First bike. Sv650?

Soldato
Had my eye on a Sv650 for a little while and had some questions.

As much as I would love a new shape sv650 I don't expect to keep it for more than 2 years so I think it's better to go older.

Apart from the gladius is there any other years I should avoid? Are the bikes that are around the year 2000 that I think are on carbs OK or the injection bikes worth the little bit extra?

Thanks.

Man of Honour
Avoid the k3/k4 as they had some differences that didn't carry on to k5 onwards. Carb/injection is personal preference really, I had a k5 because I prefered the look of the gen 2 models. Fuel injection is generally less hassle as well as there's no carbs that need cleaning/setting up.

Soldato
The carbs on the first gen SV650 can be a PITA, especially if the bike is not used regularly. Unless you specifically want a "curvy" then go for the best injection bike you can afford.

Soldato
Avoid the k3/k4 as they had some differences that didn't carry on to k5 onwards. Carb/injection is personal preference really, I had a k5 because I prefered the look of the gen 2 models. Fuel injection is generally less hassle as well as there's no carbs that need cleaning/setting up.

My K3 is what, 16 years old now? Still looks almost as good as new and works just as well as it ever did.

I do look after it though.

To the OP an SV 650 is a great bike, I have had mine a long time now I do have serious thoughts about changing but can never bring myself to do it.

I'd personally go K3 onwards, as fuel injection is just nicer to have, cold starts etc, just less hassle.

Soldato
It was my second bike, 2005 model, had great fun with it. Very forgiving, I rememeber a time the rear wheel slipped on gravel and it just sort of wiggled me back into shape. The power and wooly suspension will leave you wanting more but its a good bike to make those new rider mistakes on.

Soldato
I had a 2000 carb'ed SV. Great bike but had some floors. It didn't like cold starts in winter and even with the choke on full you would have to nurse the idle. It would eat oil which led to it running dry and having to replace the engine. The replacement engine got through it's oil in a month...so I part ex'ed it :D

They sound great with a non-standard exhaust and are nice for commutes and town riding. I think I had it for a year before wanting more power and went to the CBR

Soldato
OK so that's from about 2003 onwards? Ideally I want either a naked bike or full fairing one. Some seem to be like half fairing which I don't like.

The lower fairing panels were optional extras which is why the majority of bikes aren't fitted with them. You can still by the panels and fitting kit from Suzuki (££££) and aftermarket lower fairings are available.

Man of Honour
The lower fairing panels were optional extras which is why the majority of bikes aren't fitted with them. You can still by the panels and fitting kit from Suzuki (££££) and aftermarket lower fairings are available.
You definitely can't get the fitting kit anymore don't know about the actual panels.

Soldato
OP
Thanks all I just bought a low mileage 2006 sv650 that's fully faired but have 2 questions.

Its still got the big stock exhaust which I would like to change. Is a slip on the way to go? If so which brands should I look at for best sound/looks.

Secondly its got a aftermarket screen on which changes colour as you look at it like oil does. I don't like this and would rather a dark tinted one. Any recommendations on a firm to go with that will help better than a stock one for wind?

Sam

Back
Top Bottom