*** Nintendo Switch ***

Associate
Or just wait two days for real reviews?

There is some negative comments for sure, but the previews have been very positive as well. Making recommendations now is just conjecture.
So you rather take reviews over fanbase comments? Cutting 60% of the pokedex, poor optimisation, re-used models from previous titles and apparently the game is a lot shorter than the typical length. Some reporting finishing the game at 17-20 hours mark which for a main entry is way too short, i'm expecting at least 30+ hrs of experience.
I've stopped following reviews for years now as some of the games do not deserve the score they get be it poor or amazing, some of the reviews haven't even finish the game so how can they critic the game?

Associate
The vast majority of the fan base don't have their hands on the game yet is the point I'm making.

Like I said, it's conjecture at this point for the most part. The thing is you are making recommendations as per other peoples comments. Once the embargo lifts, lots more information is out there, better decisions can be made.

There are a few headline 'issues' being raised, but equally most of the previews from the community are very positive as well. Until they can give their full opinions then I think making a recommendation to buy a previous version is stupid...just wait?!

I'm not saying that you are wrong about the game, but I think the suggestion is daft.

Associate
The vast majority of the fan base don't have their hands on the game yet is the point I'm making.

Like I said, it's conjecture at this point for the most part. The thing is you are making recommendations as per other peoples comments. Once the embargo lifts, lots more information is out there, better decisions can be made.

There are a few headline 'issues' being raised, but equally most of the previews from the community are very positive as well. Until they can give their full opinions then I think making a recommendation to buy a previous version is stupid...just wait?!
A lot of the information has been confirmed and judging by whats available its lacking in many areas that makes it a Pokemon game, there would be some positive comments i'm sure but that doesn't take away the fact i'm just disappointed in what they have done to it.
Why I recommend previous title is because its a more polished game.

Associate
A lot of the information has been confirmed and judging by whats available its lacking in many areas that makes it a Pokemon game, there would be some positive comments i'm sure but that doesn't take away the fact i'm just disappointed in what they have done to it.
Why I recommend previous title is because its a more polished game.

The information is confirmed, but doesn't reflect how people are finding the game as a whole. Yeh it's disappointing to cut some pokemon, and some movesets etc. Plenty of casual players don't even come close to that level of interest though.

So you not liking it is fine, you not being happy is fine, making recommendations to others is probably best for people who have played both....

Soldato
Personally after reading all the negatives for SnS now and Gamefreek mentality towards it I would steer away from it now and buy Lets Go instead.

I think I'll make my own mind up and draw my opinion from my own experience, instead of others.
I'll be interested in what the reviews have to stay.

My copy of shield has been dispatched!

Soldato
I'm also interested to see how it reviews though I am not going to buy it yet. Let's Go was way too simplistic and a bit of a disappointment for me. I am hoping this will be better.

Soldato
Has anyone successfully shared digital games with a family member/friend, where they can both play the game at the same time, including online multiplayer, on their own Switch profile/account? i.e. the shared game has been bought on a third Nintendo account, which is shared with both consoles?

fez

fez

Caporegime
I'm also interested to see how it reviews though I am not going to buy it yet. Let's Go was way too simplistic and a bit of a disappointment for me. I am hoping this will be better.

I really enjoyed Lets Go but it was a massive nostalgia trip for me. I hadn't played a Pokemon game since yellow I think.

Soldato
I never get this arquement of some versions are too simplistic, all pokemon games have been simple, none of them are complex and involve complex puzzles.

All I'd say is last few seemed easier in regards to battles and not really having to worry if using a pokemon that is the weaker element

fez

fez

Caporegime
I never get this arquement of some versions are too simplistic, all pokemon games have been simple, none of them are complex and involve complex puzzles.

All I'd say is last few seemed easier in regards to battles and not really having to worry if using a pokemon that is the weaker element

With all the Pokemon games you can overpower the game really easily if you want. Its a childrens game at the end of the day. If you want a real challenge you have to create it yourself.

Man of Honour
Or just wait two days for real reviews?

There is some negative comments for sure, but the previews have been very positive as well. Making recommendations now is just conjecture.

People have been playing the full game for a few days.

I generally trust gamer opinions over reviewers, who don't want to upset big publishers and risk their preview privileges with a score below an 8.

Soldato
Have barely used my Switch this year. Was really looking forward to Pokemon but as I was looking forward to it I put myself on a media ban.

Remembered it was launching this week so I checked out the subreddit to see what was going on and this game seems to be surrounded with controversy and issues. Cancelled my pre-order and I am gutted at how bad this game looks like it'll be turning out

Associate
Scores are in from some suspect sources for Pokemon Sword and Shield...

"UPDATE 3: Pokemon Sword and Shield reviews have started to go live for Nintendo Switch.

Gamespot awards the game 9/10, describing it as an incredibly strong showing. IGN awards Sword and Shield 9.3/10, calling them the best games in the series.

UPDATE 2: Pokemon Sword and Shield fans should pay attention at 2pm UK time on November 13."
Source

Given the amount of noise being made on Reddit about this game having cuts left right and center, this doesn't seem to reflect.

EDIT

More scores coming through...

https://www.reddit.com/r/PokemonSwordShield/comments/dvsak5/pokemon_sword_shield_review_roundup/

Shawrey

Soldato

It's not really an argument as I've never played a Pokemon game before so I can't compare it to anything else other than it's turn based. I had hoped that the combat would've been deeper and require a bit more thought and effort. If that's not what they're about then that's OK it's just not for me.

Associate

I generally trust gamer opinions over reviewers, who don't want to upset big publishers and risk their preview privileges with a score below an 8.
Pretty much this.

Good example for me is how can games developed by Bethesda always get great scores(with exception of Fallout76) but yet has tons of bugs and still has the problem to this day? Any other publishers will have a drop in ratings if that was the problem with the game but bethesda and even Nintendo gets the exception from journalist.
To me that is providing misinformation to consumers in assuming the game is actually good, a lot of people would only look at the final verdict score and not read the in-depth review to decide if the game is worth purchasing or not.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I think its a bit of both. There are plenty of people on Reddit who got the game early and are saying its really good. Its not perfect but lots of people are losing their **** over something that is not important to most people. Yes its important to them but its not important to the average gamer who isn't a massive pokemon fanboy.

Associate

The outrage and entitlement is strong with a franchise as beloved as Pokemon though I feel. I can understand it, 100%, but equally they aren't the best measure of objectivity either..

My usual approach. Metacritic average score, find reviews around the average and go from there.

Back
Top Bottom