** NEW LG MONITORS - INCLUDING 2 EXCLUSIVE TO OCUK!!! **

Associate
Latest news I had was that they were due to arrive at LG EU hub on 11/11/2019, but the booking slot they had there was 18/11/2019.

This seemed offensive given the wait the UK customers have had, so I've requested they make this stock a priority and improve the booking in slot, as well as making the forwarding of this stock to the UK distributor a priority.

I've also made the distributor aware of the above time-frames and asked them to give these a booking slot of max priority and ship them to OCUK as quickly as possible.

I'm doing what I can to get these monitors in the hands of those who've pre-ordered ASAP.

If they land on a Friday we'll upgrade those who want, and who contact sales (webnote with your order number, or call us), to a Saturday delivery at no extra cost.

I'll post here as soon as I have any more information.

@NikTheSHNIK - did the monitors arrive at the LG EU Hub on 11/11/2019?

Associate
Latest news I had was that they were due to arrive at LG EU hub on 11/11/2019, but the booking slot they had there was 18/11/2019.

This seemed offensive given the wait the UK customers have had, so I've requested they make this stock a priority and improve the booking in slot, as well as making the forwarding of this stock to the UK distributor a priority.

I've also made the distributor aware of the above time-frames and asked them to give these a booking slot of max priority and ship them to OCUK as quickly as possible.

I'm doing what I can to get these monitors in the hands of those who've pre-ordered ASAP.

If they land on a Friday we'll upgrade those who want, and who contact sales (webnote with your order number, or call us), to a Saturday delivery at no extra cost.

I'll post here as soon as I have any more information.

This was posted earlier in this thread @UncleSeano.

Associate
Yeah that's where I got the info thanks.

Was just trying to get a confirmation that only those who call up and say...'Hi, can I have fast delivery for free please' will get it

Soldato
Anybody who has this monitor can tell me how they are dealing with the lower contrast and IPS glow?
The default brightness is massively to high so I tilted the screen back a small amount which reduced a surprising amount of bleed/glow then lowered brightness down to 50. Which in turn makes deeper blacks and makes for my screen bleed unnoticeable while gaming. Others use a brightness of around 30.

Contrast is not a problem I don’t think many people could tell a noticeable difference in a blind test between 850ish and 1000 ish. For gaming its pretty much an unnoticeable difference.

It wasn’t the high refresh rate but the pixel response time that had the biggest impact for me. I wasn’t expecting such a noticeable difference. Even at 60hz/60fps this screen is massively smoother then then my old 60hz/60fps screen. Although I guess the difference depends on what you are coming from.

Associate
Well, maybe because i'm coming from a VA screen, but i'm having an hard time adjusting to the glow or contrast or whatever it is. It's not so much that the screen has bad blacks, but it feels like there's this heavy fog covering everything. I tried taking some pics but i can't seem to capture it:

https://imgur.com/a/ZWJkEmm

Those are taken with brightness at 10, btw. I use between 10-23 for desktop and 0-10 for games/movies, and the fog is there no matter what setting i use.

If the scene is near pitch black, it feels like i'm being "blinded", that's how bright the fog is. Could it be excessive iPS glow?

I have an old 23" IPS panel that's almost as bad, but the LG seems a bit worse to me:

https://imgur.com/a/HdW65Wn

I always thought the 23" was a bad unit, but i let it go because i paid like 100 bucks for it so whatever, but the LG 27GL850 is significantly more expensive and i'm trying to figure out if this level of fog is normal for IPS or if it's a bad unit.

Mind you, i'm only talking about the fog covering the screen. I don't mind that off angle glow, never bothered me on the 23" either. It's just that when i look at a dark scene there's this glowing fog over everything, blacks and colors alike. I mean i lucked out i think because there appear to be zero backlight bleed, but i'm just weighting if the glow is too much or not.

[EDIT] I can see the same thing here, so i guess this is just an IPS thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw77LN7sZsE&t=103s

And it's related to the glow and not the contrast. I assume that if i get another IPS screen, even one with better contrast, it's going to be the same, right?

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
OP
Yeah that's where I got the info thanks.

Was just trying to get a confirmation that only those who call up and say...'Hi, can I have fast delivery for free please' will get it

Will only be those that call up and request. Can't auto change everyone to a saturday delivery in case they don't want it delivered on a Saturday. Say perhaps if they have ordered it to their work address for a weekday delivery.

Asked LG earlier if theyd received on the 11th the account manager is chasing around tgrying to find out and has been since this morning. I'll update as soon as I have any information!

Associate
Thanks for the update.

Not very encouraging though, don't think we'll be seeing them at the end of this week. Oh well, a little bit more patience I think.

