• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Budget RX 5700XT round up, what good, whats bad.

Caporegime
I thought this might be useful for people looking for good quality budget RX 5700XT's.

Best: Gigabyte Gaming OC or Sapphire Pulse. very good cards.
Powercolor Red Dragon is also a good card.

Avoid the Asus TUF, its complete junk, not Steve's opinion but mine, however he did a previous tear-down on the card, its just cheaply made and the Memory IC's overheat, no really they run hotter than Microns safe limits.
Asus are just using their name sake for marketing, completely cheaping out on their sub premium products. If a much smaller company like Powercolor can design and build a high quality budget card there is no reason why Asus can't.

Last edited:

Ree

Ree

Associate
it's amazing the corner cutting that goes on and these companies have the audacity to charge even more for the privilege.

Associate
Asus' AMD cards have sucked for the past couple gens. I always just go Sapphire for AMD now, would be willing to try Powercolor on my next card they always make great AMD cards too.

OcUK Staff
Asus' AMD cards have sucked for the past couple gens. I always just go Sapphire for AMD now, would be willing to try Powercolor on my next card they always make great AMD cards too.

Sapphire, Powercolor, Asrock all make their coolers specifically for the AMD card, so the GPU, VRM and RAM are generally all effectively cooled.

The problem as I see it brands like Asus, MSI and Gigabyte make both AMD and NVIDIA graphics boards, to reduce cost they attempt to use same/similar/modified coolers across both types, as such this does not always go to plan, hence some of the VRM temp issues seen in particular on Asus cards, as the cooler was originally typically designed for a NVIDIA board, they then essentially modified it to fit AMD instead of re-designing from ground up.

That is why when it comes to AMD cards Sapphire and Powercolor should always be your primary choice as they do put a lot of effort, R&D and testing into their products, it is why the Nitro and Devil cards cool so well.

Caporegime
OP
EVGA surprised me with that one

Yeah me too TBH, espesially with the Nvidia connection, they are to Nvidia like Sapphire are to AMD.
I have always thought very highly of EVGA, i have one of their PSU's, Supernova 650GS, at £95 it was expensive for a 650 Watt PSU but damn its good.... and despite its small size it weighs as much as a breezeblock, always a good sign of quality.

I guess no matter who they are they can all have their "don't give a ####" moment, that was bad what they did with that GTX 1660S.

Associate
I thought this might be useful for people looking for good quality budget RX 5700XT's.

Best: Gigabyte Gaming OC or Sapphire Pulse. very good cards.
Powercolor Red Dragon is also a good card.

Avoid the Asus TUF, its complete junk, not Steve's opinion but mine, however he did a previous tear-down on the card, its just cheaply made and the Memory IC's overheat, no really they run hotter than Microns safe limits.
Asus are just using their name sake for marketing, completely cheaping out on their sub premium products. If a much smaller company like Powercolor can design and build a high quality budget card there is no reason why Asus can't.

After the trash that was the strix v64, im not sure id ever part with money for an asus card.

Associate
Almost chose red devil 5700xt, in the end went with nitro, about 25% less weight than the vega 56 nitro it replaces, 56 nitro so solid and full of quality, anyway 5700xt nitro is very nice with very quiet fan curve 15%, core idles at around 30c, junction temp 32c, load when gaming is 60c on core, junction temp 78/80c at 52% fan speed which is not noisy at all, card cools down very quick when back to idle, so very pleased so far, time will tell with the choice I made

Soldato
Sorry, it was EVGA.... https://youtu.be/GO0tpsPm0F8?t=184

EVGA don't give a hoot about Nvidia?

The GTX 1080 I had was an FTW EVGA and like many others it kept blackscreening for no obvious reason there was a thread about it here at the time... eventually it turned out EVGA had skimped on cooling the VRM's they admitted it eventually. Overall build quality of the card was poor I thought. I swore I'd never have another.

I'm not sure why they get such glowing praise I guess its all down to marketing spin the Rep is/was very active here saying they'd turn it around in 24 hours etc and people were praising him/them for it... when I actually contacted EVGA for RMA they basically replied you're having a laugh mate...

