iPad Pro desktop replacement questions.

Associate
I have just bought an iPad Pro. I would like to use it as a tablet and as a desktop replacement. It’s just for general usage. Nothing to taxing.

But what I like to ask is what limitations are there to using an iPad Pro as a desktop replacement in regards to hardware like what can I attach and not attach and software wise regarding iPadOS.

I have used MacOS before but that was 6 years ago and wondering if the experience would be similar or completely way off.

Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Soldato
I made the jump away from a MacBook Pro to iPad Pro earlier this year, but I won't shift away from my iMac.

I used my MacBook for quite limited but specific purposes - some work, with Citrix for Outlook, MS Office etc, photo and video editing on the move, managing photo and video files when away on my bike and mapping GPS route and transferring them to my bike sat nav, again when on the move. Previously I'd be able to do all this with the MacBook, a few cables, a dongle (thank you Apple) and an external HDD. Since iOS 13, I can now do all of this with the iPad Pro.

The iPad Pro powers an external HDD with no problem, and I've had it powering two with equal ease. I can transfer files direct from a SD card to the HDD via the iPad with no issues, and then edit from the HDD too. The entry level file system combined with a dongle means that I can transfer pretty much anything to anything. Lightroom on iPad works really well for the most part, with only a couple of annoying quirks (cannot duplicate an image or import it twice), and basic video editing in iMovie is much improved from previous versions.

So, for my limited mobile scenarios, it works really well. It just feels more portable than the MacBook, and more durable and robust. In terms of power (I have the current version 12.9") it is a beast. I've not noticed it being any slower than the MacBook at comparable tasks. You can see why Apple may be thinking about running these processors in Macs in the future.

But would I use it to replace a desktop? No. I'm still wedded to the mouse, I love the 5k display and the i9 CPU is a monster.

Soldato
I made the jump away from a MacBook Pro to iPad Pro earlier this year, but I won't shift away from my iMac.

I used my MacBook for quite limited but specific purposes - some work, with Citrix for Outlook, MS Office etc, photo and video editing on the move, managing photo and video files when away on my bike and mapping GPS route and transferring them to my bike sat nav, again when on the move. Previously I'd be able to do all this with the MacBook, a few cables, a dongle (thank you Apple) and an external HDD. Since iOS 13, I can now do all of this with the iPad Pro.

The iPad Pro powers an external HDD with no problem, and I've had it powering two with equal ease. I can transfer files direct from a SD card to the HDD via the iPad with no issues, and then edit from the HDD too. The entry level file system combined with a dongle means that I can transfer pretty much anything to anything. Lightroom on iPad works really well for the most part, with only a couple of annoying quirks (cannot duplicate an image or import it twice), and basic video editing in iMovie is much improved from previous versions.

So, for my limited mobile scenarios, it works really well. It just feels more portable than the MacBook, and more durable and robust. In terms of power (I have the current version 12.9") it is a beast. I've not noticed it being any slower than the MacBook at comparable tasks. You can see why Apple may be thinking about running these processors in Macs in the future.

But would I use it to replace a desktop? No. I'm still wedded to the mouse, I love the 5k display and the i9 CPU is a monster.

How well does it work with Citrix? Presumably you're using a mouse? My main use case for an iPad would be Citrix, but I'm not sure how successfully things like Windows' keyboard shortcuts etc would translate? Are there any frustrations?

Associate
OP
So I got a IPad Pro and was looking forward to making it a desktop/laptop replacement. It seems to tick all the boxes I need it for, although it it won’t replace my main machine. I have a Logitech k810 keyboard I can use with it and a small stand. I love the form factor and the whole setup besides one thing. As soon as it arrived I opened it up and powered it on. The first thing I notice is that it is an LCD screen. Everything I love about the iPad Pro is negated by that screen.

Sure it might have 120 pr0 motion and True Tone. I don’t use True Tone on my pro max and while I loved the fast refresh rate it wasn’t any better than my Asus Gsync monitor that I use to have. I can’t remember the last time I purposely bought an item with LCD technology. My iPad 5th gen was a gift but if it wasn’t there is no way I would buy one due the screen.

As long as I could build PC’s I have never owned a LCD monitor. As long as I have owned TV’s only one in the past 10 years has been LCD. I have never owned a phone in the last 10 years which has been LCD. WHat I am getting at I don’t like LCD panels.

I am not sure why I would think there would not be a LCD panel in the IPad Pro. I just figured that even though the last Apple products I bought (MacBook pro, Imac etc) that the days of LCD and especially if you are marketing with a “pro” moniker would not be using LCD. Or maybe I have just been spoiled by Oled display and Sips monitors.

But I love the form factor, the design, the power it has. Although I would like the ability to properly output to an external display rather than screen mirroring it.

Back
Top Bottom