Road Cycling

Soldato
External cabling is so under-rated.

Ran new shift cable outer and inners in 15 minutes, no swearing, contortion, upside down magnets required. Just nice and simple a joy to do almost!

Too icey to ride, maybe turbo later. Fingers crossed my mudflaps arrive back end of the week and I’ll be all set for next weekend!

Soldato
Some bikes are a joy to cable internally mate. Big enough holes for cables to come out easy or plates that can be removed etc.

Focus cayo have a fully moulded in tube that takes the cable all the way through but most have moved away from that to just a big hollow space.

No bike for me this morning -3.5c when I dropped the mrs at work, I'm going out delivering JustEat at 4.45pm though so I'll see how that goes.

Soldato
Ha! Got as far as I could for now and ordered most of the rest of the parts.

I have to fit mudguards/brakes, finish the brake cable outers, fit and adjust chain/gears and fit seat & seatpost.

Spent this evening wrapping the bars, not the best I’ve done, they are a classic round shape and bit smaller than the carbon aero ones so the tape wrinkled easier on curves/tight bends.

I’m using supercaz as I like the bar ends and it grips well in the wet. The cheap Deda tape wraps easy but is so slippy, plus once it’s on if you unwrap it then it almost always rips. I find lizard skins and supercaz you can remove and rewrap it a couple of times.

Maybe after I ride it a little I’ll redo it, see how it beds in.

Soldato
The cheap Deda tape wraps easy but is so slippy, plus once it’s on if you unwrap it then it almost always rips. I find lizard skins and supercaz you can remove and rewrap it a couple of times.

I decided to electrical tape the bars before putting tape on last time I changed tape. I do feel like the tape may have lasted less time but I've rewrapped it 2-3 times with ease.

Soldato
Usually bedding in will it be getting baggy if it's not quite tight enough.

Don't be scared to pull it taut which goes against the 'do not stretch' you see on lizard skin but it takes quite a bit of force to do that.

I like Supacaz tape, I think I showed the pink/blue fade one on here and I personally like the black with colour accents.

Soldato
I think the bike gremlins were in my garage over the weekend.

Did a quick turbo session on Friday night, bike was fine. Went out for a another session on Sunday and the back tyre was flat :rolleyes:

Started to fit the mudguards and pannier rack to the Dolan but by 5pm on Saturday I couldn't feel my toes anymore, so binned it off and went inside to light the log burner to thaw out.

Soldato
Topped up the fluid in my front brake a week ago. Spongy & noisy brake with low power came back end of last week, knowing it couldn't be fluid again so soon I put it down to the pads being about done... Seems not. Took my wheel out and noticed brake fluid on the disc rotor...! :o:eek::confused:

So looking quite a bit closer, fluid is coming out around the seal next to the piston. Thankfully I don't think that means my piston is cracked, but no idea what I can do about the seal...

Took the caliper off, pushing the piston back (the one where it's leaking) it feels a bit 'crunchy' when trying to push it back in the body. It also doesn't seem to push back in as far as the other. As if there's some grit or something behind it. It could be the rear of the piston broken, would explain much of it.

@Jonny ///M heard of anyone repairing an RS-785?

Reading here it looks a very simple design and possibly repairable!?

https://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/ever-wondered-how-hydraulic-brake-calliper-works-848452.html

Need to track one down so I can order a new one before I get too involved in taking it apart... Rode the Zwift bike today and position is far too aggressive/slammed on the road, not to mention how uncomfortable 25mm tyres are, or the wet arse as no mudguards... :rolleyes:

Now the moral dilemma. Order just the caliper for £54 next day from Evans', or find some excuse to order the 785 di2 levers & calipers for £230, use one caliper and put the rest up for next year and switch over to DI2... So.Very.Tempting! :o

Last edited:
Soldato
Shimano calipers go in the **** it bucket.

Make sure the part number is the same. BR-R785 will be a banjo fitting requiring a MTB caliper. BR-RS785 is a straight hose fitting and in line with all the up to date calipers.

Soldato
the cost of labour for a bike shop to rebuild your caliper probably wouldnt be far off the cost of a new one - probably why there's no spares - the money goes in shimano's pocket and not the shop.

Soldato
Are bikes becoming like computers?

I'm currently holding out for an internally routed, flat-disc-mount carbon frame, but now I see I may have to wait fir the next gen...

Why/what you holding out for?

When in the LBS yesterday I had a quick scout of a Giant Defy with Shimano Hydraulic Di2 on it in the Workshop... With the integrated stem. Looks a little bit messy as on the model there it had the cables outside the bars then entering the sides of the stem. I thought the newer ones where all internal but might be mistaken. Integrated stem looks really tidy and the guys said very service friendly. Hex bolts holding the top cover on, internals held inside, little flaps on the sides to get to the stem bolts without tools. Very impressed. Although the guys said the Giant hydraulic brakes are horrible as they have a reservoir in the stem so really awkward to work with and best avoided. So go full Shimano with them. Di2 works best, as mechanical things get a little bit tight, but still much better than the Trek Madone/Domane integrated combo. That one is just a nightmare by all accounts. The Specialized one is good when setup but a pain to build with and get right, then not that serviceable afterwards.

