Best story in a video game?

Soldato
Any suggestions?

I think top tier games for storytelling for me have been Trails in the sky FC/SC and FFT. Looking for some more!

Preferably not too long in length unless they're good as time is short these days.

Soldato
Mass Effect series, 1, 2 and 3...forget Andromeda. They are very long though, but worth every second.

Easily the best story in video gaming ever, character progression coupled with so many choices that actually matter throughout each game. It's very special.

Soldato
Any suggestions?

I think top tier games for storytelling for me have been Trails in the sky FC/SC and FFT. Looking for some more!

Preferably not too long in length unless they're good as time is short these days.

Elder Scrolls Online. Summerset Expansion has a great story but overall the game is about storylines and quests.

Soldato
I like the stories in Borderlands 2, especially the main storyline and Tiny Tina's. You don't get to make choices as to the story outcome, but BL2 isn't that sort of game.

Soldato
Bioshock 1 is awesome, the rest are pretty good too.

As for something more recent... I can't believe I'm saying this, but here we are. The new CoD campaign was absolutely brilliant in my opinion and I'm going to replay through it this weekend.

Soldato
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver

MGS3: Snake Eater

Nier: Automata

The Last of Us if we're talking about the execution of the story

And a couple more but those spring to mind.

EDIT: Forgot Mafia I, this one is also a must.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd agree with the Mass Effect trilogy, even though it ended in the dumbest possible way.

I'd add the Mafia series to this - mainly for the first two titles whilst the third game didn't involve itself with the series until the latter stages. Also the Red Dead series as it has a lot of characters and history, especially since the second game came out.

Soldato
Other than what suggested above, Bioshock series is a good one and relatively short. Loved infinite and it’s dlc and it’s a relatively short game 12hrs or so. Infinite remains one of my favourite games to date, amazing story.

Other than that dq11 is great but a 70-80hr game to full completion, same with dq8 emulated. Both spectacular games though.

Soldato
I'd love to say Mass Effect, Soul Reaver, or Half Life 2, but the Mass Effect 3 failed due to the cataclysmically awful ending but as standalone games ME1 and ME2 were incredible; ME3 was actually a great game but that ending leaves such a sour aftertaste that I just can't rate it. Soul Reaver and Half-Life 2 never got finished story lines and ended abruptly which is really unfortunate, but what they brought was absolute genius of storytelling.

Due to that, I'd say either Nier: Automata, The Last of Us, BioShock 1, or Final Fantasy 9... and I'd really struggle to choose just one of them as each are incredible stories for their own reasons.

Back
Top Bottom