• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Duff fan bearing, any solution??

Soldato
Nah, I’m not trying to ‘get away’ with anything. If the fact is that peeling off that sticker cost me £600, then such is life.
sorry fella, not trying to suggest you are try to pull a fast one. to my mind the only people trying to 'get away' with anything are whoever is refusing the warranty due to the missing sticker. i'd be 99% certain there was no mention of warranty void if removed on that sticker. wear and tear/handling could remove it given it's on the backplate so i'd highly doubt the legality of refusing warranty just because it's missing. if the manufacturer hasn't the wit to put the serial number on the pcb or somewhere more discrete/secure that's on them not the consumer. i imagine though you'll get sorted, gigabyte and indeed giga-man are pretty damn good with warranty. dare i guess it's OcUK themselves that have rejected the return?

Soldato
I'd have thought it pretty obvious that removing the serial number would void your warranty, personally. There's simply no way that the retailer/manufacturer can be sure that you're not pulling a fast one by returning a broken card from Ebay or something if there's no serial number. They may decide to help you out as a courtesy though if you're polite about it.

Soldato
OP
sorry fella, not trying to suggest you are try to pull a fast one. to my mind the only people trying to 'get away' with anything are whoever is refusing the warranty due to the missing sticker. i'd be 99% certain there was no mention of warranty void if removed on that sticker. wear and tear/handling could remove it given it's on the backplate so i'd highly doubt the legality of refusing warranty just because it's missing. if the manufacturer hasn't the wit to put the serial number on the pcb or somewhere more discrete/secure that's on them not the consumer. i imagine though you'll get sorted, gigabyte and indeed giga-man are pretty damn good with warranty. dare i guess it's OcUK themselves that have rejected the return?

Yeah, it’s OcUK who have refused it, but I have to be fair and say that I’ve always found OcUK customer service to be top notch in the past. They’ve taken returns and refunded me for duff stuff without fuss before.

I’ve messaged customer service directly for clarification before I accept it.

We’ll see...

(the more I think of it, the more sure I am there was no ‘warranty void if removed’ warning on that sticker!)

Worst case I’ll sell it on MM, someone will get a massive (but slightly annoying) bargain, and I’ll get another... Ti??? :p

Soldato
Yeah, it’s OcUK who have refused it, but I have to be fair and say that I’ve always found OcUK customer service to be top notch in the past. They’ve taken returns and refunded me for duff stuff without fuss before.

I’ve messaged customer service directly for clarification before I accept it.

We’ll see...

(the more I think of it, the more sure I am there was no ‘warranty void if removed’ warning on that sticker!)

Worst case I’ll sell it on MM, someone will get a massive (but slightly annoying) bargain, and I’ll get another... Ti??? :p

Hopefully they will sort it for you.

I wouldn’t blame them though as I have lost serial stickers before and been refused warranty as someone else stated it could be any card being returned without the sticker.

If anything it’s only a fan. You could always get a replacement fan from another card.

Or even knock up a custom heatsink or AIO if it bothers you that much.

The Ti is an extremely powerful card so comes highly recommended, expensive though.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, I hear you all, it’s certainly not a complaint and if the warrant is void, it’s void, but it’s frustrating and worth a final check to be sure.

I reckon the card must still be worth £500, and that makes a Ti much more affordable.

(Ha, if OcUK see this, they’ll never help out if they think it’ll cost them the sale of a Ti :p)

Soldato
Yeah, it’s OcUK who have refused it, but I have to be fair and say that I’ve always found OcUK customer service to be top notch in the past. They’ve taken returns and refunded me for duff stuff without fuss before
yea OcUK are usually pretty good with their cs but like any retailer they'll often take the 'path of least resistance' which in this instance is to just say 'nope'
I'd defo be getting on to Gigabyte - raise a ticket on their website (their rep on here is top notch and has sorted bigger issues than this but he sometimes takes a while to reply due to other commitments), serial number may well be on the card elsewhere and while OcUK might knock it back gigabyte may well sort it directly.

Soldato
OP
yea OcUK are usually pretty good with their cs but like any retailer they'll often take the 'path of least resistance' which in this instance is to just say 'nope'
I'd defo be getting on to Gigabyte - raise a ticket on their website (their rep on here is top notch and has sorted bigger issues than this but he sometimes takes a while to reply due to other commitments), serial number may well be on the card elsewhere and while OcUK might knock it back gigabyte may well sort it directly.
Cheers dude. I’ll wait to hear back from OcUK, and hopefully the Gigabyte rep tagged in here before I do anything else.

Soldato
I would have binned it mate. :(

@GIGA-Man is off i believe till next week. mentioned it on another thread as well as being off for almost the whole of xmas.

hopefully the rep will see this next week and hoping you get a positive solution .

sticker would match serial codes on boxes, easy to swap them around etc so taking safety risks. but also easy enough to see you've just recently bought it all via OCUK in the last 2 weeks

Soldato
OP
Yeah, cheers all, fingers crossed it gets sorted.

There’s the full audit trail of the purchase, and even the contemporaneous thread of the build :p

Ultimately, this is about as ‘first world problem’ as it gets, so not worth too much upset, but it is a massive downer on a shiny new build I’ve been trying to sort out forever.

I’ll definitely keep you all posted.

Soldato
OP
*Update*

Had a reply from customer services and I’m told that the warranty is indeed void due to the sticker being removed.
However, they haven’t shipped it back to me yet and they’ll contact Gigabyte directly tomorrow and ask if they will accept it anyway.

I’m genuinely not saying this to keep them on side, but I really do think OcUK customer services is cracking.

If the warranty is void, they’re under no obligation to speak to Gigabyte on my behalf, and the fact they’re going to is top notch.

They’ve already made the sale, and could simply say no.

I’ll let you know when I know....

Associate
*Update*

Had a reply from customer services and I’m told that the warranty is indeed void due to the sticker being removed.
However, they haven’t shipped it back to me yet and they’ll contact Gigabyte directly tomorrow and ask if they will accept it anyway.

I’m genuinely not saying this to keep them on side, but I really do think OcUK customer services is cracking.

If the warranty is void, they’re under no obligation to speak to Gigabyte on my behalf, and the fact they’re going to is top notch.

They’ve already made the sale, and could simply say no.

I’ll let you know when I know....

Everything crossed for you! :)

Associate
Ok, appears that is US only but... if a fault develops you are still entitled under EU law to be covered for the first two years and that where a fault develops which isn't caused by you, you are still covered even if you did something else. Removing a sticker does not cause a fan to become faulty, the fault was there before.

Soldato
Good luck getting OCUK to get any warranty out of them quickly
I had a huge amount of trouble just getting 2 4GB sticks of ram replaced :(
The customer service has gone down the toilet in recent years
IMHO of course

Back
Top Bottom