Really think at the moment my next bike is going to be a Giant Propel... I can't justify the cost of top end Specialized. But then I am also thinking 2 seasons ahead - who knows what elese will have taken my fancy by then!

I'm going out delivering JustEat at 4.45pm though so I'll see how that goes.

20 miles on a mountain bike making paper :cool::D
Timestamps on your post - it took you 5 hours to do 20 miles?! Cold food! :D

Shimano calipers go in the **** it bucket.

Make sure the part number is the same. BR-R785 will be a banjo fitting requiring a MTB caliper. BR-RS785 is a straight hose fitting and in line with all the up to date calipers.
Yup straight fitting for me.

Anything to watch out for when just buying and fitting a replacement new BR-RS785 (thanks for the pointer) to an old system? I didn't bleed the system but inverted the bike last night and unscrewed the caliper, host twists a little but rather than putting a kink in it I rotated the caliper to unscrew it, is that the usual trick? Hose nut-fitting bit doesn't spin? Or mine is seized? Will do a full bleed when new caliper is fitted. Is it just a straight screw in & fit? No additional sealing or anything required? I don't have any kit to do with with cutting/fitting hoses/banjo's etc (yet, may need to in future)!

the cost of labour for a bike shop to rebuild your caliper probably wouldnt be far off the cost of a new one - probably why there's no spares - the money goes in shimano's pocket and not the shop.
Yeah I wouldn't get them to repair, but looking at that guide last night will take it apart myself to judge what's happened (expecting similar to this). Just quite interested in the internals as they look so simple now! :cool:

Have seen compatible ceramic pistons and new seals being sold on the 'bay. Non-shimano but for a couple of quid I may do that to see how repairable/swappable they are. Would have a spare caliper then.

Last edited:
Soldato
£2K TT bike, Am I right in thinking the Canyon is the best bet here:
Felt AR5
Canyon Speedmax CF7
Cervelo P2

Also saw a Vitus Auro CR - but never heard of them before. So no idea if I should even give it a consideration? The Felt and Cervelo are a bit cheaper but harder to find (I guess stock is changing over to 2020?)

I cant go much more than 2K. Will be used for Biathlons and HAS to be a TT bike (no compromise)

Soldato
Felt AR5
Canyon Speedmax CF7
Cervelo P2

Also saw a Vitus Auro CR - but never heard of them before. So no idea if I should even give it a consideration? The Felt and Cervelo are a bit cheaper but harder to find (I guess stock is changing over to 2020?)

I cant go much more than 2K. Will be used for Biathlons and HAS to be a TT bike (no compromise)

have you got fast wheels to go on? cos if not a planet x/ribble/dolan and some fast wheels might be a better bet

Soldato
Timestamps on your post - it took you 5 hours to do 20 miles?! Cold food! :D

Yup straight fitting for me.

Anything to watch out for when just buying and fitting a replacement new BR-RS785 (thanks for the pointer) to an old system? I didn't bleed the system but inverted the bike last night and unscrewed the caliper, host twists a little but rather than putting a kink in it I rotated the caliper to unscrew it, is that the usual trick? Hose nut-fitting bit doesn't spin? Or mine is seized? Will do a full bleed when new caliper is fitted. Is it just a straight screw in & fit? No additional sealing or anything required? I don't have any kit to do with with cutting/fitting hoses/banjo's etc (yet, may need to in future)!

Cheeky *******!

Fastest Burger King delivery in EK mate! It will turn into good training as MTB + block of flats on my back sprinting around keeps me warm.

Those nuts can get stuck to the hose a bit, it should spin free and give the hose a clean once it does. The olive that is on there should be fine to use again, I've certainly never had any issues doing it that way.

Felt AR5
Canyon Speedmax CF7
Cervelo P2

The Felt is an aero road bike vs two TT bikes?

The Felt B12/16 IA or DA are the proper TT bikes.

Soldato
Felt AR5
Canyon Speedmax CF7
Cervelo P2

Giant Trinity is what every tester and their dog is riding in the UK at the moment.
As said the Felt you listed isn't a TT specific bike.

Ridley Dean could be good shout also.

Associate
depends on if you can be bothered with building a bike from grounds up. Merlin has an Argon 18 E-117 frameset for £13xx. should be enough for planet X disc and 3-spoke then some cheaper 105 bits. I built mine recently, cost abit more because i went with integrated front and 1x Sram etap 11 (about 3k).

link:

https://www.merlincycles.com/argon-18-e-117-tri-frameset-122303.html

when i bought it a month ago, i paid 1500 =(

Soldato
Winter bike = done apart from mudguards and then setup the brakes.

Said delivery 15th but dunno if that is to Kinesis or direct to me...

If dry I can at least ride it and get the fit a little bit sorted!

Soldato
Delightful ride in through thick fog this morning, number of idiots (car drivers and cyclists alike) with no lights on was astounding! Could barely see 50m!

Had my deep winter Rapha gloves on and my left hand was numb still by the time I got in, right hand was fine, think I'll be moving to the lobsters for the morning rides in from now, far too painful to put up with.

Back
Top Bottom