Computer sometimes very very slow after boot

Associate

EDIT: In case anyone else has this issue, I appear to have fixed it (has not happened in over a month) by disabling "fast boot" within the BIOS. Thanks "Dave Burton" for the suggestion!

Hey, I've had the below system for around 3 years, iirc only change was upgrading the PSU back in May last year. I've been having an issue the past month and I'd like to finally solve what it's causing it so I'd appreciate any help.

Intel Core i5-4670K @ 4.0GHz
Gigabyte Z87-HD3 Intel Z87
Kingston HyperX Genesis Grey 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
Seasonic FocusPlus 750W Platinum Modular
Gigabyte G1 1080 GTX
Windows 10 Pro

So, 99% of the time my computer runs absolutely fine. I can stream, game & do whatever I want without issues. The issue I'm experiencing happens after I turn my computer on. Everything runs extremely slowly, even opening a notepad takes 20-30 seconds, moving my mouse across the screen will freeze and take multiple seconds, entering task manager can take up to several minutes... basically it's completely screwed during this. The very first time this happened, I rebooted my pc and it wouldn't turn on - for about 40 minutes I spent time restarting and eventually it worked fine.

The second time, rebooting instantly fixed it. The third time, I decided to look at running processes etc (a very very slow task as you could imagine during this) and I did notice one thing I'll mention below (event viewer) and the stranger thing is, after about an hour it suddenly started running fine and I had done absolutely nothing to cause this... it ran fine for a week after this (I don't run my pc all the time, it gets turned on each day) so what I've done since then is:

- update my graphics driver (mine was rather old, 398.82)

- check for windows updates (nil, are automatic)

- checked ssd health (in good health according to samsung magician and some other software I checked with I forgot the name of)

- checked memory through windows test which presented no errors

- monitored temperatures for a couple of days, all good there

- double-checked for any virus or malware, again nothing

- re-seated my gpu & ram (did not notice anything being loose however)

But then it happened again just today. Event viewer showed the same error as it did during the previous issue occuring which makes me think it might point to the problem and I also noticed something with my gigabyte software (which I've had for as long as I've had this computer). Gigabyte xtreme gaming engine was displayed as "very high" power usage, 32% cpu usage and 30% memory usage within task manager where normally it's "very low" power usage with 0% cpu usage and 0% memory usage so the first thing I did was end that process, which DID speed things up, opening things went from a 10-30second delay to 2-4 seconds so much better but still not working correctly. I then loaded a game to test and it ran very slowly (high fps, but mini freezes) and then my mouse cursor disappeared when I switched to fullscreen so I rebooted & it has been running fine again since.

The event viewer errors I saw are below, the reason I think these may have some insight to give into the issue is they have shown up during my pc running slowly on boot 2 out of 4 times, potentially all 4 times but as I don't recall their dates I've not been able to check, the errors are;

This one was first both times on boot: "The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device HID\VID_0951&PID_16A4&MI_03&Col02\7&1c94fa2&0&0001."

Followed by: "The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM server application with CLSID"

Lastly: "The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer."

So overall this has happened randomly, roughly once per week for the past month, only when booting up my system. Anyone experienced this before? Does this point to anything in particular? I'd really like to get this resolved ^^

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Soldato
There was a thread a week ago with the event id 14 error, pointed to a driver problem, can you roll back your driver or try taking GPU out and running on onboard gfx.

Associate
OP
There was a thread a week ago with the event id 14 error, pointed to a driver problem, can you roll back your driver or try taking GPU out and running on onboard gfx.
Hmmm, problem with that is I want to be able to use my computer, and this happens maybe once every 7 boots (roughly) but as that's one boot per day it could take many more reboots to test and wouldn't get anywhere, besides I don't think I have onboard graphics. Driver wise as in first post have this issue with an old driver and also the newest.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had a quick google on the event id 14 error, there is a long thread on nvidia forums but no solution, people saying they've had problem for months/years.

Soldato
I had a quick google on the event id 14 error, there is a long thread on nvidia forums but no solution, people saying they've had problem for months/years.

Associate
OP
Mhm found people with that error but not read anyone posting with this specific slowdown/freezing issue with it

Associate
It's been mentioned a few times on here, but turning off the fast boot in power options may help. I've personally had issue with that setting causing a USB TV stick to sometimes not work on boot, turning it off proving an instant fix.

Soldato
i had similar before, turned out my pc didn't like my cheapo tesco bluetooth adapter been plugged in when it booted up and fast boot was just reloading the same problem on a reboot.

turned of fast boot and i never have the usb bluetooth plugged in on boot up any more.

no more mental cpu usage locking up my mouse every few seconds for several seconds, hope this helps as it was driving me insane on a new 6600k rig a few year back :)

Back
Top Bottom