*** Nintendo Switch ***

Soldato
Just finished Link's Awakening tonight after a couple weeks leisurely playing. Did all the dungeons, didn't know how to get the colour dungeon until after finding all 8 instruments... Oops.
Mostly loved it. Looked great, good soundtrack and simple gameplay. Good times.

I don't think I'll be getting all the seashells.

Man of Honour
What’s a good Switch charge cable to use with a powerbank? I’m sure I read some cables can brick the console??

USB cables are fine, it's the power bricks that can cause issues.

I personally use Orzly and Anker cables as I like them to be braided and they come with nice ways to store them with cable ties or pouches.

Soldato

I thought it was due to Nintendo not following the usb c standard correctly or something along those lines.

I've had a search previously and couldn't find anything to confirm this but there was a lot of talk about it after the Switch launched. In particular when a stream of third party alternative/portable docks were released, people had systems get bricked and the blame went to the way the port wasn't handling power correctly.

Happy to be corrected, I've avoided using anything barring the power supply which came with my Switch ever since though.

Man of Honour
I thought it was due to Nintendo not following the usb c standard correctly or something along those lines.

I've had a search previously and couldn't find anything to confirm this but there was a lot of talk about it after the Switch launched. In particular when a stream of third party alternative/portable docks were released, people had systems get bricked and the blame went to the way the port wasn't handling power correctly.

Happy to be corrected, I've avoided using anything barring the power supply which came with my Switch ever since though.

I made a big post about it years ago. USB cables are fine, the power bricks/docks are the problem.

Edit:
You can use any USB port for charging in handheld, from Anker batter packs to ancient USB 1.1 ports. The issue is with how the dock draws it's power without using the official USB-PD standards when in high power mode.

Here is some light reading: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...e_switch_is_not_usbc_compliant_and_overdraws/

In summary: If you're supplying 5V you can use anything, above that only use the Nintendo charger.

Associate
I charge my switch all the time with my phone charger and with anker USB-C cable aswell, had no problems at all. You can't go using it plugged in the dock though as pointed out by Kree.
Probably why a couple of people don't recommend third party docks either as there are reports of them not working with latest Switch firmware and potential riskof bricking the system.
The original charger+ dock only for charging and using the dock to project onto your display only.

Soldato

I personally use Orzly and Anker cables as I like them to be braided and they come with nice ways to store them with cable ties or pouches.

Cheers. So should I be careful with the Powerbank I use?

**ah just seen your Reddit edit**

Associate
When do we think reviews for Pokemon Sword and Shield start going up? My son really wants it, but don't want to order before I see some scores.
Expect an average score of 7-9/10 or B or 70+ metacritics as it is a "main" series Pokemon game and a lot of them generally do well as its all similar mechanic with some added features to keep them fresh.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Picked up Luigi's Mansion 3 and Mario & Sonic at the Olympic 2020. I enjoyed the demo for the latter so I did not even look at the reviews. Hope the rest of the mini games not in the demo are good.

Soldato
When do we think reviews for Pokemon Sword and Shield start going up? My son really wants it, but don't want to order before I see some scores.

tbh pokemon is the one game where u dont need to wait for reviews. we will get what its always been.

i hope for the day they actually add a decent AI and tactics to pokemon with a solid difficulty curve

Back
Top Bottom