Ring doorbell wiring advice

Soldato
Hi all,

Looking at getting a Ring Pro on Black Friday (when they're always on sale) but want to know first that we can easily get the wiring sorted before committing to buying it on the day, as the Pro is wired only, so don't want to buy it then get stuck.

Wired shouldn't be too hard but I just need some advice.

Currently have a wired doorbell and the transformer seems to be part of the chime unit and outputs 6V as far as I can tell. Ring needs 16-24v I believe.

At the consumer unit/fuse box side (which is full) the doorbell has its own fuse (single width). I see a suitable 'fuse' with built in transformer can be purchased from screwfix for a small amount, but this is double width so it wouldn't fit as we have no spare slots in the consumer unit.

How easy is this going to be / where exactly does the transformer from the Ring Pro fit into all this?

Cheers!

x3FZPjn.jpg

e22ZTDC.jpg

Soldato
The pro comes with a transformer, just buy a housing box from screwfix and wire the transformer to a 3 pin plug you dont have to house it in the fuse box

Soldato
The pro comes with a transformer, just buy a housing box from screwfix and wire the transformer to a 3 pin plug you dont have to house it in the fuse box
This is what I did, and I have a chime that had an external transformer - it doesn't seem to mind the extra voltage (from 8v to 16v) from the Ring transformer, it's only an electromagnet anyway.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all responses. Will look into Nest Hello also.

Only issue with 3 pin plug is the wiring to get to a plug. The wire already runs all hidden away from doorbell to chime to fuse box (all of which are nowhere near plugs haha)

Soldato
With the nest hello you can use your Google mini/hub etc as the chime plus it'll say 'michael is at the door' or whoever you add to the facial recognition

Associate
bought the ring 2 and bought a solar panel to go with it, it never needs the battery changing at all over night it drops to like 96% by 8am its back upto 100% also if you have an echo you can set that up as the chime instead of buying the standalone chime.

Soldato
If I see one of those door bells I’ll literally ignore it and knock on the door. Im not there to rob you so dont film me.

Im sure that makes me some sort of Victor Meldrew or something.

Soldato
If I see one of those door bells I’ll literally ignore it and knock on the door. Im not there to rob you so dont film me.

Im sure that makes me some sort of Victor Meldrew or something.

It records you as soon as motion is detected. It'd be a pretty pointless piece of kit if it only filmed people who pressed the button :p

I'd replace the bell unit with a mini consumer unit housing. Take the 240v incoming supply to the bell and wire up the consumer unit (no plug required). then install the fuse from the Ring pro and wire up the other end.

Soldato
OP
It records you as soon as motion is detected. It'd be a pretty pointless piece of kit if it only filmed people who pressed the button :p

I'd replace the bell unit with a mini consumer unit housing. Take the 240v incoming supply to the bell and wire up the consumer unit (no plug required). then install the fuse from the Ring pro and wire up the other end.
Oooo this is great idea! Didn't think of that.

Is that a legit / approved 'installation' so to speak from an electrical safety perspective? Having one consumer unit hanging off another?

Associate
Hah, I didn't know it could do that! I just enabled it and tested it and now all the Echos in my house bark "someone is at the front door" at the same time :D
yep i have a stupid number of echos around my home so i have no excuse if someone rings my doorbell not to hear it, even have one out in the garage which has actually saved my bacon a few times with deliveries

Soldato
I think this applies to Nest Hello as well as Ring Pro, so you'll have the same issues. My door chime doesn't work with my Nest Hello as it's AC powered with an 8V transformer in the box, but I have a 24V transformer running from the main board to the Nest so the functionality is there. I was going to mess around with changing the transformer in the bell but it was only £11.99 so I won't bother. I might try and source a 24V one from abroad.
I have a number of Google/Nest Home products that tell you someone's at the door but annoyingly they aren't in synchronisation with each other.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I think this applies to Nest Hello as well as Ring Pro, so you'll have the same issues. My door chime doesn't work with my Nest Pro as it's AC powered with an 8V transformer in the box, but I have a 24V transformer running from the main board to the Nest so the functionality is there. I was going to mess around with changing the transformer in the bell but it was only £11.99 so I won't bother. I might try and source a 24V one from abroad.
I have a number of Google/Nest Home products that tell you someone's at the door but annoyingly they aren't in synchronisation with each other.
Cheers! It sounds like from what I'm reading the 'chime' from the google products isn't very loud. So I will probably look at a new chime/transformer unit that can hopefully kill two birds one stone, to act as a chime AND also have a suitable transformer to provide the right voltage to the Nest

Time to do some digging.

They already published the black friday pricing on the google store.. some decent savings!

Back
Top Bottom