**** The Official Huawei Mate 20/Mate 20 Pro Thread ****

Soldato
Quick heads up, the Mate 20 X deal at Argos for £499 includes the m pen and smart view case still. Comes in a sealed brown outer packing box with the 3 sealed boxes inside.

If they just hand you a phone try another store for the bundle.

Last edited:
Soldato
Received android 10 update yesterday and seems great so far. Too early to tell how battery life is but from a polish point of view it's definitely a step up from android 9.
Updated camera app is a big improvement especially in pro mode.

Associate
Anyone having the mate 20 x 5g version can shed some light on battery usage and if they would recommend it?

Not fussed about 5g as it will take years for 5g to be rolled out where I am but cannot find the 4g anywhere new. 02 has a decent offer for the 5g version if you get one of their o2 refresh products.

Associate
I caved in and got the 5g after all.
Would anyone be able to recommend any tempered glasses for the front and the back camera part and maybe some good cases?

The included case doesn't fill me with confidence and the membrane protection doesn't feel the same as glass.

Soldato
Have a P20pro atm .. battery is getting abit meh now and its comming up for nearly 2 years old.. P30 pro a worthy replacment ? Would love a p40 but dont want to move away from android

Associate
found my mate 20pro in a draw today, such a good phone and I much prefer it to the Samsung note 10 + (camera is totally insufficient for a 900 quid phone ). just a shame on the audio playback, don't think I can return to the one speak output again.

looking at Huawei's P40 line up is there any way of getting contactless payments to work without google services? that's the only thing stopping myself from returning to the Huawei range of phones. I see this being the biggest hurdle for these new phones if Huawei continues to push them in the western market.

found my mate 20pro in a draw today, such a good phone and I much prefer it to the Samsung note 10 + (camera is totally insufficient for a 900 quid phone ). just a shame on the audio playback, don't think I can return to the one speak output again.

looking at Huawei's P40 line up is there any way of getting contactless payments to work without google services? that's the only thing stopping myself from returning to the Huawei range of phones. I see this being the biggest hurdle for these new phones if Huawei continues to push them in the western market.

Barclays uses it's own app for NFC payments so not sure if that will work with the P40, if it does you could change your bank!

Associate
My upgrade has come up and Mate 20 Pro is still going strong. Are the new phones much of an upgrade? Only thing that tempts me is 5G or a better battery, but specs don't seem a massive step forwards.

hux

hux

Soldato
My upgrade has come up and Mate 20 Pro is still going strong. Are the new phones much of an upgrade? Only thing that tempts me is 5G or a better battery, but specs don't seem a massive step forwards.

I've been looking, and honestly there not much out there that interests me.

I might just pop the back off and put in a new battery, I've had a look at performance figures and even the fastest isn't much of an improvement.

Associate
I've been looking, and honestly there not much out there that interests me.

I might just pop the back off and put in a new battery, I've had a look at performance figures and even the fastest isn't much of an improvement.

Looks like a real faff changing the battery, hope you have a heat gun. :)

My battery generally still lasts on most days, unless I've been particularly unfocused at work. Given it's a 4000mah battery it still does well.

Maybe will have to switch to sim only for now then.

hux

hux

Soldato
Well I'm with Lebara as they're on the Vodafone network and 1 Month rolling, for me they're leagues above Three network.

Yeah my battery does pretty well, might as well replace it soon, I'll leave it go for now in case I do it wrong and need to upgrade.

It's not that much of a faff, like you say heat gun the sides, few screws on the board pop off the connectors and that's it.

It's a doddle compared to some phones out there.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm in a similar boat. Mate 20 pro still going strong and out of contract in a few weeks.
Sort of interested in pixel 5 or iPhone 12 but it's more out of desire to have new shinies than the mate 20 pro needing replacement! Has been a great phone and first one in years I've kept for full 24 months

Soldato
I was using the mate 20 Pro until 2 weeks ago, moved to a s20+ snapdragon and have to say i much prefer the s20+, so much faster

One thing I was hoping for is for Huawei to enable the face id of the mate 20 usable for banking etc, but this never came.

Another annoyance was no double tap wake screen and also set the screen lock time out for 1 min when pressing the power button.

Still love the design of the mate the twilight colour is lush, and I will keep it as my backup phone.

I think the s20+ is the best upgrade to the mate 20 Pro if anyone decides they want to upgrade.

Soldato
Just picked one of these up 2nd hand for £170, I have to say I am really impressed. Beautiful phone, I don't think you can pick up anything better for that price tbh.

I sold my pixel 3 and sidestepped to one of these. I was a bit wary as I love the pure Android experience of the Pixel line, but now that I have it in my hands - I love it.

I just have one question at the minute that somebody might have some experience in a past purchase. Can you buy any other wireless chargers that delivers supercharge? Or is supercharge only available on the official Huawei model? (Like the Pixel stand was for Google)

Soldato
Just picked one of these up 2nd hand for £170, I have to say I am really impressed. Beautiful phone, I don't think you can pick up anything better for that price tbh.

I sold my pixel 3 and sidestepped to one of these. I was a bit wary as I love the pure Android experience of the Pixel line, but now that I have it in my hands - I love it.

I just have one question at the minute that somebody might have some experience in a past purchase. Can you buy any other wireless chargers that delivers supercharge? Or is supercharge only available on the official Huawei model? (Like the Pixel stand was for Google)

The specific huawei wireless charger only. Others should 10w

Back
Top Bottom