What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
The King (Netflix)

A lumbering historical drama, set around the life of Henry V and his victory at Agincourt. Horribly historically inaccurate in rather irritating ways, it borrows from Shakespeare but ends up lacking both the art of William and the weight of history. If you like an inexplicably faded 15th century with Knights, hateable Frenchies, and a famous battle missing its most famous aspect you'll love it. Me, I'm a sucker for anything medieval so it was okay otherwise I think I'd give it much less than...

6/10

Soldato
You were never really here. 2/10

Let's make child abuse and the mental health issues that follow into an artsy fartsy film.

90 mins ill never get back, complete waste of time.

The description :
When a teenage girl goes missing, a jaded, brutal enforcer attempts a rescue mission. He uncovers corruption and abuse of power along his way

Sounds like your normal action film, equaliser style maybe but noooooo. Yawn fest from start to finish. If you do watch it is recommend getting stoned out of your skull, might make more sense.

You're very wrong here in my opinion.

This was a great film.

I think it just wasn't what you were expecting / wanting it to be.

One of my favourite films of recent years.

Soldato
You're very wrong here in my opinion.

This was a great film.

I think it just wasn't what you were expecting / wanting it to be.

One of my favourite films of recent years.

That's the beauty of opinions, we all have different ones.

It's not that I don't like deep films, I just found this completely boring. I've even seen it said that you need to have had mental health issues to really understand this film, well, been there, got the t-shirt and nearly took my own life, but this just did not click with me at all. I've had this with other films, Lost in Translation for instance, just boring to watch.

Soldato
That's the beauty of opinions, we all have different ones.

It's not that I don't like deep films, I just found this completely boring. I've even seen it said that you need to have had mental health issues to really understand this film, well, been there, got the t-shirt and nearly took my own life, but this just did not click with me at all. I've had this with other films, Lost in Translation for instance, just boring to watch.

Well I do agree with you on lost in translation.

I found that film utterly devoid of anything that could possibly make it interesting. In fact I fell asleep near the end and that's pretty rare for me.

It's my brother's all time favourite film though, so go figure :p

Soldato
Dr Sleep - I went in having not read any reviews and with rather low expectations. As a fan of the original, I was interested to see how the story was continued and built upon. Although not on a par with its predecessor, I thought it was a superb film and well worth a watch. 7/10.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Primal.

Somewhere here, buried deep, there's an okay movie. The cast are all good (yes, even Nic Cage ;)) with the notable exception of the young lad who, in fairness, was playing a character with a near-terminal case of the stupids so I can forgive him. The script is mostly fine. The story itself is pretty much boilerplate (it could have been a Steven Seagal film from the '90s!) but it would be entertaining enough had this film been directed by anyone who knew...well...how to direct. Instead, it was directed by a guy whose previous credits revolve mainly around stunt co-ordination.

Oh, and the CGI white jaguar was laughable.

Still, not as bad as The Great Wall.

Last edited:
Soldato
Joker -

The second best film I've seen this year. Not an easy watch, but worth it. I'm still not quite sure what to make of the ending though....

7.5/10

Soldato
Magnus - 7.5 / 10

Documentary following the upbringing and development of Magnus Carlson the Norwegian chess prodigy. Brilliant.

Follow the Money : A Month in the Life of a Ten Dollar Bill - 7 / 10

A documentary from 3 British film makers who mark a ten dollar bill and follow its progress across America for a month. Really good, much better than it sounds! :)

Caporegime
Midway as Son wanted to see it. I quite enjoyed it actually. Emmerich managed to rein in his usual extravagance and the movie was much better for it. A solid 7/10.

Commissario
The Shape of Water. A stunning film in many ways, but especially in terms of cinematography and characterization.
Aye, that is a really well done film and the cinematography was absolutely top notch, Del Toro is pretty much a genius when it comes to getting the "look" for his films, if you've got the Disc watching the extras is well worth the time as you realise how many things you were probably not consciously aware of but picked up on during the film.

Soldato
Joker 9/10

Had low expectations from a DC comic book movie, but this was a really refreshing change. Finally a good DC movie without it being your typical (good vs bad, cgi filled snoozeathon)

Back
Top Bottom