Associate
Well, maybe because i'm coming from a VA screen, but i'm having an hard time adjusting to the glow or contrast or whatever it is. It's not so much that the screen has bad blacks, but it feels like there's this heavy fog covering everything. I tried taking some pics but i can't seem to capture it:

https://imgur.com/a/ZWJkEmm

Those are taken with brightness at 10, btw. I use between 10-23 for desktop and 0-10 for games/movies, and the fog is there no matter what setting i use.

If the scene is near pitch black, it feels like i'm being "blinded", that's how bright the fog is. Could it be excessive iPS glow?

I have an old 23" IPS panel that's almost as bad, but the LG seems a bit worse to me:

https://imgur.com/a/HdW65Wn

I always thought the 23" was a bad unit, but i let it go because i paid like 100 bucks for it so whatever, but the LG 27GL850 is significantly more expensive and i'm trying to figure out if this level of fog is normal for IPS or if it's a bad unit.

Mind you, i'm only talking about the fog covering the screen. I don't mind that off angle glow, never bothered me on the 23" either. It's just that when i look at a dark scene there's this glowing fog over everything, blacks and colors alike. I mean i lucked out i think because there appear to be zero backlight bleed, but i'm just weighting if the glow is too much or not.

[EDIT] I can see the same thing here, so i guess this is just an IPS thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw77LN7sZsE&t=103s

And it's related to the glow and not the contrast. I assume that if i get another IPS screen, even one with better contrast, it's going to be the same, right?

Ironic because this is what I found with the VA panels I tried - they might have in "theory" had more contrast than an IPS but their colour reproduction and quality in general was so poor compared to IPS that they looked dire compared to my Mac screens. I've waited so long for this because IPS is the only thing that gives acceptable quality in my eyes.

There's a reason all reference monitors are IPS, VA doesn't get close - and this someone who owns the latest gen of OLED TV's at home, which obviously destroys VA in almost every way possible.

Associate
Hey,

Was talking to OCUK over webnotes, previous update was that they expect them in next two weeks or mid of November, had it on 30th of October.
Now was told that they expecting them in another two weeks which makes it end of November 8(

Was able to find few other shops in UK some with them in stock and some pending for stock.
Genuinely thinking about buying something else now and not from OCUK.

Associate
Ironic because this is what I found with the VA panels I tried - they might have in "theory" had more contrast than an IPS but their colour reproduction and quality in general was so poor compared to IPS that they looked dire compared to my Mac screens. I've waited so long for this because IPS is the only thing that gives acceptable quality in my eyes.

There's a reason all reference monitors are IPS, VA doesn't get close - and this someone who owns the latest gen of OLED TV's at home, which obviously destroys VA in almost every way possible.

No i agree that IPS is better in almost everything but VA simply looks better when it comes to anything with dark scenes.

I just set everything to zero on my LG, brightness, contrast and black level, and despite the fact the image of the game has disappeared almost completely there's still this white "sheen" in front of everything. That, more than the contrast, is what i think ruins the image on IPS screens when it comes to dark scenes in movies or games.

That said, i wasn't happy at all with the way my VA looked anywhere else. Desktop use in particular was pretty poor.

That said, i wonder if there's a lottery with this white fog as well. Googling IPS glow everybody just talks about the off angle glare, but this is not what bothers me at all. It's the fact i walk around in a game during a night scene and there's this white sheen of faint luminescence covering everything which brakes the immersion totally. I dislike it much more than any angle glare or anything like that.

Associate
The default brightness is massively to high so I tilted the screen back a small amount which reduced a surprising amount of bleed/glow then lowered brightness down to 50.

I have to use 10 or even 0 brightness. If i set it on 50 the white sheen is so intense it makes everything look washed out to an unbearable degree.

So either i have a faulty unit or your eyes are much less sensitive to this issue:

https://imgur.com/a/nHs73lE

First is at zero brightness, second is at 50%. I also tilted the screen like you said and now i can see some backlight bleed on the top right corner, haha. Nice.

Last edited:
Associate
Hey,

Was talking to OCUK over webnotes, previous update was that they expect them in next two weeks or mid of November, had it on 30th of October.
Now was told that they expecting them in another two weeks which makes it end of November 8(

Was able to find few other shops in UK some with them in stock and some pending for stock.

Tbh I'm thinking the same.. I know I've been waiting for almost 2 months now and there's not much left but still it's starting to get ridiculous how other retailers are getting it in stock...

Associate
Hey,

End of November sounds in line with what I got from my correspondence with LG two months ago. There will be big shipment to LG EU in Calendar Week 47 which should be available at retailers in CW48, there will also be new products alongside with that shipment. We'll see, hopefully OCUK picks up the 27GL83A-B

Back
Top Bottom