But I expect nothing will change reputation wise they seem to be masters of spin rather like Nvidia.

n.b. I have an EVGA platinum PSU too and I've no complaints about that but their cards I stay away from.

Last edited:
Associate
Good info.
About Asus, owned a HD7970 DirectCUII and it was superb. Good temperatures, and hot air efficiently blown outside the case.
But that was quite some time ago.
Quite happy with my EVGA 2080, just went down water because the idea was to keep as cool and as quiet as possible.

Soldato
For me it's Sapphire = PowerColor > XFX, but still pay attention to the reviews for each, because they also mess up from time to time or the ranking changes for a particular variant (Eg XFX had the best RX 480 by far).

I avoid everything else for AMD, just not worth it.

Ree

Ree

Associate
For me it's Sapphire = PowerColor > XFX, but still pay attention to the reviews for each, because they also mess up from time to time or the ranking changes for a particular variant (Eg XFX had the best RX 480 by far).

I avoid everything else for AMD, just not worth it.

had the gtr black 480 and honestly i think it was the best card i've owned (sold it during the mining craze for well over what i paid and managed to get a 1080 lol) was a great overclocker too. xfx dropped the ball this round though with the thicc going by reviews. am looking to go gigabyte for the xt this time which looks decent enough or might get a 2070s if prices come down a bit during bf.

Soldato
had the gtr black 480 and honestly i think it was the best card i've owned (sold it during the mining craze for well over what i paid and managed to get a 1080 lol) was a great overclocker too. xfx dropped the ball this round though with the thicc going by reviews. am looking to go gigabyte for the xt this time which looks decent enough or might get a 2070s if prices come down a bit during bf.

£409 currently on here for Gaming OC XT... not sure if NON XT Gaming OC model will be stocked by OCUK soon =/

Gigabyte have hit back will with AMD cards. Vega ones weren't too bad, lot better then RX 4**/5** bar the 580 RTX . Navi based cards will have to overcome the brand power Sapphire, xfx and powercolor have maintained for a long while!

Soldato
Just had one of those MSI 5700XT Mech OC's given to me for a build I am doing, though it was going to be absolutely terrible, it turned out ot be fine. I did a quick sound level comparison with a 'normal' Asus 5700 XT reference card, not louder, which I was surprised at since a few people (maybe just review parroting) said it was epically loud.
It seems that it does require good cooling from the case fans, as prior to installing them and configuring them it was much louder just on doing a basic burn-in test, with the case fans in place running a 3Dmark stress test it's barely audible.

OcUK Staff
Just had one of those MSI 5700XT Mech OC's given to me for a build I am doing, though it was going to be absolutely terrible, it turned out ot be fine. I did a quick sound level comparison with a 'normal' Asus 5700 XT reference card, not louder, which I was surprised at since a few people (maybe just review parroting) said it was epically loud.
It seems that it does require good cooling from the case fans, as prior to installing them and configuring them it was much louder just on doing a basic burn-in test, with the case fans in place running a 3Dmark stress test it's barely audible.

The Mech's have more cooling potential as they have a larger heatsink and MSI put powerful fans on there too so if you dial them upto 100% then they make noise, so reviewers are experiencing the card ramping up and thus they make noise, but for normal use they cool well and are reasonably quiet.

To be honest the Mech's are the best value for money NAVI purchase right now, especially the 5700 at £299.

Associate
The Mech's have more cooling potential as they have a larger heatsink and MSI put powerful fans on there too so if you dial them upto 100% then they make noise, so reviewers are experiencing the card ramping up and thus they make noise, but for normal use they cool well and are reasonably quiet.

To be honest the Mech's are the best value for money NAVI purchase right now, especially the 5700 at £299.

Hi Gibbo, The Powercolor Dual Fan 5700 or 5700xt - I cannot find any reviews or info on how these cards performs, what the temps like on the card and whats the noise like. Whats your take?? Also do they have dual bios .

Will there be other 5700/xt cards on sale for black friday?

Back
Top Bottom