hand)
4) no time to play games anyhow... or even benchmark :p
5) more expensive than I'd hoped given (1)

I know lots of people will think this is utterly unreasonable, but I can't help but feel a bit underwhelmed with Zen 2.

1 the clock speed is actually pretty good for 7nm, doubt 5ghz will be a thing going forward from here even for Intel aswell once they get off the 14nm. Will all be about ipc and core count.
2 unless you want pcie 4 a x470 or b450 will do the job perfectly well.
3 crank that vcore!!!
4 I know the feeling...
5 it's a good time to build a pc especially with ram, nvme and Gpu prices all coming down.

I went with a r5 3600 to hold me over till 4000s come next year then planning on a 8 or 12 core but the 3600 is still an excellent little cpu.

Caporegime
Have you contacted Asus to see if they can help?

Wouldn't bother.
Asus's support is terrible and there's threads on various forums with issues.

The "other" drivers for Xonar stuff is littered with issues about it too.

Asus don't even release new drivers for their Xonar cards or create an X570 section on their forum. Hell the Essence STX II didn't work from day one with the X570 by the looks of it on their boards.

Doubt it'll ever get to a point of a BIOS engineer.

Associate
I'd disagree on the good time to build.

Memory is good, but GPU's suck, way overpriced and low perf for the money. RTX 3K and the upcoming Navi cards should fix that, but that's mid next year at least. CPU's are expensive currently because AMD can get away with it and Intel are still promising 10nm in 2200...

The price reduction in Intel's 10xxx could force an AMD price reduction in the early part of 2020, but that will only be a correction from the bloated prices they had originally and AMD may be able to stick the higher prices out until Zen 3 release, which will see a great 2nd hand Zen 2 market, especially due to the AM4 platform support from the old 1xxx Ryzen's allowing upgrades to the top end 12c and 16c 3xxx Ryzen's.

By the time Zen 4 releases we may see the market volatility drop a bit though it could easily swing the other way too. Exciting times :)

Soldato
I'd disagree on the good time to build.

Memory is good, but GPU's suck, way overpriced and low perf for the money. RTX 3K and the upcoming Navi cards should fix that, but that's mid next year at least. CPU's are expensive currently because AMD can get away with it and Intel are still promising 10nm in 2200...

The price reduction in Intel's 10xxx could force an AMD price reduction in the early part of 2020, but that will only be a correction from the bloated prices they had originally and AMD may be able to stick the higher prices out until Zen 3 release, which will see a great 2nd hand Zen 2 market, especially due to the AM4 platform support from the old 1xxx Ryzen's allowing upgrades to the top end 12c and 16c 3xxx Ryzen's.

By the time Zen 4 releases we may see the market volatility drop a bit though it could easily swing the other way too. Exciting times :)
But Amds prices under cut the Intel equivalent and beat them, unfair to say they are squeezing the market, its the best thing to happen to the cpu market in years, with Intel actually taking the piscuit

Associate
But Amds prices under cut the Intel equivalent and beat them, unfair to say they are squeezing the market, its the best thing to happen to the cpu market in years, with Intel actually taking the piscuit
They do to a point. Willing to bet there's much higher margin's on the AMD products so they are making bank while they can. Something I don't begrudge them as they need a warchest to fight the future.

However Intel will flex the undercut power next year and that will reduce AMD's profits a bit. Not necessarily a bad thing as we'll get the benefits of reduced costs for CPU's and possibly even motherboards too once PCI-E 4.0 solutions become more cost effective.

Permabanned
CPU's are expensive currently because AMD can get away with it and Intel are still promising 10nm in 2200...

intel needs to fix its 10nm yields and 10nm frequencies which are lower because of the high transistor 10nm density.
A good bet is neither would happen.

Soldato
Remember that in a healthy, competitive market, there would probably be no 5 GHz CPUs. The only reason Intel got to those frequencies is because they were stuck on the same node for so long, which wouldn't have happened if they weren't acting as a monopoly. Broadwell, the first CPU to use the 14nm node, had so many issues that it didn't even see a proper mainstream release. Skylake, the second iteration, generally clocked to ~4.7 GHz all cores. Still better than GloFo's 12nm but not 5 GHz. TSMC's 7nm+ will probably be a bit below that too.

Back
Top Bottom