• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New GPU but it's AMD vs Nvidia as always

Associate
I often find that trying to keep up to speed on all the graphics cards can become extremely time consuming, especially with so many sub categories.

I've decided it's time to upgrade my GPU as I currently run a GTX 970. This card has served me well for my gaming but with Borderlands 3 and Red Dead Redemption 2 it seems the card is a little tired and only just cuts into the minimal requirements. My qualm is which direction to go, AMD or Nvidia?

I've looked at the 5700 XT as well as the RTX 2070 Super and I'm unsure which path to go down. I've always had nvidia cards but they seem horrifically overpriced when compared to AMD, bang for your buck as it were. I'm not looking for super high end, I only run 1080 resolution so there's no real need for 4K support. I run an i7 6700k processor with 16GB DDR 4 all mounted on a Asus z170 gaming motherboard.

Can someone save me from the insantiy of what seems like an endless circle? Hoping to bag something with black friday sales :rolleyes:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I often find that trying to keep up to speed on all the graphics cards can become extremely time consuming, especially with so many sub categories.

I've decided it's time to upgrade my GPU as I currently run a GTX 970. This card has served me well for my gaming but with Borderlands 3 and Red Dead Redemption 2 it seems the card is a little tired and only just cuts into the minimal requirements. My qualm is which direction to go, AMD or Nvidia?

I've looked at the 5700 XT as well as the RTX 2070 Super and I'm unsure which path to go down. I've always had nvidia cards but they seem horrifically overpriced when compared to AMD, bang for your buck as it were. I'm not looking for super high end, I only run 1080 resolution so there's no real need for 4K support. I run an i7 6700k processor with 16GB DDR 4 all mounted on a Asus z170 gaming motherboard.

Can someone save me from the insantiy of what seems like an endless circle? Hoping to bag something with black friday sales :rolleyes:
2070S is the better card, but it does cost more money. If you are one for not upgrading often, then maybe get the 5700 XT. Just look at Pascal which is getting no support and getting serious left behind in benchmarks.

I am waiting for the RTX 3070 personally.

Associate
It depends which games you mostly play.

Some games the 2070 Super is faster, some games the 5700XT is faster, in some games they are both equal.

So it really just depends on which games you like to play most.

Soldato
Yep the consoles are all AMD based. RDR2 can make use of async compute, which Nvidia never bothered to implement properly.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the replies, I think the deciding factor would be what the prices are like for black friday and what this months pay packet's like!

Other quick question is, there are a lot listed with different brands, so there's Powercolor Radeon Red Devil RX 5700XT or there will be Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700XT. Is there any major difference as the prices seem to change and the only noticeable difference I can see is they'll either have 2 or 3 fans. :confused:

Soldato
there are a lot listed with different brands
If you're going with an AMD card then stick with the AMD-centric AIBs Powercolor and Sapphire. MSI have been great before (but suck with the 5700 XT) and Gigabyte are usually OK. Check reviews of course, but it's generally piec eof mind to just stay with Powercolor and Sapphire.

Mobster
Soldato
I think I was 12 going on 13 I started to seriously think for myself. I started to make big boy decisions.

Buy whatever you want, if thats a struggle, read the forum, there's countless pish written about each vendor's cards.

Associate
Neither.

Save yourself £300+ and buy both RDR2 and Borderlands 3 on Stadia, play at 4K/60 (or 1080/60 if you don't want to pay the £8 fee for 4K).

£350+ GPUs are looking rather silly at this point.

Soldato
Neither.

Save yourself £300+ and buy both RDR2 and Borderlands 3 on Stadia, play at 4K/60 (or 1080/60 if you don't want to pay the £8 fee for 4K).

£350+ GPUs are looking rather silly at this point.
But why would you do that? You were foaming at the mouth all princess stampy feet about how Navi is only a "console GPU", but now you're proposing a CLOUD solution?

Your trolling game is almost embarrassing at this point...

Soldato
Associate
But why would you do that? You were foaming at the mouth all princess stampy feet about how Navi is only a "console GPU", but now you're proposing a CLOUD solution?

Your trolling game is almost embarrassing at this point...

Again, here you are acting like a wee ******* cry baby. :rolleyes:

It's an opinion, if you don't like it then that's your problem. Deal with it.

So much group-think on here. It's pathetic.

Soldato
It's an opinion, if you don't like it then that's your problem. Deal with it.
And if you don't like your opinion being called out for the spurious ******** it that's your problem. Deal with it.

Love how you instantly deflect any counter opinion as "crying" and immediately go on the defensive with insults. Keep digging that troll hole, buddy, should be deep enough for you to get stuck in very soon.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
And if you don't like your opinion being called out for the spurious ******** it that's your problem. Deal with it.

Love how you instantly deflect any counter opinion as "crying" and immediately go on the defensive with insults. Keep digging that troll hole, buddy, should be deep enough for you to get stuck in very soon.
Lol :D

Caporegime
Thanks for all the replies, I think the deciding factor would be what the prices are like for black friday and what this months pay packet's like!

Other quick question is, there are a lot listed with different brands, so there's Powercolor Radeon Red Devil RX 5700XT or there will be Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700XT. Is there any major difference as the prices seem to change and the only noticeable difference I can see is they'll either have 2 or 3 fans. :confused:

You are gaming at 1080P

1660 super for £200 should be more than enough.

Back
Top Bottom